Tröeg's Independent Brewing, Brewery with Tours, Tasting Room, and Snack Bar on Hersheypark Drive in Hershey

While not located in Philly, or really even near Philly, Troegs is a good ending point to a day at Hershey Park, located a mere 5 minutes from the park on the same street.  They have great beer (and if you are lucky they will have an interesting beer from the scratch series on tap), and really really really good food.  The tasting room/dining area is impressive and big.  The bar is huge.  They fill growlers and crowlers of anything on tap to take home.  towards the left side of the bar is the ordering for the kitchen.  You place your order, they give you a pager, you find a table, get drinks and wait for the food.  I had the lamb falafel, served on naan, which was really interesting, served with a harissa chutney and tahina.  It was one large "falafel", which was a mixture of lamb, and perhaps chickpeas and a side of thick hand cut fresh fries.  It all worked well together.  My wife got the seafood roll, which was chock full of shrimp and crawfish in a light mayo sauce--think lobster roll, also served with a side of fries.  The highlight of the night though was the grilled cheese, which was made with 4 types of cheese, sandwiched between two huge/thick slices of brioche, served in a bowl with tomato soup on the bottom.  Cheese oozed out the edges with a caramelized crispy  cheese on the cut side of the sandwich.  Top the food off with a nice beer, and it is a great cap to a really fun day at the park.

• Like 2

We thought Troeg's is pretty good and likely is a great choice for Hershey.  However, since Millworks (which has a similar ambiance but superior food) in Harrisburg is between our house and Hershey, we don't foresee a lot of future revisits.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, astrid said:

We thought Troeg's is pretty good and likely is a great choice for Hershey.  However, since Millworks (which has a similar ambiance but superior food) in Harrisburg is between our house and Hershey, we don't foresee a lot of future revisits.

There are several craft breweries as well as craft distillers that have popped up all over Central PA. I am in agreement that as far as the food program goes, Millworks, by leagues, surpasses Troegs. Millworks takes  full advantage of seasonal offerings to craft their extensive menu. The service is well versed in all of the brews, and enthusiastically pairs them with their menu. The best time to go in my opinion, is an event tapped 3rd in the Burg. An event that offers attendants to meet artists, as well as engage in the best Harrisburg has to offer in Arts& Culture. Who knew so much was located right here in Central PA? 

Keystone Proud,

Kat

My manfriend and I like Troegs beer, so tacked on a tour/lunch to the end of a lancaster/ nevermind we don't really feel like Hershey Park trip with friends. The tour is a great value. For $10, we got a welcome beer, a 45 minute tour through the facilities from grain mill to packaging- 2 substantial beer samples, and a pint glass. We lucked out and there was space when we walked in- but it couldn't hurt to call ahead. The guide was knowleadgable about the process at Troegs and also in general, as he home brews. It was very interesting to learn about their smaller batch beers, which can substantially change year to year based on barrels, fruit, etc.

Lunch afterwards was necessary, and very tasty. We got a flight of 3 other beers to try, and shared duck confit with polenta and roasted tomatoes and a brisket sandwich with slaw and fries. This was much much better food than expected! The duck especially, was well prepared with moist meat and nice sides. We fought over the fries that came with the sandwich. The brisket was also very good, but the duck was great.

If I was passing through or finishing a day at the park, I would definitely stop in again- even without drinking.

(after reading the above thread, we are going to check out Millworks!)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ALB said:

If I was passing through or finishing a day at the park, I would definitely stop in again- even without drinking.

(after reading the above thread, we are going to check out Millworks!)

Troeg's is most certainly a area favorite. There are several other breweries that have followed their model for food and beverage. There is Evergrain in Camp Hill, and Zeroday Brewing which is near Millworks.  If you happen to be passing through again, please give me a shout out. I am happy to give you a layout of places to visit while in Harrisburg, The are are so may delicious nooks and crannies in the 'Burg. Happy to serve as your "virtual" guide. 

8 hours ago, curiouskitkatt said:

Troeg's is most certainly a area favorite. There are several other breweries that have followed their model for food and beverage. There is Evergrain in Camp Hill, and Zeroday Brewing which is near Millworks.  If you happen to be passing through again, please give me a shout out. I am happy to give you a layout of places to visit while in Harrisburg, The are are so may delicious nooks and crannies in the 'Burg. Happy to serve as your "virtual" guide. 

I appreciate any and all suggestions! Our relationship is long distance and he is in Selinsgrove, so while we don't stop on each trip north and south, I pass through a lot!

• Like 1