Granville Moore's, Chef Teddy Folkman on 12th & H Streets NE

I'll point out as well that if you go on Monday the mussels are $12 for a bowl, which is what we had earlier this week. There has been a change in the kitchen (Lo left Granville's to open the new Sospeso down the street), but the quality of the mussels and fries has remained the same. 

4 hours ago, Mark Dedrick said:

I'll point out as well that if you go on Monday the mussels are $12 for a bowl, which is what we had earlier this week. There has been a change in the kitchen (Lo left Granville's to open the new Sospeso down the street), but the quality of the mussels and fries has remained the same. 

2 hours ago, lhollers said:

A.k.a. amazing mussels and mediocre fries. That $12 Mussel Monday is so hard to beat, though...

Have you had Dino's Thursday $10 pot of mussels?   If so how do they compare?   Inquiring mussel lovers would like to know?   :D

• Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 7:25 PM, DaveO said:

Have you had Dino's Thursday $10 pot of mussels?   If so how do they compare?   Inquiring mussel lovers would like to know?   :D

I have not, but $10 is also a steal, and Dino's consistently pumps out some ridiculously high-quality food relative to the price. Will report back!

3 hours ago, Mark Dedrick said:

I'm going to have to agree to disagree with Logan on the fries. I think they're very good right now. 

On comparing to Dino's, I haven't had theirs so I can't. 

You're probably right, and I haven't been in a month or so...I'm a huge fan of thinner, crispier fries, and have always found Granville's to be a little too limp for my taste. Dipping sauce game is on point, though. I still think Le Grenier serves the best french fries on H St.

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 4/25/2017 at 1:15 PM, Mark Dedrick said:

I haven't been to Le Grenier in years. Is it worth going back? 

@Mark Dedrick, sorry, just saw this. Definitely! I'll always have a place in my heart for it, as I ran their cocktail program for a while, but I think it's one of the better, more authentic, low-key French bistros in DC. Their happy hour is virtually unknown, but is ridiculous: half price off all beers (normally $4-$6), wines by the glass (normally $10-$12), and cocktails (normally $11); and on Tuesdays, they have half price cheese and charcuterie. Hard to beat the L'assiete des Moissons, a huge slate slab of three French cheeses, three charcuteries (usually two pates and a saucisson sec), jams and nuts, and a little side salad for $11. Also some of the best baguettes I've had in DC (made and picked up daily from a bakery in NW, though I don't remember which).

Cheers!

• Like 3

[Posted here b/c I saw a recent reference to Sospeso in the thread]

Popped into Sospeso on Saturday. My understanding is it's been open for about 3 months, self-described as "Mediterranean inspired all day spot." They clearly put a lot of emphasis on design - the large downstairs bar area and dining room look incredible. And their instagram almost looks like stock advertising firm photos they're so composed.

Didn't get to try the food. Our bartender Daniel was incredibly friendly and chatty. Had a local light ale, an espresso (excellent) and a custom cocktail substitute: I wanted a pisco sour, but they don't carry pisco or cachaça, so he tried vermouth. Structurally excellent but the flavor wasn't great.

1 hour ago, Mark Dedrick said:

On first blush this does not make me very happy. I do think it's been a bit uneven the past three months or so, but otherwise we've been extremely happy with Granville's for the past five to seven years consistently. Our experience with the Vic has been much less consistent. 

From Popville: "Update: Chef Teddy Folkman will remain a partner." 

If he's running the kitchen, maybe the food will stay largely the same (as they state). I can see your worries re: Queen Vic and food. It's a fun pub but the food over the years has been a weak spot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't say that he will be an equal partner, and it says he will move to North Carolina but come back monthly to design the menu.   I am also wary, like Mark is.  I kind of go there only when I am in the mood for mussels and frites, I think it operates better with a focused specialty menu.  And with a great ale selection.  

That said, I do think it is a saavy pickup by the Queen Vic, if Granville Moore's is at a depressed value as H Street NE begins to transition from destination pubcrawl to self-sustaining destination modern neighborhood.  Granville Moore's (which I confess I hadn't realized had fallen off) isn't a Piratz Tavern concept, it should be one of the easier turnaround projects out there.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaRiv18 said:

It doesn't say that he will be an equal partner, and it says he will move to North Carolina but come back monthly to design the menu.

--

(Popville) He will continue to be the Executive Chef and will have creative control over the menu. He plans on moving to North Carolina at the end of this year but will be coming back monthly to update the menu.

LOL yeah he's out. They're just trying to placate loyal fans. 

We made our return to dining at Granville's on Saturday after more than two years away. It felt basically the same. Mussels and fries were great. Beer list was good. Crispy Brussels Sprouts were excellent. Calamari was fine. Great service. Looking forward to returning much sooner than my last visit. 

• Like 2