Arepas Pues - Colombian, Venezuelan, and Cuban in Downtown Silver Spring

Arepas Pues joined the Downtown Silver Spring dining scene in April, replacing a Quiznos Sub on Fenton Street (next to Sushi Jin). After seeing some online reviews that seemed to show inconsistencies in both food and service, we decided to give them some time to iron out the kinks before we visited for the first time. Today, we gave in and decided to stop in for lunch.

We stopped in during the middle of a quite busy lunch service. In addition to several groups and couples dining in, there was quite a bit of takeout orders being picked up. A good sign.

IMG_0359.JPG

Tajadas: Fried sweet plantains with salty cheese

IMG_0360.JPG

Empanada de Carne

IMG_0362.JPG

La de Pernil Arepa (foreground): Roasted pork shoulder, tomato slice, spicy sauce (the spicy sauce!!!)
La Safrina Arepa (background): Chicken, mayonnaise, avocado, cheddar cheese - served cold, it was like a delicious chicken salad

IMG_0361.JPG

Sancocho de Cola: Oxtail soup slow-cooked with potatoes, cassava, green plantains, served with rice & avocados. My wife LOVED this - it reminded her of her mission trips to the Dominican Republic while in pre-med!

We really enjoyed our lunch, and will definitely frequent them in the future.

Arepas Pues
8555 Fenton St (next to Sushi Jin)
Silver Spring, MD 20910
(240) 670-8020 | Facebook

• Like 4

I think we went to different places. Upon setting sights on the word AREPAS images of the glorious corn cakes of La Caraquena sprung into my head. Alas, I saw the cook heating up our family's meal from pre made arepas from a plastic sleeve. To be honest, I can't even remember what else we ordered it was that forgetable. We've never been back since. Raul has nothing to worry about, I'd rather drive the 45 minutes to Falls Church from Silver Spring then try Arepas Pues again.