Burke Market

I went to the Burke farmers market for the first time in a couple of years, yesterday. In addition to the familiar produce vendors, I was very glad to see Cibola Farm, and a couple of cheese/dairy farmers. I went resolved to only by one or two things, and had to make two trips back to the car to unload my purchases.

In the past 24 hours, I've learned all kinds of things to make with squash blossoms. We'll be eating our first Cibola pork roast tonight. I also came home with wonderful salad greens, onions, potatoes, turnips, and baby carrots. We'll enjoy some of Cibola's pork sausages later this week.

Next Saturday I'm enrolled in Maestro's cooking class, so I'll probably have to send my husband to the market with a list. :)

Lots of wonderful things at the Burke Farmers Market yesterday. I came home with Cibola Farm eggs and spareribs, Blue Highland Dairy whole milk, cream, and cream cheese, red and green tomatoes, and the most exquisite yellow cherry tomatoes from Hanover (?) Virginia. The first corn on the season, fresh peas and green beans, arugula, parsley, basil, rainbow chard, and fabulous peaches.

Sounds great, HillValley!

I slept in this morning, and got to the Burke market late, but there was still plenty of produce. The peaches and nectarines, and the Hanover tomatoes were almost sold out, but I got a few of each. I got a couple of bunches of carrots, thinking I'd try for a soup. My husband was asking for vichyssoise, so I picked up some leeks and potatoes. There were several different varieties of corn at various booths, and I think I wound up with Silver Queen this week. I saw a sign for blackberries, but they were long gone. Two WF shopping bags and 1 cooler full later, I'm home with milk, eggs, spare ribs, sausage, tomatoes, cucumbers, and garlic. Time for lunch!

The Burke market was down one vendor yesterday, but still very busy. Not much corn, but I arrived at my usual 10:30, so there might have been more early. I also missed the orange cherry tomatoes from Red Rake Farm (Hanover, VA), and my hands started to shake at the realization. Next week I set the alarm clock!

Next week I'll also try the feta cheese mentioned by DameEdna at Blue Highland Dairy. Inexplicably, their booth at the Burke market is not usually crowded, although yesterday they had sold out of heavy cream and half-gallons of whole milk. I have fallen in love with their cottage cheese, which is nothing like the bitter versions I've gotten at supermarkets, that made me give up on the product until now.

I did pick up a bunch of purslane, which was delicious minced up with (red) cherry tomatoes in the cottage cheese. I didn't know what it was, but the vendor had a clipping from the WaPo attached to the display, and it looked interesting.

Peaches, heirloom tomatoes, peppers, onions, and potatoes were in abundance, and will decorate my dinner plate tonight.

Yesterday in Burke, I stocked up on Cibola Farms pork chops (main ingredient: crack) and got some pork cutlets to try for a quick week night supper. A sign at the front of their booth introduced their new item: Dog Food. My dogs will sample the ground chicken/bison combination tonight and report back.

The other meat vendor (Smith) had a few chickens in a wire crate under their awning. Everyone was admiring the beautiful birds and chuckling when the rooster crowed. A few people thought they were for sale and tried to buy them. I heard the vendor telling someone that she'd had a visit from Fairfax Animal Control earlier in the day, responding to a complaint of "chickens in a small cage in the sun with no water". The ACO took a look at the chickens and pronounced them the healthiest-looking birds he'd ever seen, echoing my sentiments.

I also got squash blossoms, peaches, onions, potatoes, cranberry beans, corn, cherry/grape tomatoes, some larger red tomatoes, one heirloom tomato, and a couple of green ones, and a couple of cucumbers. I'm trying to buy only things that I don't expect to get in my Monday farm share, which sometimes is difficult.

I'm going to use the potatoes and onions with some bison short ribs from Cibola for a nice oven braise that my husband can put in the oven tomorrow night while I go pick up the farm share. Since I'm frying the squash blossoms tonight with some soft shell crabs, I may experiment with the green tomatoes in that venue.

I'm loving summer, despite the Ozone warnings! ;)