Clemson University (1889), Clemson, SC

DonRocks

I just started two new forums: Colleges and High Schools, which are only visible to members (just for a little extra member-privacy). 

I'm hopeful that this will bring our membership closer together through common life experiences.

I went to Clemson, because it was the only school I got into. <_<

But I liked it so much that I ended up staying for 5 1/2 years, for both undergraduate (Accounting) and graduate school (Computer Science).

Any other Clemson Tigers here?

22 hours ago, DaveO said:

I’m a big fan of Barkley, formerly as a player, currently as a very interesting commentator. 

Just found this article from 1988

That means he was 4 years into the NBA and at the time was in the top 4 in the league in points, rebounds, shooting pct and ejections.  At 4 years into the league he was still unveiling his fearsome never matched Coast to Coast rumbles to the basket where all defenders would part like The Red Sea as recounted during Passover.

Last week he gave a thoughtful interview on politics and in between one never knows what he and Shaq will jabber about.

Barkley, 30+ years of entertainment.

Having gone to Clemson for two degrees, 1979-1984, I got to see (sometimes in person, sometimes on TV) both Charles Barkley (SEC Player of the Year) and Bo Jackson (Heisman Trophy) at Auburn during that time - not to mention both Dominique Wilkins (SEC Player of the Year) and Herschel Walker (Heisman Trophy) at Georgia, George Rogers (Heisman Trophy) at South CarolinaBruce Smith (Outland Trophy) at Virginia Tech, Mike Rozier (Heisman Trophy), Dave Rimington and Dean Steinkuhler (both Outland Trophy) at Nebraska in the 1981-1982 National Championship, Ralph Sampson (3-Time ACC Player of the Year, 3-Time Consensus 1st-Team All-American) at Virginia - I watched Clemson beat them in person as a freshman!, Michael Jordan and Sam Perkins from North Carolina (Consensus 1st-team All-Americans), Albert King (1st-Team All-ACC) and Len Bias (Consensus 1st-Team All-American) from Maryland (and, the most unlikely of sports heroes, Doug Flutie (Heisman Trophy) of Boston College, who shoved a dagger in Clemson in 1983 and 1984, and also Mike Ruth (Outland Trophy - in 3 years, Clemson lost or tied only 4 games - 2 of those were to Georgia, and the other 2 were to Boston College),. Barkley was nicknamed "The Round Mound of Rebound" (and as a result, William "The Refrigerator" Perry from Clemson was jokingly called "The Plump Lump of Dump"). I even got to see Jimmy Key (1st Team All-ACC) and Adubarie Otorubio (All-Century Soccer Team) from Clemson, and got to watch Mikael Pernfors from Georgia (2-time NCAA champion) beat Lawson Duncan (ACC #1 Singles Champion, who hadn't lost a set the entire tournament) in the NCAA Men's tennis singles finals (trivia: Duncan beat Pernfors in the regular season, and I think it might have been 6-0, 6-0) - it was an incredible time and place to be a college sports fan, and everyone knew that Barkley was going to be a superstar in the NBA (interestingly, Wilkins, not quite as much).