Dining in Annapolis

Annapolis is seeing a few big-city style trendies cropping up along West Street. It started with the Rams Head and continues with the three sisters: Metropolitan, Tsunami, Lemongrass, and now expecting the first tapas place, Kyma at 69 West St., which is being brought to this small city on the Chesapeake Bay by the same folks who graced Georgetown with Mie n Yu. Their website is calling it "Contemporary Greek and Spanish cuisine with flavors from the Chesapeake." And, if that isn't trendy enough, it's being designed by none other than Adamstein & Demetriou (who also had a hand in designing IndeBleu, Oyamel, Zaytinya and Zola). The chef will be Jose Picazo, formerly of Jaleo in Crystal City. I'm half expecting mini crab burgers.

Last summer I posted on eG about a meal that was an example of this trend away from staid tradition:

Aqua Terra, near the top of the hill on Main St - not the typical "traditional Annapolis" feel on the inside and not the typical "crabcake and burger" menu either.

I had a pulled bbq duck taco appetizer - two big fried wonton like shells with a healthy portion of shreeded duck in a smoky, hoisin based sauce with pickled carrots and radishes - and a crab salad - a fairly basic green salad in a good creamy dijon dressing and a heaping pile of jumbo lump crabmeat dressed in the same dressing. Aside from a few wedges of cottonny spring tomatoes this was a really nice salad. But the duck was the highlight.

Worth a stop if you're walking up and down Main St. some day and don't want a corned beef sandwich and vanilla malt and Chick and Ruth's across the street. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Edited by bilrus

The Fractured Prune donuts were dense and delightful though.
The Fractured Prune has recently opened up shop in the restored Market House in downtown Annapolis. I haven't been there, but I have been told by one very well-educated and wordly teenager that she was totally being, like, serious that the maple glaze and bacon bits donut is, like, one of the best things she's ever eaten. :) [she also told me that they're giving out a free donut to each new customer.]

As an Annapolis resident, I have to say I am thrilled to see some of these great new establishments coming into town.

Crackers, the Fractured Prune is TO DIE FOR--you MUST go!! OMG everything is great but my favorite is the morning buzz--chocolate glaze with oreo crumbles and espresso grinds....sooooo good!

I've also recently been to Kyma, mentioned above. Beautiful decor but sailors will notice a major oops! in one of their wall art installations--everyone I know who sails and has been there has mentioned it to me. Food was great, simple, yummy, and the service wonderful. No complaints---didn't have my socks knocked off, but it was very good. No mini crab-cakes on the menu (that I recall anyway).

wow - check out the new section on B&A places. well, now we need to populate it... places I think deserve a thread from Annapolis (I know, I know - I should just write a little review for each place to start out the thread, maybe with a little time).

the three places I miss most from Annapolis:

Giolitti Deli (link) - I miss not having a place like this within lunch striking distance anymore

O'Leary's (link) - though I've heard it's not as good as before and is a lot pricier

49 West (link) - great independent coffee house with good simple food (they also scorn fryers), particularly nice for brunch or desserts and coffee.

other places:

Joss Sushi (link) - I'm not a sushi fan, but my sushi-loving friends swear by this place.

Lewnes Steakhouse - independent steakhouse in Eastport, but sadly I've never eaten here.

Chick and Ruth's (link) - just because

and no chinese restaurant in annapolis deserves acknowledgment.

Hi, Lydia- Native Annapolitan here- though not for a few years- Any advice I can give?

Scott

WaPo posted an Annapolis Irish Pub RoadTrip map in their Sunday Source. Sometimes I have trouble picturing where these places are located and have to rely on the kindness of fellow Rockweilers...

Probably headed to Annapolis with the gf and cousin from Greece via France to see the sites and eat some crab. With that in mind, what are some worthwhile establishments that we can sit back, eat some good crabcakes, and enjoy the scenery either in Annapolis or in the immediate vicinity of the town?

Much obliged!

Yesterday evening several of us were looking for a place nearby to get dinner after a party in Eastport. We ended up at Carrol's Creek Cafe at the Marina. I had been there once for brunch many years ago, and the place looked pretty much as I remembered. I recall our meal being fairly good and the view being a bonus. That was pretty much my experience this time around too, but our service was better for dinner since it wasn't a crazy mob scene.

I wasn't terribly hungry and ordered two appetizers: Sea Scallops rolled in shredded phyllo, fried crisp, and served on a bed of wilted spinach, lump crab and proscuitto ham ($14), which is described on the menu as a house specialty; and, Empanadas filled with beef tenderloin, wild mushrooms and gouda cheese, served with guacamole and a roasted red pepper sauce ($9). The empanadas were solid if unspectacular. I found the forest of shredded panko a bit much on the scallop dish. The scallops themselves (I believe there were two) were good when I finally got to them, but the preparation seemed like overkill to me. The spinach somehow didn't seem to belong, though I liked the little bits of crab I kept finding as I ate.

One of my dining companions also ordered the scallop appetizer but loved the preparation and had no complaints. She also got BBQ Shrimp wrapped in bacon and grilled, then glazed with our home made bbq sauce and served with a cucumber and onion salad (online menu says $10.50, but I think this was $11; also a house specialty). She enjoyed that as well (though maybe not as much) but said that there was too much sauce for her liking. She and the third person in our party split the Caesar Salad for Two Made Table Side the classic combination of hearts of romaine, fresh grated imported cheese, homemade croutons, tossed with our special dressing. ($15 online but I think actually $16). I got a small portion of it as well, and it gets points for authenticity--including anchovy and (pasteurized) egg in the dressing--but it wasn't knock your socks off great either. It seemed to me like it had too much oil and to them that it didn't have enough anchovy. It needed more seasoning. Still better than most restaurant Caesar Salads, however. I haven't had a tableside preparation of anything in longer than I can remember, so that alone was noteworthy.

Diner #3 was the only one to order an entree. He ordered rockfish, which I presume was Herb Encrusted Rockfish Fillet roasted and served over sun dried tomato pesto risotto, sautéed baby spinach, jumbo lump crab, and a beurre blanc (online menu says $29, but I'm pretty sure it was more). I didn't really pay much attention to this dish, but he said that it was good and cleaned his plate.

Overall, it was a fairly good meal with fine service and a nice view of the marina. It wasn't cheap, but eating along the water usually isn't B).

N.B.: Sometimes an unexpected dinner out is extra fun because of the spontaneity, but I was not really in the mood for spontaneity yesterday, and this may have colored my take on the meal.

Wow--the appearance of this thread in the dr.com upper right of the homepage "new posts" box is a sign that I should post something I'd probably have forgotten otherwise.

On our way back from the Delaware beaches yesterday, we decided to stop in Annapolis for lunch. Have been to Annapolis a bunch of times over the years but not that recently and I don't know the restaurant scene well at all. So, stopped at a Starbucks, powered up the laptop and pointed to dr.com to get the scoop. But, alas, it wasn't to be. First tried to find Annapolis in the "intrepid traveler" index and took awhile before I realized my dumb mistake--Annapolis is in the Baltimore thread, which comes under Wash DC Dining and not in the traveler index. But then needed to find a spot with quality food (as always :D ), more casual and with outdoor seating. Never did find this "Dining in Annapolis" thread even with google's help so, as ashamed as I am to admit it, I pointed to a few of those "other" dining sites posing as spots to get useful info.

Chowhound did it for me this time. But, in a surprising turn of events (at least for me, still learning the ins and outs of navigating dr.com) points for dr.com and especially to ktmoomau, who four years ago started exactly the thread we needed which has just grown there ever since. Score--reliable advice--love that! :)

Without that thread, never would have found the Big Cheese/Sammy's Deli just up Randall St off the main harbor. Great selection of sandwiches with some interesting variants, nice ownership willing to customize however requested and one of the biggest dill pickles I've ever gotten in any deli. Bill (or was it Bob?) who looked to be either the owner or at least a long time deli guy told me he'd "fish a whale" from the big glass container and, sure enough, he did. They were also happy to convert any sandwich to a salad type dish in a container for a gluten-free member of our group. My fairly pedestrian roast beef with brie, red onion, tomato and lettuce (the last three my additions to an otherwise standard Sammy's sammich) was very good. I paid the extra $2 for the (french..or was it italian? new york maybe?) baguette which, while maybe not worth an extra $2, made for a pretty nice sandwich relative to the mediocre food I vaguely recall always having in Annapolis in my pre dr.com days. Despite various other setbacks*, we were psyched.

That sandwich, perfect low 80s/low humidity weather and a spot to sit and eat right by the water all combined to make a great couple-of-hour stop. Thanks again ktmoomau!

* Other Setback: Caffe Pronto, the only quality food or beverage purveyor I remembered (or ever knew) in Annapolis closes at 2pm on Saturdays and we pulled up there at 3--what's that about? B)

Wow--the appearance of this thread in the dr.com upper right of the homepage "new posts" box is a sign that I should post something I'd probably have forgotten otherwise.

On our way back from the Delaware beaches yesterday, we decided to stop in Annapolis for lunch. Have been to Annapolis a bunch of times over the years but not that recently and I don't know the restaurant scene well at all. So, stopped at a Starbucks, powered up the laptop and pointed to dr.com to get the scoop. But, alas, it wasn't to be. First tried to find Annapolis in the "intrepid traveler" index and took awhile before I realized my dumb mistake--Annapolis is in the Baltimore thread, which comes under Wash DC Dining and not in the traveler index. But then needed to find a spot with quality food (as always :D ), more casual and with outdoor seating. Never did find this "Dining in Annapolis" thread even with google's help so, as ashamed as I am to admit it, I pointed to a few of those "other" dining sites posing as spots to get useful info.

Chowhound did it for me this time. But, in a surprising turn of events (at least for me, still learning the ins and outs of navigating dr.com) points for dr.com and especially to ktmoomau, who four years ago started exactly the thread we needed which has just grown there ever since. Score--reliable advice--love that! :)

Without that thread, never would have found the Big Cheese/Sammy's Deli just up Randall St off the main harbor. Great selection of sandwiches with some interesting variants, nice ownership willing to customize however requested and one of the biggest dill pickles I've ever gotten in any deli. Bill (or was it Bob?) who looked to be either the owner or at least a long time deli guy told me he'd "fish a whale" from the big glass container and, sure enough, he did. They were also happy to convert any sandwich to a salad type dish in a container for a gluten-free member of our group. My fairly pedestrian roast beef with brie, red onion, tomato and lettuce (the last three my additions to an otherwise standard Sammy's sammich) was very good. I paid the extra $2 for the (french..or was it italian? new york maybe?) baguette which, while maybe not worth an extra $2, made for a pretty nice sandwich relative to the mediocre food I vaguely recall always having in Annapolis in my pre dr.com days. Despite various other setbacks*, we were psyched.

That sandwich, perfect low 80s/low humidity weather and a spot to sit and eat right by the water all combined to make a great couple-of-hour stop. Thanks again ktmoomau!

* Other Setback: Caffe Pronto, the only quality food or beverage purveyor I remembered (or ever knew) in Annapolis closes at 2pm on Saturdays and we pulled up there at 3--what's that about? B)

I am so glad you found that thread! It continues to amaze me when it pops back up on the top of Chowhound as I started it years ago, and it seems to continue to be a resource for people. I used to live in Annapolis and work in the state house, during session we had long hours and ordered from pretty much every place within walking distance of the state house. I thought it would be useful to post, although of course things come and go so quickly. All I would see day in day out on Chowhound were people griping about Annapolis and I wanted to keep it positive, so that was my way of trying to spread some positive Annapolis vibes. My Mom still lives in the area, so I am back there quite a bit, but she cooks more again now, so less eating out when we go.

I should add onto it, but other people are doing a good job. My new favorites in Annapolis are Punk's which I love, love, love!, Taqueria Jugulita (sp?) over by the Hillsmere Shopping Plaza, next to the entrance of Quiet Waters, Eggsellence for breakfast. There is supposed to be a great natural market in Severna Park I want to check out. And I don't know if I put Regina's in West Annapolis on that thread, but it is great too. I don't eat much on the high end there anymore, I did go to O'Leary's recently and it was still very good.

Bob is the guy at Sammy's (Sammy is his Grandson) he used to be in the Markethouse before they screwed that place all up. I used to go there for lunch when I worked for the Historic Annapolis Foundation in college. He would spot me a sandwich if I didn't have cash because the ATM fees in the market house were normally about half a sandwich, and he was beloved by all the Johnny's. They actually had a good veggie sandwich there too. I signed the petition to keep those original vendors in the marketplace, luckily he and his Wife could afford to stay close by, the other vendors not so lucky. His wife is really nice too. They always gave so much back to the community. I think Annapolis is a hard area for restaurants to survive so I like giving credit to the Mom and Pop places that manage to make it work.

I am in Eastport most weekends. A few quick data points

Boatyard Bar and Grill-Exactly what a bar and grill should be. good food nothing special... Noisy and kid friendly

Olearys-Great food and Wine. They do try to do too much on one plate such that an entree can be overwhelming.. But I always clean my plate... Fish is top notch

Main Ingrediant-Just tried it for first time.. Away from the water, which means cheaper. Food was very nice and we'll be back.

Davis's pub-Cheap beer and salty folks.

I spent the weekend in Annapolis.

Middleton's Tavern: best oyster shooters I've ever had! Crab balls were okay, probably not worth 5 for $15.95. The crab dip was great for some drunk guys.

Dock Street Bar & Grill: Solid Old Bay Wings. Big, juicy, perfectly fried, just the right amount of seasoning. And $2.75 Natty Boh.

Pennsylvania Dutch Farmer's Market: Go there. Get a log to keep yourself from wanting to buy everything you see. (I recommend the Steak and Cheese Log.) It's delicious wrapped in a pretzel. Feel guilty if you curse around the wholesome young lads and lasses-in-bonnets. Pick up some produce and meat - the meat is ridiculously inexpensive compared to what I'm used to at Whole Foods, and the scallions and asparagus I got, which we tossed in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and grilled, were FANTASTIC. So delicious. I am so sad I don't have right now.

Now I need to reach the appropriate level of inebriation to crack open the pickled eggs (red beet and jalapeno (separate jars), I finished off my friends' regular ones last night).