Chicken Cutlets

DaveO

10 minutes ago, Genevieve said:

I look forward to your reports! Never would've considered Cheesecake Factory. Do they deliver? (We would not make them a frequent stop - also haven't eaten there since the year they opened, once - but for chicken parm sandwiches we might do it occasionally.)

Don't know I'll have to ask about delivery .  All around I liked the Cheesecake Factory version and was specifically surprised by the sauce which included surprising and pleasant hits of spices. 

On a side note I've been doing a lot of cutlets over the past few months, often coated with bread crumbs (not panko) and heavy Italian spices (sometimes fresh sometimes not).  I find chicken to be the trickiest for me, usually using breast which is thicker (than turkey or veal)  I think I'm closing in on perfect timing wherein the chicken is cooked through but it completely retains its moisture.  When I hit that...the cutlets are amazing winners.  I haven't been precisely measuring or timing everything...but getting it right results in a dish that is incredibly better.  So I'm going to get more precise and start measuring and timing to try and get this to a tee. 

Once I get the thickness/timing thing down, I'm simply going to try chicken parm at home with preparing a cutlet that way...while having prepared the sauce separately.  In the last moments I'll add cheese for parm...and simply pour on top without baking.    I'm hoping to get a chicken parm with a chicken cutlet that is at max moist.  ....We'll see ;)

If you want to try something different with chicken cutlets, look to Marcella Hazan's recipe here. It's straightforward and delicious. If you don't want to fuss with filleting the breasts yourself, a butcher could do it for you. The only trick to this recipe is that the meat must be uniformly thin; if it isn't, one part will be overcooked and another will be undercooked.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, porcupine said:

If you want to try something different with chicken cutlets, look to Marcella Hazan's recipe here. It's straightforward and delicious. If you don't want to fuss with filleting the breasts yourself, a butcher could do it for you. The only trick to this recipe is that the meat must be uniformly thin; if it isn't, one part will be overcooked and another will be undercooked.

For whatever it's worth, Balducci's in McLean's "boneless, skinless chicken breasts" are cutlets, and they seem to be uniformly thin - I could find out the exact brand if anyone is interested, but each piece is only a portion of a breast - so it appears the cutting is done for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, porcupine said:

Ha.  That is picatta w/o dredging w/ flour or bread crumbs.  I'm either ignorant or fairly well schooled and those classic Italian dishes are the only ones where I'm very well practiced if not schooled.  Tx for the reference.  I never purchased that book, but have scanned recipes from it.

Recently on chicken I've been going w/store bought breasts (tres inexpensive) and they come  thick.  I've been cooking as is w/o further filleting.  Actually I've been surprised that w/ample breadcrumb coating and that thickness I hit some chicken cutlets wherein they retained ample internal moisture and the entire cutlet was scrumptious.  Now I'm actually trying to get precise to hit that far more often. I actually have a ruler to measure thickness. (Never ever ever did that). Then I'm timing and recording all this.  I've never done any of that.

I'll always treat veal special and turkey can be store purchased far thinner than chicken.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Recently on chicken I've been going w/store bought breasts (tres inexpensive) and they come  thick.  I've been cooking as is w/o further filleting.  

I haven't read the above links so maybe this has been mentioned, but when I make breaded chicken fillets at home, I just use regular breasts and cut them into smaller chunks and then pound them thin with a mallet.  Put a layer of wax paper above the below the chicken and then pound them as thin as you desire.  Then dip in egg and then in a parmesan/italian bread crumb mixture.  Saute in olive oil and garlic slices (remove and replace when they turn brown).  So easy and so good.

• Like 2

We always have a package of Giant Foods Nature's Promise individually wrapped boneless/skinless chicken breasts in our freezer.  They are quick to defrost and easy to cook and use in countless ways for a quick and easy midweek meal.  If you defrost thoroughly and cook properly they can be rather succulent.  Pan fry one of these suckers up in olive oil after applying some Arizona Dreaming spice from Penzeys on both sides to your taste preference and place in your favorite roll/baguette/bread for pretty darn fulfilling sandwich.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dcs said:

We always have a package of Giant Foods Nature's Promise individually wrapped boneless/skinless chicken breasts in our freezer.  They are quick to defrost and easy to cook and use in countless ways for a quick and easy midweek meal.  If you defrost thoroughly and cook properly they can be rather succulent.  Pan fry one of these suckers up in olive oil after applying some Arizona Dreaming spice from Penzeys on both sides to your taste preference and place in your favorite roll/baguette/bread for pretty darn fulfilling sandwich.

My go to are thin chicken or turkey breasts.  Mostly cook them as breaded cutlets with Italian flavored bread crumbs (not panko).  Usually add a lot of additional Italian flavorings including fresh herbs when I have them added at the end.   Very easy to do.  I can't overemphasize how the cleanup committee has always favored this meal.  ;)   Very tasty.  Add some vegetables or a salad as a side. Prepare potatoes beforehand.    Very easy very tasty very reliable.

• Like 1

Since I got my Instant Pot, i’m cooking lots of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (chicken-veg soup or chicken adobo), but I have an old KA microwave that came w/ a browning pan? & I love to cook chicken breasts w/ Old Bay- great cut up on top of salad or to make chicken salad w/ lots of pickles.

On 11/13/2017 at 1:35 PM, dcs said:

When I have my mojo on, am thinking ahead and planning I'll purchase a lot of chicken breasts on sale.  I'll fillet the majority of them, wrap and freeze.  The minority will remain breast width for non cutlet dishes.  Then I'm stocked for a very long time.  Both the cutlets and breasts defrost quickly.  It makes for a high volume of future low cost relatively fast and easy meals.

Fortunately I have my mojo on about once a quarter. ;)

Knock me over with a feather.   Two weeks ago in the digital version and today in the paper version Washington Post had a variation on chicken cutlets using mustard in lieu of flour and eggs.   Link

Never tried it,  thought of it, or saw it in a recipe.  Mayo or flavored mayo is another alternative.  Hmm.   Plenty of frozen cutlets in the freezer.  I'll get to this shortly.