Sabatino's, S. High and Fawn Streets, Little Italy

When I was about 12 or 13, my Dad, who was living in Baltimore at the time, took me to Sabatino's for dinner. I remember a crowded and bustling restaurant where I devoured pasta with red sauce and loved every minute of it. So, for shits and giggles, my wife and I went for dinner recently.

As with all things remembered from childhood, it was smaller than I remembered and it was less lively. The food seemed small and dull as well-- maybe insignificant and dead would be a more apt description. The over-dressed and dried out salad was chilled to just short of frozen. The bread basket itself may well have been more fresh and flavorful than the crap that came in it. Does the pasta come from former GM factory in Dearborn Michigan? It had a faint petroleum quality to it. Dessert? No thanks, I've had quite enough.

I should have just stuck to the fond memory.

Last month some DC friends of mine asked for recommendations for a casual dinner for visiting cousins from Long Island who were staying at the Inner Harbor during some high school lacrosse tournament. I tried to warn them away from Little Italy. Instead, I suggested a water taxi over to Fells Point or Canton and eating at Peter's Inn, Duda's, One-Eyed Mike's, Mama's on the Half Shell or Birches. Did they listen??? Noooooo.

This is the sad email I received back from my friend:

My cousin gets sick on boats; so we decided to just go to Sabatino's since they love Italian, but that was a mistake. Well they said they liked it, but I thought it was disappointing: the sauces were too heavy and the salad dressing too salty and the veal parmesian didn't have fresh parmesian. And you can now say "I told you so."

;)

Went to Sabotino's this past Sunday and I can't understand what happen to this traditional Itailan restaurant. This was the best food in little Italy 20 yrs ago and had a great spot, now the food taste like leftovers. I took my Mother there for her birthday (she has been going there for the past 20 yrs) and she was so dissapointed. I am writing this so that somehow the owners will see this and get it back to where it was before. My family had a lot of great meals and memoirs here and we want it to get back on track, the only thing that was good was the service and the Garlic bread, the food tasted like Olive Garden.

Went to Sabotino's this past Sunday and I can't understand what happen to this traditional Itailan restaurant. This was the best food in little Italy 20 yrs ago and had a great spot, now the food taste like leftovers. I took my Mother there for her birthday (she has been going there for the past 20 yrs) and she was so dissapointed. I am writing this so that somehow the owners will see this and get it back to where it was before. My family had a lot of great meals and memoirs here and we want it to get back on track, the only thing that was good was the service and the Garlic bread, the food tasted like Olive Garden.

Thank you for posting this although I'm sorry to get confirmation that Sabatino's has gone downhill. I haven't been there is at least 8 years, but had some friends who were visiting Baltimore last summer tell me that the food was atrocious. What a shame. The last time I was there, my little nieces were over the moon with the spaghetti and meatballs, and I recall having some very good gnocchi as well.

I wonder which restaurants in Baltimore's Little Italy are good these days...

I had some friends who were visiting Baltimore last summer tell me that the food was atrocious.

I wonder which restaurants in Baltimore's Little Italy are good these days...

I was there with a group last June and the food was atrocious.

Have to wonder what happened there. And where can we good for a good meal in Baltimore's Little Italy these days?

I was there with a group last June and the food was atrocious.

I have to say the best dinner there now is Aldo's...Expensive though..I just seems to me that Little Italy in baltimore has gone more comercial and they need to get back to old day's

Funny, I recently was "friended" by Sabatino's chef on Facebook. I personally haven't eaten there in probably 25 years.

When I do eat in Lil' Illy, I usually go to Della Notte. Sometimes to Germano's. Boccaccio was decent before it closed.