Audrey Hepburn, (1929 - 1993) Belgian Actress, Pixie, Philanthropist, Polyglot, and Givenchy Fashion Icon

DIShGo

I will confess--I have always been infatuated with Audrey Hepburn. The pixie cut, the cigarette pants, those eyes! I grew up wanting to be her, and now, in my 50s, I still emulate her gamine fashion style.

I first became smitten with her when I saw her Oscar-winning performance in the 1953 romantic comedy, "Roman Holiday." She was just 24 when she landed the role of Ann, a princess who sneaks away from her royal duties for a day of fun in Rome with Gregory Peck. She went on to receive five Oscar nominations throughout her career, but this was her only win. She won a Tony award that same year for Best Lead Actress in a Play for her performance in Ondine. She remains one of the few people who have won Academy, Tony, Emmy and Grammy Awards.

Since I was a young girl, "Roman Holiday" has been one of my favorite films. It won three Academy Awards: best actress, costume design and screenwriting. I watched it again this week, and I still love it. It isn't the most complicated story. There aren't any special effects. But the chemistry between Peck and Hepburn is compelling, and the shots of Rome are delightful. The thing that makes this film a classic--the standard by which romantic comedies are judged, and often found lacking--is Audrey Hepburn.

She isn't the most beautiful film actress of her era, nor is she the most talented. But she is graceful, charming and beguiling. She has that "it" factor that makes it impossible to take your eyes off of her when she is on the screen. She radiates loveliness, kindness and approachability.

I have never been one to follow celebrities. When she died in 1993, I bought a copy of the commemorative People Magazine about her. I felt like the world lost a true icon, a woman with a spirit and style that inspires people to this day.

I enjoyed her performances in "Sabrina," "Charade," and "Wait Until Dark." I am not a "Breakfast at Tiffany's" fan, although that role is one that established her as one of the world's top fashion icons.

Born in Brussels, she lived in German-occupied territory during the second World War. She later became a ballet dancer, a model and an actress. Perhaps because of the adversity she faced as a child, Hepburn became an advocate for children in her later years, devoting much of her time to UNICEF.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2016 at 4:37 PM, DIShGo said:

I will confess--I have always been infatuated with Audrey Hepburn. The pixie cut, the cigarette pants, those eyes! I grew up wanting to be her, and now, in my 50s, I still emulate her gamine fashion style.

The thing that makes this film a classic--the standard by which romantic comedies are judged, and often found lacking--is Audrey Hepburn.

She isn't the most beautiful film actress of her era, nor is she the most talented. But she is graceful, charming and beguiling. She has that "it" factor that makes it impossible to take your eyes off of her when she is on the screen. She radiates loveliness, kindness and approachability.

I have to reference this.  Yesterday a student at the bar school (in my sig) showed me a picture she had taken on her mobile. She asked who it was.  It was Audrey Hepburn.  The student and her friend are from Asia, with some accent, most definitely in their young twenties.  She had taken the picture in a beauty salon from a wall poster.  She had no idea who it was but was entranced with Audrey Hepburn's look.  Then the two started going through Audrey Hepburn's pics...(and Kathryn Hepburn's also).

A beautiful stylish graceful classic look. It has survived and transcended the ages.  Quite a coincidence.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2016 at 4:37 PM, DIShGo said:

The thing that makes this film a classic--the standard by which romantic comedies are judged, and often found lacking--is Audrey Hepburn.

A more accurate update on the two women captivated by Audrey Hepburn's look, provided by their instructor who was there when I was asked the question by one of them.  They are both from Vietnam, having been in the states for about 1 year or less. One in her late 20's, one in her mid 30's.  Both were great students during the 40 hour program, and among distinguishing characteristics they were stylishly and impeccably dressed every day, they treated the program with seriousness, effort and attention and did well.

I'm so personally unacquainted with the kind of attention to beauty that they hold, but I witnessed it to great detail from my ex and certain of her friends with similar interests.  But as a movie watcher I'd agree; Audrey Hepburn had an "it factor".  She was the person on a screen I couldn't take my eyes off.  Some magical combination of beauty, grace, elegance, style, etc.  These two women, with zero knowledge about Audrey Hepburn seemed to be similarly infatuated.  Amazing.  A timeless style.

That is so great!!!!!!

• Like 2

On 5/9/2016 at 4:37 PM, DIShGo said:

I will confess--I have always been infatuated with Audrey Hepburn.

You, and me, and everyone else who ever lived.

Which female has the most Academy Awards? Think hard ...

The answer? Edith Head, who has *eight* Oscars for Best Costume Design.

Here's a wonderful short film, interviewing Edith Head talking about Audrey Hepburn, with actual footage of Hepburn's screen test for "Roman Holiday." It's only six-minutes long, and it's absolutely fascinating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcArCF-wEkU

• Like 1