Is true and proper currywurst really just all about the condiment itself as long as there is an excellent dog underneath it all, particularly one with an amazing snap? I'm hooked on the stuff but am wondering if I am deluding myself to what is 'the real deal' or not.

Is true and proper currywurst really just all about the condiment itself as long as there is an excellent dog underneath it all, particularly one with an amazing snap? I'm hooked on the stuff but am wondering if I am deluding myself to what is 'the real deal' or not.

There is some discussion of it partway through this thread .

And Francis Lam wrote a terrific currywurst piece on gourmet.com yesterday. . .After living there, I thought currywurst was the jumbo slice of Berlin, that half the fun was going to the Imbiss and watching people use tables to prop themselves up after a night of drinkin.

And Francis Lam wrote a terrific currywurst piece on gourmet.com yesterday. . .After living there, I thought currywurst was the jumbo slice of Berlin, that half the fun was going to the Imbiss and watching people use tables to prop themselves up after a night of drinkin.

Great article! Thanks for sharing, MeMc! Curry 36: http://www.curry36.de/curry36.html

Click on "speisekarte" and scroll down for photos. Also, note that they are open to 4:00 in the morning!

...and to think that I'll be in Manchester in a week on the "curry mile" in Rusholme. Eating tikka masala. I haven't eaten currywurst in Berlin but I have had it on the Monckeburgstrasse in Hamburg and it was fantastic! (Note that Hamburg claims to have invented currywurst...) Regardless, currywurst, weisswurst, bratwurst are all better than anything similar that I've found in the U. S. If you look at the pictures from the link for Curry 36 in Berlin you'll note the small round rolls that the sausages are placed in. These rolls are incredible-they are just unlike anything you can find here. Then, add German mustard and this really is a meal for the Gods!

Of course tikka masala is pretty good, too...

Wow, this takes me back. :huh:

I lived in Berlin in the late 1970's -- still very Cold War Central. Great memories; I really loved that city. Fabulous currywurst! I can still smell it. I have yet to taste its equal. There was a currywurst wagon near where I lived which also served super meatballs which I enjoyed until I found out they were made from horsemeat. That was too much for me... :rolleyes:

You're more than welcome, TH.  And, thank you for the reference on Leberkase.  Love learning things like this.  I've been to Germany many times but wasn't familiar with that dish.  Checking some online sites for photos, I think it likely that was what was ordered at our table.  The description of it on Wikipedia is consistent.  I'd normally have asked and learned what it was but was distracted by other goings-on at the table; most of all ensuring the guest of honor was having a good time!  The person who ordered it just called it "meatloaf" and it must have been an off-menu special.  I didn't try it but she did enjoy it quite a bit.

You won't find Leberkäse much outside Bavaria, but every snack-bar in Munich has it in abundance. It's marginally less objectionable than Currywurst, which is to be found in snack-bars all over Germany and is repulsive in every one of them. I love much of the central-European cuisine, but not all of it. Currywurst is generally presented as bite-size chunks of some kind of Grillwurst, doused in tomato ketchup and liberally sprinkled with curry powder. Like this:

Currywurst_3810858_S.jpg