"Robert Irwin: All The Rules Will Change" - Exhibition at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington, DC - Curated by Evelyn Hankins, Apr 7 - Sep 5, 2016

DonRocks

Remember the name Evelyn Hankins.

She is curating one of the two exhibits I've seen in 2016 that I can comfortably say are world-class (the other being the "Conversations" Exhibit at the National Museum of African Art).

The exhibit, "Robert Irwin: All The Rules Will Change" was, quite literally, an afterthought for me, as I had gone to the Hirshhorn to see the Linn Meyers exhibit, finished it in 30 minutes, and was determined to see one more thing before I left - it was sitting right in front of me, on the same floor (the second floor), so I figured, 'Why not?' It was one of the most serendipitous moves I've made in a long, long time, and I will remember this show for the rest of my life.

It ends on Sep 5, 2016, and I *urge* readers of this thread to get to the Hirshhorn, see the Meyers exhibit first (as I described in the post), and then see the Irwin exhibit second, traversing the museum clockwise, since it goes in chronological order that way.

The entire exhibition consists of a mere twenty pieces of art; yet, it's one of the most educational, enlightening, profound things I've ever seen in a museum - I cannot emphasize enough how great this is, and I promise you'll thank me if you go. It was *so refreshing* not to be overwhelmed by piece-after-piece, crammed into small spaces, which is what the vast majority of exhibitions do: This Irwin exhibition should be used as an exemplar for "How to arrange an art exhibition." Each of these pieces gets the space it so richly deserves - curators, if you're out there, *please* remember this: It was an absolute joy and delight to view this exhibit, and when I left, I wasn't fatigued in the least; I was exhilarated.

Robert Irwin is one of the most notable American post-WWII artists, and you'll see why after seeing this show. I include these photos for the memory and educational benefit of people *who have already seen the exhibit*, and I urge you not to look at them before you go - it would be like reading the SparkNotes for a novel, before setting out to read the novel. You'll be doing yourself a disservice, and I cannot attempt to dissuade you from clicking on these photos strongly enough, as I do not wish to cheat you out of this magnificent experience. Please stop, and come back after you've gone - I promise you it's for the best.

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

Don't go on unless you've already seen the show; if you have seen it, I hope these pictures bring back memories, and supplement your experience.

The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden is on Independence Avenue and 7th Street NW, and the entrance is on Independence Avenue - admission is free.

IMG_2233.jpg

The exhibit is on the second floor, on the outer periphery; the Linn Meyers exhibit, to be seen first, is on the second floor, on the inner periphery:

IMG_2216.jpg IMG_2215.jpg 

The late 1950's: Moving on from Abstract Expressionism into Hand-Held Paintings:

IMG_2217.jpg IMG_2218.jpg

Pick-Up Stick Paintings:

IMG_2219.jpg IMG_2220.jpg

1961-1964 - Line Paintings:

IMG_2221.jpg IMG_2222.jpg

Dot Paintings (These will not show up in a picture):

IMG_2223.jpg IMG_2224.jpg <--- I told you! I actually set off the alarm leaning forward to get a glimpse; the jovial guard said it happens all the time.

1966-1969 - Discs and Columns:

IMG_2227.jpg IMG_2226.jpg IMG_2228.jpg IMG_2225.jpg IMG_2229.jpg

"Square the Circle" (No Picture Taken, as its magnificence cannot be captured by a camera):

IMG_2230.jpg IMG_2231.jpg

An unedited interview from 1973 is near the exit:

IMG_2232.jpg

On 6/28/2016 at 10:46 AM, DonRocks said:

The entire exhibition consists of a mere twenty pieces of art; yet, it's one of the most educational, enlightening, profound things I've ever seen in a museum - I cannot emphasize enough how great this is, and I promise you'll thank me if you go. It was *so refreshing* not to be overwhelmed by piece-after-piece, crammed into small spaces, which is what the vast majority of exhibitions do: This Irwin exhibition should be used as an exemplar for "How to arrange an art exhibition." Each of these pieces gets the space it so richly deserves - curators, if you're out there, *please* remember this: It was an absolute joy and delight to view this exhibit, and when I left, I wasn't fatigued in the least; I was exhilarated.

Don't go on unless you've already seen the show; if you have seen it, I hope these pictures bring back memories, and supplement your experience.

This exhibit had an ethereal, otherworldly quality about it. The dot pieces (which I love), appear one way when you enter the room, and then transform into something completely different as you draw nearer. No wonder you and so many others set off the alarm!

The art has a simple elegance, an architectural quality; it feels retro and futuristic, all at the same time. I love seeing your photos, as they jog my memory about the exhibit, but these pieces must be seen in person to be appreciated.