Cafe De Paris, Columbia - Erik Rochard's French Country Cooking on Centre Park Drive - Closed

Is Cafe de Paris still open? It used to be a great pretty romantic place when I lived in Columbia a few years ago. I tried calling the number on their website, 410-997-3904, to order a gift certificate for a couple moving to Columbia soon and I got nothing. Anyone know what's up? Thanks.

Is Cafe de Paris still open? It used to be a great pretty romantic place when I lived in Columbia a few years ago. I tried calling the number on their website, 410-997-3904, to order a gift certificate for a couple moving to Columbia soon and I got nothing. Anyone know what's up? Thanks.

It might be that they might not be open on Mondays. I just called them and Erik answered the phone in his always pleasant manner. Give 'em another try.

Wanted to meet some friends who live in Columbia at lunchtime yesterday, so we met them for brunch at Cafe de Paris. There was almost no one else there, although the adjoining Crepe Cafe was busy. The brunch menu is a la carte and includes several specials not listed on the menu. We thought the food was very good. Started with warm French bread and butter. I had the quiche special (walnuts and cheddar I think) which was delicious and served with a small mixed lettuce salad and fresh fruit salad as well - very nice. We would definitely try a dinner here if in the area. Didn't check the wine list -wish I'd thought to do so.

I was there in December on a Wednesday night and it was almost barren. I hope his business is not off as I really enjoy the place when I go (usually 2-3 times a year). We had a nice meal there and the wine list is decent and decently priced and yes, mostly French.

I used to go often when it was in Laurel, (in fact I spend a couple of hours there each Wednesday talking food and wine with Eric while my son was in Hebrew school) but have only been once since he had to move. I found that his new location was hard to find, and being in an office building made it less appealing before you got inside.

My wife and I went here again last night. We were a bit worried about the place, because we last went in mid-December mid-week and the place had only 3 tables occupied for most of the evening. But last night the place was packed again. Whew!

Eric was there again to warmly greet us, and we got a nice booth. There's a regular server/manager, I forget her name, who's been there for the past couple of years and she took care of us. We were ravenous. But we'd been thinking about this dinner for two days after I suggested it as our splurge of the week, us being on Weight Watchers and all. We both craved steak frites. The meat, the starch, and the glory that is frites getting washed with the jus from the steak. Oy! It was just as we expected of it and hoped for. Woo-hoo!

After splitting a salad, we dug in to the meal and had to slow down part way through as our stomachs must have been shrinking. But we ended up managing to eat all of that glorious food. No dessert for us this time, we instead indulged in a very nice bottle of wine, the 2003 Match Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, Butterdragon. It was a bit muted on the palate at first, but the nose was amazing! Oxygen, evergreen needles and molasses framed a delicious core of currents, black cherries and blackberries. It eventually opened up to revel wonderful layers of creme caramel and even some of that brown sugar I look for in a Match. Just a wonderful bottle of wine to complement the food. 91 points!

I also must say that the total tab of the meal is quite reasonable. We ended up tipping really well beacause the dollar amount that I felt was right worked out that way. I think I hit over 30%. Anyway, they have a 3-course prix fixe if you want it for $43 a person. That's quite reasonable for what you get if you ask me.

Went here again last summer/fall. They were out of the wine we ordered, so Eric dug in to a stash of wine and made a great syrah based recommendation as a substitute for the same price - food as good as always. Not spectacular, but solid good food. Glad to see he's still cranking and a nice place to get away from all of the chain places in Columbia.