Due South, The Yards - Chef Rusty Holman Comes From Bayou in West End

Not sure why there is not a topic on Due South, although maybe I do know after eating there. Went after Nats game last night. Nice patio - great view. Otherwise, can't recommend at least based on what we ordered. Started with corn bread, which is 4 pieces of fried cornbread with an oddly flavored (and unappealing color) molasses Rosemary butter. Bread tasted greasy but cornbread expectations should never be that high, should they? And we did eat all of it. I had the roasted corn and black eyed pea salad. The corn was barely roasted and the jalapeño dressing had zero flavor. I was told it was not meant to be spicy just with a jalapeño flavor but my salad tasted like it was dressed with water. I asked for extra dressing but it never came. My friend did like her burrata salad but for a main dish salad, the greens were a bit limited. Service was ok and while we had only basic cocktails they do have a decent beer selection and drink menu. My friend likes the Sunday brunch and said it is always busy for that. And again, the patio is a really nice place to sit. 

On 7/7/2016 at 7:45 AM, lizzie said:

Not sure why there is not a topic on Due South, although maybe I do know after eating there. Went after Nats game last night. Nice patio - great view. Otherwise, can't recommend at least based on what we ordered. 

For me, the bigger story is that Rusty Holman is the chef, which means he's no longer at the overachieving Bayou in West End. However, Due South is owned by Georgetown Events, who owns Bayou, Jetties, etc.

This popped up right after I was at Due South Dockside for a bit between Nats games yesterday, so it prompts me to write something. I love the view from this spot. That element makes it an absolute gem, but it's most visible from the Riverwalk so many people don't seem to know it exists. Coming from Due South it's not even that easy to find. I had a friend meeting me get lost one time. It is literally dockside. You walk up to a counter to order. No cash.

In the past, this probably would be a separate topic, but I don't know it's necessary now (?). It is close but geographically separate from the restaurant.* The Dockside menu appears to be a subset of the main Due South menu, with some additions (or the online Due South menu is out-of-date). The only food I've had here was not very good, but it was a long time ago and I don't even recall what it was. The menu they have looks more promising now, but I find it most pleasant as a place to sip a beer and watch the boats and the river on a sunny afternoon. It regularly has signage indicating it's going to be closed for special events, so people who know, know;).

*An employee once explained to me how this spot came into being, and it had something to do with whatever contract they signed when they agreed to open the restaurant years ago. They were entitled to a spot down by the water, like a certain square footage of space they could utilize for whatever they wanted, so they built a dockside bar.