I picked up the menu on Saturday after seeing the name and thinking this might be an unexpected treat in the 'hood. Unfortunately an izakaya it is not. The sushi is the real focus; the other offerings seem to be an afterthought. Nothing on the menu really jumped out at me. If the sushi quality is good and the price point is right it may a good place for a quick snack, but that's about it. I was hoping for yakitori or onigiri or something a little more interesting.

I actually stopped by tonight and had some take-out. The spicy tuna roll and spicy shrimp tempura roll wasn't too bad. Not as good as a good sushi restaurant but much much better than take-out sushi in a grocery store like Wegmans or what Whole Foods usually has. Also ordered the chicken teriyaki with bok choy and was pleasantly surprised although the portion was pretty small but probably equivalent to the $6 price. All and all, a good alternative for take-out or a quick bite at the counter.

Thought it was worth checking out to see if this place was decent for lunch. It was not.

Yakisoba had a weird flavor and was overcooked. Salmon teriyaki wasn't terrible, but wasn't standout. My friend's sushi still had ice crystals in it. It's scary that you'd have better luck from the pre-prepared sushi section. Though the rolls that other diners ordered did look very pretty.

Thought it was worth checking out to see if this place was decent for lunch. It was not.

Yakisoba had a weird flavor and was overcooked. Salmon teriyaki wasn't terrible, but wasn't standout. My friend's sushi still had ice crystals in it. It's scary that you'd have better luck from the pre-prepared sushi section. Though the rolls that other diners ordered did look very pretty.

Well, I wouldn't trust a place named Izakaya that didn't serve alcohol. Izakaya is a generic Japanese term that means a place that serves alcohol, and maybe some things to nibble on while you're drinking. In fact, the middle character in this name (zaka) is in fact sake, which means alcohol.

The "Izakaya" was a short-lived venture and appears to have morphed into a mini-branch of Raku. The million dollar question regarding quality: Bethesda Raku or Dupont Raku? The menu suggests the former. If true, and if they can put together a good bowl of udon, I'll be very excited for that option on cold, crappy days like today. However, the menu seems really ambitious for such a small workspace (which was my take on Izakaya as well) so I'm not holding my breath that it will be much of an improvement over the previous incarnation.

I think there's pretty much universal agreement that the Bethesda Raku is superior, top-to-bottom.

Well, that was my point. The question is which branch will the WF outpost emulate? I understand that the Rakus don't share anything but a name at this point (different management, divergent menus, quality is obviously higher at Bethesda). It was only my guess based on the menu that the Bethesda folks are involved. Granted, I haven't set foot in the Dupont Raku in over 3 years so that could be an invalid comparison.

Has anybody sampled the restaurants at the massive Whole Foods in the Fair Oaks part of Fairfax? I had lunch at the smokehouse stand recently, and my verdict of it was so-so. There's also an Asian place with sushi and some dim sum, and some kind of seafood restaurant too. The store is kinda strange, it's almost like Eatzi's with a few sit-down restaurants and some typical organic-crunchy groceries besides.

Has anybody sampled the restaurants at the massive Whole Foods in the Fair Oaks part of Fairfax? I had lunch at the smokehouse stand recently, and my verdict of it was so-so. There's also an Asian place with sushi and some dim sum, and some kind of seafood restaurant too. The store is kinda strange, it's almost like Eatzi's with a few sit-down restaurants and some typical organic-crunchy groceries besides.

There are some reports in the Whole Foods thread. Here are a few -- click, click, and click.

I've heard that the Whole Foods that recently opened in Foggy Bottom has a burger bar. Competing with the likes of Shake Shack, 5 Guys, BRGR, Flay, et. al. - I sure hope they cook 'em better in DC than they did on Bowery in New York where I had my first, and most likely my last, Whole Foods' burger sometime last week.

I continue to be amazed at how many "trends" are so yesterday to someone like me, who grew up in Lancaster County. I was eating organic food before it was cool. Chicken and waffles? That was about 1965. Heirloom tomatoes? I never ate anything but. Field to table? Come on, that's what Amish farming is, as is nose-to-tail eating. And now, burger bars? I grew up on these, all over Lancaster County. I can't wait until the food trendies figure out the fish sandwich bar, like at the farmer's markets out the New Holland Pike.

I've heard that the Whole Foods that recently opened in Foggy Bottom has a burger bar. Competing with the likes of Shake Shack, 5 Guys, BRGR, Flay, et. al. - I sure hope they cook 'em better in DC than they did on Bowery in New York where I had my first, and most likely my last, Whole Foods' burger sometime last week.

The WF in Rockville/North Bethesda has a burger bar as well. One look at the painfully thin patties has led me to stick to the salad bar. (Well, that and their god awful pizza) Now that you have brought the topic up, it looks like I'll have to take one for the team and try one.

The WF in Rockville/North Bethesda has a burger bar as well. One look at the painfully thin patties has led me to stick to the salad bar. (Well, that and their god awful pizza) Now that you have brought the topic up, it looks like I'll have to take one for the team and try one.

But you can't say I didn't warn you B) .

But you can't say I didn't warn you B).

You did. And it was craptacular. Not seasoned one bit, WAY too lean, and cooked to death.

The funny thing to me was the ability to immediately identify what they stole from Shake Shack (instead of an open bag, they wrap in paper with an open end) and Five Guys (put fries in a container, place container in paper bag and dump some more fries in the bag). I'm sure that there are other things that they stole from other of the burger chains, but those are the two that jumped out at me.

A couple weeks ago, when chicken breasts were on sale for their Friday one-day sales, they were offering huge grilled chicken breast sandwiches for only $5. I love when they do stuff like that around the entrance of a Whole Foods. Such a bargain, and it's always well worth the money. The chicken breast was way too big for the whole wheat bun, but I still added lettuce and tomato. It was perfectly grilled, as well.

As for their food bar, I try to shy away from it. I don't think I've ever had good food from there.

And the thing with that lean beef is it must be cooked rare-ish for it to retain any flavor at all. Seasoning helps too.

Were your fries soggy and terrible also?

Not terrible, but soggy in the way that Five Guys fries are without the benefit of being fried in peanut oil to add to the taste.

As for their food bar, I try to shy away from it. I don't think I've ever had good food from there.

Ditto. I've made the mistake of picking up some sides from the prepared food bar for an easy dinner and was sorely disappointed in everything.

Ditto. I've made the mistake of picking up some sides from the prepared food bar for an easy dinner and was sorely disappointed in everything.

My experience with the prepared food is actually pretty good. I don't mean pizza or something cooked to order that you're eating there, but the cold salads and sides that are in a deli kind of case or in an unattended refrigerated case.

They tend to be pretty expensive and I usually just make my own versions of what they are, so I haven't bought those prepared foods in a while. They were a lifesaver, though, during the many months our kitchen was being renovated in 2005 (wow? 7 years ago?). Maybe the quality has slipped since then, especially as they add more options.

I have definitely noticed that it varies by day and location. For example, I had really good mac n' cheese from the Tyson's location one time and then to go back another time and encounter a glob of separated oil and cheese on pasta on a tray.

The only location and item I've noticed consistency on is the pizza at the Clarendon location. At least little man is happy by the quality when I've had to buy in a pinch.

I have definitely noticed that it varies by day and location. For example, I had really good mac n' cheese from the Tyson's location one time and then to go back another time and encounter a glob of separated oil and cheese on pasta on a tray.

The Mac 'n Cheese is one of the few things worth eating at that Tyson's hot food bar. The Pork with green chili is good when it's there. As for the salad section, they had a pretty good antipasta. Once. It never appeared again after that one time, as far as I can tell.

Those paper-wrapped, pre-made sandwiches (on ciabatta-type bread) always look so appetizing sitting there in the case (right next to the prepared foods like the meat loaf, chicken, green beans, etc.), and more often than not, they're just eight dollars worth of meh.

Those paper-wrapped, pre-made sandwiches (on ciabatta-type bread) always look so appetizing sitting there in the case (right next to the prepared foods like the meat loaf, chicken, green beans, etc.), and more often than not, they're just eight dollars worth of meh.

The hot bar, much of the salad bar, and the soups are loaded with salt. John Mackey must have low blood pressure.

Yesterday I was in my local Whole Foods and noticed they're now doing individual pour-over coffees to order ($2.50). Since I don't like their coffees so much, I didn't try one...is this now available in DC as well?

Yesterday I was in my local Whole Foods and noticed they're now doing individual pour-over coffees to order ($2.50). Since I don't like their coffees so much, I didn't try one...is this now available in DC as well?

I have seen this at the locations in Fair Lakes, VA and Jacksonville, FL.

I finally checked out the made to order Kaz sushi at the Foggy Bottom location and was pleasantly surprised. Best grocery store sushi I've had, better than Deana and Deluca's and better than a lot of restaurant sushi too. Price is steep but they were generous with the fish portion. Interesting options in the make your own - spicy sprouts, sweet tofu, etc.

The hot bar, much of the salad bar, and the soups are loaded with salt. John Mackey must have low blood pressure.

I do, but other than during HS trips to Sarasota to share Early Bird specials with grandparents, I never could get excited about salad bars... To give WFM its props, there are plenty of raw ingredients that are simply prepared that you could season on your own.

I find that when in a pinch to find something decent and quick, my best bet is a small bowl of chili, not filled to the brim. I asked for permission and was granted right to top it with chopped red onion, feta and scallion or cilantro (forget). Cashier gave me a funny look, but with small piece of cornbread or roll and an orange, it works for me.

The only location and item I've noticed consistency on is the pizza at the Clarendon location. At least little man is happy by the quality when I've had to buy in a pinch.

Haven't been for a while, but when the Rockville location opened, unlike JPW, I thought their basic cheese pizza yummy. Floppy, but perfectly acid and gooey.

I finally checked out the made to order Kaz sushi at the Foggy Bottom location and was pleasantly surprised. Best grocery store sushi I've had, better than Deana and Deluca's and better than a lot of restaurant sushi too. Price is steep but they were generous with the fish portion. Interesting options in the make your own - spicy sprouts, sweet tofu, etc.

True of the Clarendon location too. I get their shrimp California roll all the time. (They stopped including the soy sauce in the box, so if you get it, make sure you take a packet when you take chopsticks.)

True of the Clarendon location too. I get their shrimp California roll all the time. (They stopped including the soy sauce in the box, so if you get it, make sure you take a packet when you take chopsticks.)

Really? Last time I got sushi at the Clarendon location it was AWFUL. I ended up throwing it out - not that there was anything like "the fish was rotten" but just that it didn't taste very good at all.

Of course, this was probably a couple of years ago. I've never had the remotest desire to try WF's sushi since.

Regarding coffee and sushi at Whole Foods:

Coffee - I didn't know about the pour overs (are pour overs becoming trite?) :) I've only seen the empty cups available at the cashiers which you buy, then take over to the little seating area and pump your own out of a thermal container. (They do this at lots of places - Modern Times, etc.) I always enjoyed Whole Foods coffees well enough, but the thermal containers never seem to be quite hot enough. If I'm at Whole Foods in the morning, and I haven't had my caffeine fix, I'll often go down this route - I'm interested in trying the enhanced version.

Sushi - They've now gone from Sushi-Ko (which was excellent), to Genji (which was flat-out awful), and now to Kaz (which should be excellent again - Kaz really "gets" how to make Sushi rice, even in bulk). Nothing could be worse than Genji - it was as bad as any sushi I've ever had anywhere, especially on their "brown rice" which took things from awful to almost inedible. I'm very excited at the prospect of decent sushi here again, and I'd also like to put in a plug for the sushi platters at Super H which (from my limited experience) are well-made and an exceptional value.

Really? Last time I got sushi at the Clarendon location it was AWFUL. I ended up throwing it out - not that there was anything like "the fish was rotten" but just that it didn't taste very good at all.

Of course, this was probably a couple of years ago. I've never had the remotest desire to try WF's sushi since.

I agree, the Clarendon Whole Foods sushi is awful - or at least it was a few months ago.

In my experience, the grocery store sushi pecking order is Foggy Bottom WF>Deana and Deluca>>Harris Teeter>>Other Whole Foods.

I agree, the Clarendon Whole Foods sushi is awful - or at least it was a few months ago.

In my experience, the grocery store sushi pecking order is Foggy Bottom WF>Deana and Deluca>>Harris Teeter>>Other Whole Foods.

I only get the shrimp California rolls, and they've been good (they went to less good a while back, and back to good again, which must be the Sushi-Ko/Genji/Kaz evolution Don mentioned). But my friend who got regular fish sushi a couple months ago was happy with it.

I eat the Old Town pizza by the slice 2-3 times / month. Like Anna above, I actually thoroughly enjoy their pizza. Always fresh mushrooms, good quality cheese, herbs, chewy flavorful crust. The sauce is nice too. Only complaint is that it is always a tit greasy. But it is a large slice.

The prepared salads and sides are under seasoned. They probably do it that way for a reason, since a lot of them are health food oriented anyways.

We have noticed a revival of their store baked cookie seciton lately. They have some fantastic cookies, like snickerdoodle sandwiches with caramel, or chocolate cookies w/ marshmellow. Even nice vegan cookie selection.

I have a serious love/hate relationship with the Whole Foods in Fairfax. Their seafood "restaurant" consistently churns out great quality dishes that are a good value, but the service is always painfully slow and they only have REALLY TALL chairs, making eating there with a one year old impossible. I also love their wine bar upstairs, a good, comfortable place to waste some time and drink some wine. At the same time, I find that about half of the wine in the wine coolers/machines is different than the descriptions/prices posted and that much of the wine has been there for a LONG time. Overall, they have this great concept with the wine bar, but they clearly do not take care of it appropriately. And, in my mind, the food at Whole Foods is always top notch. Yes, it can be pricey, but they have a wide variety of items and the people there are always willing to help (much more so than Wegman's). However, if you want to do any "regular" shopping at Whole Foods (paper towels, deodorant, etc.), be prepared to pay out your ass and maybe not smell that great (recycled roots and berries and leaves don't make the best deodorant). And, yes, I am kind of kidding about that last one.

However, I finally realized this weekend why we only visit this Whole Foods maybe once every three or four months as opposed to several times a month. It's the pretentious assholes that frequent the store (I guess I may be considered one of them, I don't know).

We wanted to eat at the "sports bar" there on Saturday. I was in line to order at the counter behind a mom (I'd say early 40's). During the course of her ordering (a good 8-10 minutes for 3 people), this is what happened.

• She asked to see the packaging for the buns that they use for their burgers. She, or her family, didn't have any allergies, she just wanted to make sure that the buns they used were up to snuff.
  • She asked to have a taste of EVERY wine that they have before ordering a glass.
  • She asked what kind of sour cream they use on their nachos, not if it was full fat or fat free or whatever, but she wanted to know the brand.
  • At the end of her ordering lunch, she told the staff, "You did such a great job taking care of us, when I am done eating lunch, I am going to go home and blog about my experience here."

When she finally was done ordering, the guy taking the orders apologized for the wait and actually gave us our fries for free (that was $4 worth of "upgrades" for our 2 dishes). I almost wish that he hadn't been so nice so I could definitively shut the door on going there again. I guess I will just have to go back and try to avoid these freakin people that somehow I encounter on almost a weekly basis these days.

• Like 3

However, I finally realized this weekend why we only visit this Whole Foods maybe once every three or four months as opposed to several times a month. It's the pretentious assholes that frequent the store (I guess I may be considered one of them, I don't know).

Humor, wit, and wisdom, all in one little parenthetical phrase. This was a great passage!

Sushi - They've now gone from Sushi-Ko (which was excellent), to Genji (which was flat-out awful), and now to Kaz (which should be excellent again - Kaz really "gets" how to make Sushi rice, even in bulk). Nothing could be worse than Genji - it was as bad as any sushi I've ever had anywhere, especially on their "brown rice" which took things from awful to almost inedible. I'm very excited at the prospect of decent sushi here again, and I'd also like to put in a plug for the sushi platters at Super H which (from my limited experience) are well-made and an exceptional value.

I read the above posts with great interest, until i realized they were from 5/2012. Is their sushi service now back to Genji? I think at least at Clarendon it might be.

I had to promise Lizzy some sushi from the commissary, so Tom & I could hit up Kogiya for meat on Thursday. Anyone who joins us will be glad that she's not over in the corner eating steamed egg & rice (we've already done that at Honey Pig). I think their sushi is pretty good, although Tom isn't happy that they usually have brown rice in the CA rolls. A couple of years ago, they had a teriyaki bowl type of lunch counter, but I never saw anyone eating there.

I'm a kamikaze type of shopper, in & out, & haven't ever dined in a grocery store. (& I also don't get the point of olive bars in the deli, but that's another story). If I had to listen to that women, it would be hard to stop my eyes from rolling involuntarily...

I have a serious love/hate relationship with the Whole Foods in Fairfax. <SNIP>

We wanted to eat at the "sports bar" there on Saturday. I was in line to order at the counter behind a mom (I'd say early 40's). During the course of her ordering (a good 8-10 minutes for 3 people), this is what happened.

• She asked to see the packaging for the buns that they use for their burgers. She, or her family, didn't have any allergies, she just wanted to make sure that the buns they used were up to snuff.
  • She asked to have a taste of EVERY wine that they have before ordering a glass.
  • She asked what kind of sour cream they use on their nachos, not if it was full fat or fat free or whatever, but she wanted to know the brand.
  • At the end of her ordering lunch, she told the staff, "You did such a great job taking care of us, when I am done eating lunch, I am going to go home and blog about my experience here."

When she finally was done ordering, the guy taking the orders apologized for the wait and actually gave us our fries for free (that was $4 worth of "upgrades" for our 2 dishes). I almost wish that he hadn't been so nice so I could definitively shut the door on going there again. I guess I will just have to go back and try to avoid these freakin people that somehow I encounter on almost a weekly basis these days.

I have to agree with you about the people who go there, and assure you it's not just the Fairfax store. The compact WF in Falls Church attracts a special kind of Entitled Asshole that announces their presence via their parking lot behavior.

Sometimes normal people go there, such as a couple of months ago when I pulled into a space and went to pull into the space ahead of me so I could just exit without backing up. Someone else was coming into that space from the other aisle, so I backed up into the first space so they could take it. When I got out of the car, the couple thanked me, and the wife said "I had to tell him, look, she's backing up!" I replied that I try to promote harmony whenever possible.

• Like 2

I have to agree with you about the people who go there, and assure you it's not just the Fairfax store. The compact WF in Falls Church attracts a special kind of Entitled Asshole that announces their presence via their parking lot behavior.

Sometimes normal people go there, such as a couple of months ago when I pulled into a space and went to pull into the space ahead of me so I could just exit without backing up. Someone else was coming into that space from the other aisle, so I backed up into the first space so they could take it. When I got out of the car, the couple thanked me, and the wife said "I had to tell him, look, she's backing up!" I replied that I try to promote harmony whenever possible.

Same people in Tenleytown and Friendship Heights. WF attracts that type of customer.

Honestly, lately I have not been liking WF all that much. Lines are long. Customer service is eh. The product varies in quality. As they have expanded it has become far too pedestrian for my tastes. The products are a small step over a Safeway or Giant these days, when previously shopping at WF was something a bit more special.

• Like 1

I'm curious -- how long have people been shopping at WF or any of its predecessors? I started out at the Bread & Circus store in Cambridge MA, 1982. My dad even worked at the WF in Providence in the 1990s. He was a real character. They let him order the licorice whips. :)

The seafood bar used to have high chairs. I took my 2 year old all the time and he would demolish the kids fish and chips. Fairly annoyed that they got rid of them.

The bbq place in Fairfax is often adequate and can be a good value.

I have a serious love/hate relationship with the Whole Foods in Fairfax. Their seafood "restaurant" consistently churns out great quality dishes that are a good value, but the service is always painfully slow and they only have REALLY TALL chairs, making eating there with a one year old impossible. s.

The Whole Foods in Clarendon has opened a takeout window in front of the building called "The Coop."  It sells fried chicken (both maple and spicy), rotisserie chicken, various chicken sandwiches, and Korean fried chicken wings.

I tried a piece of maple fried chicken and spicy fried chicken.  The maple fried chicken had a slightly sweet flavor, and the spicy fried chicken was not noticeably spicy.  The fried chicken is pre-made.  The coating was not that crunchy, but overall the fried chicken was fine.  I'd buy it again ,which is an improvement for me over the hot bar inside the store.  I've found the food on their hot bar to be bland and disappointing.

Is it me or are "shoppers" wandering around the store chowing down on unpaid food taken from the hot & cold prepared food bars?  I now see this routinely at WF in Clarendon & Falls Church and at Balduccis. I am not a fan of buffet fodder but it strikes me as chutzpath when others blissfully eat for free.  As consumers, all of us pay more for groceries for this folly.

I am reminded me of the drama last week where a grocery store manager politely but firmly confronted a woman - her mouth stuffed with food from the buffet - and asked that in future she should pay for food before consumption.  Might you guess her response? Indignant and yelling abuse, natch.

She then claimed she had planned to pay for the food crammed in her cheeks at checkout.  How did she propose doing just that?

Why, that loveable lug lectured, she would instruct the store cashier to "add some more to my bill."  Seriously, you can't make this up!

• Like 2

Is it me or are "shoppers" wandering around the store chowing down on unpaid food taken from the hot & cold prepared food bars?  I now see this routinely at WF in Clarendon & Falls Church and at Balduccis. I am not a fan of buffet fodder but it strikes me as chutzpath when others blissfully eat for free.  As consumers, all of us pay more for groceries for this folly.

I am reminded me of the drama last week where a grocery store manager politely but firmly confronted a woman - her mouth stuffed with food from the buffet - and asked that in future she should pay for food before consumption.  Might you guess her response? Indignant and yelling abuse, natch.

She then claimed she had planned to pay for the food crammed in her cheeks at checkout.  How did she propose doing just that?

Why, that loveable lug lectured, she would instruct the store cashier to "add some more to my bill."  Seriously, you can't make this up!

"Sure, we'll add an adjustment to your bill.  No problem.  That will be 5 lbs. of food at $8.49 per pound."

• Like 1

The Whole Foods in Clarendon has opened a takeout window in front of the building called "The Coop."  It sells fried chicken (both maple and spicy), rotisserie chicken, various chicken sandwiches, and Korean fried chicken wings. 

This looks a bit like a Crisp & Juicy knock-off with a few other items thrown in the mix.  The chicken sandwich was OK (lettuce, tomato, "house sauce" (Big Mac special sauce?), and pickle for $8.  The fried plantain side for $2 was a good deal, and a larger portion than you would get at Crisp & Juicy for about the same price.

What I really want to know is who decided it was a good idea to place a takeout window in the front of the store on a relatively narrow sidewalk between the entrance and exit.  It's not.  Even 3 or 4 people milling around the window makes passage difficult.  This is exacerbated by the fact that it is between the entrance and where they store the shopping carts.  God forbid this window ever gets really popular.

• Like 2