One Burger at Community (Formerly Community Restaurant and Lounge), Hangout-Type Lounge in Woodmont Triangle. Downtown Bethesda - Closed

Not sure if an actual thread is started yet (if so please merge), but per this link:

"Small Bites: Community Diner Targeting Late Summer Opening in Bethesda" by Andrew Metcalf on bethesdamagazine.com

it was to have opened by 'late summer 2016' but I can tell you it is still not open and it is officially fall.

That being said, I am interested in seeing it open soon as I would like to check it out. From the construction looks, I still think it is at least 2 to 3 months away though.

FWIW...

The place's full name is Winthorpe & Valentine's Community (a kind of random Trading Places reference).

Also, Bucher has removed the original "diner" description from the concept. From The City Paper's Laura Hayes,

Beyond the Trading Places theme, Bucher wants to stray from the initial idea of an urban diner. “Through design, lighting, and music, we’re trying to get away from the diner image and go toward being a neighborhood hang spot,” he says. “It’ll be more clubby than a diner, but with food that’s comfortable, accessible, and reasonable. We’re not a Vegas nightclub, we’re not Tastee Diner, and it’s not Ted’s Bulletin.” He likened it to Stephen Starr’s Continental in Philadelphia.

I noticed, after my being away on vacation, that the Community sign is up - 'Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Cocktails.'

I hope that, with such a call out to cocktails, that the Community folks really bring their A game and have an awesome cocktails program. Bethesda's cocktail culture, IMHO, is currently pretty weak. Given that the current cocktails bar for Bethesda is generally set so low, it'll be easy to be better than all the other places in Bethesda. But I'd really like to see more. :)

43 minutes ago, Pool Boy said:

I hope that, with such a call out to cocktails, that the Community folks really bring their A game and have an awesome cocktails program. Bethesda's cocktail culture, IMHO, is currently pretty weak. Given that the current cocktails bar for Bethesda is generally set so low, it'll be easy to be better than all the other places in Bethesda. But I'd really like to see more. :)

I wouldn't expect first-rate cocktails at a place called Community Diner that serves breakfast.

It's no longer Community Diner - it's "Community Restaurant and Lounge". While they are still doing breakfast (all day), they have changed the focus away from diner.

Quote from a story in the City Paper from about 6 months ago:

Bucher wants to stray from the initial idea of an urban diner. “Through design, lighting, and music, we’re trying to get away from the diner image and go toward being a neighborhood hang spot,” he says. “It’ll be more clubby than a diner, but with food that’s comfortable, accessible, and reasonable. We’re not a Vegas nightclub, we’re not Tastee Diner, and it’s not Ted’s Bulletin.” He likened it to Stephen Starr’s Continental in Philadelphia.

ETA: I just saw that Kev29 made the same post earlier. Oops.

On 11/4/2016 at 10:00 PM, mbucher said:

Cocktails by David Strauss .. ..  ...oh and wine program by previous somm at French Laundry ...  Bethesda's getting cool again ;)

I live in Bethesda. I'm not cool.

Just tell me what the food's gonna be like. :)

I ate here a week or so ago.  The food is mostly standard diner fare with a few items that are more creative i.e. lobster pop tarts.  I was excited about a chicken sandwich on a donut roll, but it really was a slightly sweet bun that fell apart quickly with over-cooked chicken.  The burger here however, is very, very good- as Daniel K. surmises.

The "Trading Places" theme is very subtle.  The Winthorpe and Valentine names appear on the plates and on the website- I don't remember if they are on the menu. There is a large mural on the back wall that features Dan Ackroyd and Eddie Murphy and various film quotes.

In general, I like the concept and the decor, and will try it again. More details are in my blog post: http://beenthereeatenthat.net/2016/12/community/

• Like 1

Nice decor and vibe, and friendly waitstaff. I didn't eat much when I was here a few nights ago, but the bar food was not bad - I had tater tot nachos, which were perfectly good for a late night snack. The wine selection is excellent for a laid-back "hangout"-type establishment though the beer menu was somewhat thin. Cocktails were definitely above par for Bethesda. I had a martini which I believe was made with Hendrick's and an Old Fashioned, which they make with bonded Old Grand-dad. I'll certainly make a return trip to try the food. Overall a fine addition to the area and definitely somewhere I could relax for food and a few drinks with friends.

• Like 1

I'd heard not so great things from former co-workers that tried this place. So not surprising the concept was shut down. Also, not surprising on the pivot to something known and familiar like burgers. Honestly, if they can do burgers really, really, REALLY well and maybe do interesting burgers as specials different meats, etc), they might be able to stand out against all of the competition they'll have. That said, with all the development of condos and apartments in that town, there probably is room for yet another burger place.