Eventide, Wilson Blvd. in Clarendon - Closed For Good Sunday, Nov 16, 2014

I hope that you will join us at some point this summer as we begin to open for dinner service on Sundays. About once a month through the summer we will have a special event on the roof (or in the lounge if we get stormed out). During those events, we will also open the lounge for drinks and dinner featuring our newly expanded lounge menu as well as some specials. On the Sundays we don't have an event, we will open the lounge for service and, weather permitting, the roof. Is that confusing? Maybe. Essentially, starting Sunday, June 5th, you can come to Eventide starting at 4PM and either enjoy the lounge, the roof or one of our featured "Summer Sunday at Eventide" events.

The kickoff will be "Bourbon & BBQ," Sunday the 5th at 4PM. Chef Adam will cook up some meats, some great sides, summery desserts and Matt will be offering tastes of a variety of bourbons and as much info on them as you can stand. We'll also have sweet tea, spiked and un-spiked lemonade and some other goodies. All you can eat & the nips of bourbon for $35, alcoholic drinks a la carte.

And, no, we don't have any plans to bring back brunch. Sorry.

Questions? Let me know.

post-3097-0-10760800-1305421420_thumb.gi

So I was at the bar at Eventide last Thursday night. And while the drinks were very good, the food was good, but not stellar. The pretzels that I loved from before were just not browned on the outside and lacked a little bit of the crustiness that I like on a soft pretzel, could have just been this batch. Also had the beef sandwich which is similar to the one I absolutely loved on the brunch menu, but not quite the same and not quite as good. I mean none of it was bad, it just was not quite the sandwich that I was obsessed with. The pickled condiments on the sandwich really made it, and those did not seem to be there anymore.

But service was very friendly and good. Couldn't have asked for more on that end. And I would definitely go back and try some other things on the menu.

A group of us are hitting Eventide tomorrow (Sat.) night for the first time. I realize the menu is seasonal, but is there anything that's consistent that we shouldn't miss? Please ignore this stupidity. Had a good meal from the small, seasonal menu. I doubt anything is consistent so...nevermind.

Had drinks and a light meal on the roof at Eventide last Sunday. The chilled pea soup was great, and my dining partner loved his chicken. The service was friendly, and we were delighted that the chef was willing to whip up something special for the 3-year-old (OK, pasta with red sauce, not so special, but still). One quibble, though: Wo ordered the cheese plate, which arrived fast and...chilled (the cheese, that is, not the plate). And when we asked what the three cheeses were (the menu says only "artisanal"), the server who brought them pointed to the blue cheese and said, "This one's the blue." He guessed that one of the others was "the cheddar," then went to find our original server. She, too, accurately pointed out the blue cheese--and guessed that a different one was the cheddar. Neither had any clue what the third selection (whichever one it was) happened to be. Now, we're an easygoing bunch, but we did think the lack of knowledge was a little strange--and, frankly, a sign of incomplete training. (Also, we would have liked the cheese at a better temperature, hot day notwithstanding.)

Nonetheless, I look forward to going back for a meal in the dining room.

Now here's a restaurant that seems to have fallen off the radar. We hadn't been there since Shaggy left. We both ordered the romaine salad and ravioli. The romaine featured goat cheese and snap peas in a green goddess dressing. We liked it but the romaine was less than fresh. The ravioli was light and tasty and came with a nice ratatouille with zucchini, eggplant, and a subtle tomato sauce. But the real stars of the evening were the buttermilk biscuits with parmesan and a wonderful side of succotash served in a little red baking dish which arrived with corn, of course, but also black-eyed peas and crunchy green fava beans. An all vegetarian and excellent meal. Oh, and the Old Vine Malbec by the glass was not overly dry or dense.

Was on the rooftop a few weeks ago. Had the olives to start. That was interesting kind of halfway between marinated olives and olive tapenade. The olives were good, I just wasn't quite expecting, but I liked the flavor a lot. I then had the tagliatelle with mussels, clams, spinach and saffron sauce. The sauce was good, seafood fresh cooked well, I really liked the flavor of the homemade noodles, but they came very clumped together. I didn't make a fuss as I was out at a business dinner, but the dish other than that was really good, so hopefully someone just wasn't paying enough attention to that dish at the moment, as it had great flavor otherwise.

I wanted to let you all know that we are saying goodbye to Adam Barnett, our current chef. He is heading into the city to take a job with the Kimpton Hotel Group at Poste. It's a good move for him, and we wish him the best of luck.

I also hope you'll welcome our new chef, Johnnie Thomas. Johnnie has been a sous here for a couple years. Previously, he was at The Inn at Little Washington, Eve and most recently, Cityzen. We're excited to give him the opportunity, and you will see some of his stuff right away while he moves towards a menu overhaul for all floors in early April.

Also, if you haven't been by yet, come check out our Sunday Brunch. It's buffet style, and it has been going great. We make a few varieties of donuts every week, and we recently took home 2nd place at the first ever "Donut Fest" downtown where we went up against a bunch of other restaurants and specialty donut shops.

Antonio Burrell officially becomes Executive Chef tomorrow night at Eventide.

Before anyone flocks to go there, it will take some time for Antonio to become acclimated, and the menu being featured tomorrow night (Tuesday) will be the exact same menu as before. It will take some time for the full menu changeover to occur, so keep checking in here for Antonio's announcements.

There have been some comments made about Antonio kitchen-hopping, but the truth is that he opened Masa 14 and stayed there for years, and when he became free, "the right fit" was never available, so he did bounce around a little bit, trying to fit square pegs into round holes. I think this matchup is a very good one, both for the restaurant and the chef, so I'd like to say "congratulations" to both. And most importantly, to the diners of Clarendon.

• Like 5

I am definitely happy to hear this. I've been kind of missing Eventide lately (it's been ages since I've been there) and had been thinking about getting back over there.

Also, I'm glad I don't have to go into the city to eat Antonio's food! (I still miss CommonWealth, too...)

Antonio Burrell officially becomes Executive Chef tomorrow night at Eventide.

Before anyone flocks to go there, it will take some time for Antonio to become acclimated, and the menu being featured tomorrow night (Tuesday) will be the exact same menu as before. It will take some time for the full menu changeover to occur, so keep checking in here for Antonio's announcements.

There have been some comments made about Antonio kitchen-hopping, but the truth is that he opened Masa 14 and stayed there for years, and when he became free, "the right fit" was never available, so he did bounce around a little bit, trying to fit square pegs into round holes. I think this matchup is a very good one, both for the restaurant and the chef, so I'd like to say "congratulations" to both. And most importantly, to the diners of Clarendon.

I'll add my enthusiasm to the posts above!  Exciting news!  Don's comment about it taking some time for Antonio to become acclimated to Eventide and taking some time for the full menu changeover to occur brought to mind Antonio's post about his thoughts on a new chef making changes to the menu, which I found very educational.

And the days when Eleventh Street Lounge existed seems like ages ago, given the changes in Clarendon.  (And by the way, has anyone heard what might be headed to the ground level of that new building?  There's a huge street level space with lots of windows.  A new restaurant?)

I would like to say thank you to all for the warm words and welcomes. It feels good to be back in the area. I am very excited to get moving and I think the possibilities for Eventide are limitless. We are planning to aggressively change the menu for Odd Bar and the roof top first. This is the priority because the patio season is upon us. Soon thereafter we will be slowly phasing in the dining room menu. Nick has given me the opportunity to establish a vision for the food here, which is an opportunity that rarely comes along, and that has me chomping at the bit, and has me feeling grateful.

I would also like to add that without Donrockwell.com, which is where I saw Nick's posting for a chef, this wouldn't be happening.

• Like 1

I can't wait for nice weather and head over there.

Weather is suppose to be awesome this weekend ;-) I figured I'd let ya'll in on a lil secret...we are changing the menu in Odd Bar tomorrow. This menu will be doing double duty as the roof top menu. It's something we wanted to change first because those are both areas where people are more apt to give us a try. Hopefully we reach enough people who dig what we do and how we do it and want to come back and try the dining room. And by we I mean the entire front of the house also. I haven't met a bunch of people more focused on the guest being happy and having a good time in a long time, they all seem genuinely happy when the guest are. It make's a great environment for working that's for sure. Anyy......wayyyy... before I wandered off....

The new Odd Bar Menu.....sans pricing...you'll have to come in and find out hahahaha. na it'll be on the site soon with prices.

Plates of sizes that vary:

Truffled Fries, parmesan, basil aioli, ketchup

Sweet Chili Glazed Chicken Wings, fried garlic, cilantro, celery-blue cheese slaw, smoked onion ranch

House Baked Soft Pretzles, rarebit, burn yer nose mustard, pimento cheese

Nachooooos, cheddar, sour cream, guacamole. choice of chili or chicken

Cider Glazed Pork Belly Sliders, Parker House Rolls, Carolina Slaw, House Pickles/Frickles

Deviled Eggs:Pick yer Flavor: Classic, Pimento Cheese, Smoked Salmon and Caper

Cesar Salad Summer Rolls, hearts of romaine, rice paper, classic Cesar, romaine parmesan emulsion, anchovy breadcrumbs

Pickled Egg and Beets, raw and roasted beets, blue, radish, orange, pecan, pomegranate, pickled egg

Green Tomato and Avocado Gazpacho, avocado relish, BAT (House Bacon, Arugula, Fried Green Tomatoes) on brioche, lemony aioli

Plates tending to feed one person:

Classic Fried Chicken "Basket": Leg and Breast with whipped potatoes, carolina slaw, smoked honey and a buttermilk biscuit

Lager Battered Cod, Housemade chips, Tartare Sauce and assorted things that taste good fried (lemons, olives, pickles..no oreos)

Steak Frites, 10 oz Roseda Farms Ribeye, pan seared, natural jus, frites, petite salad, house butter

Shrimp and Grits (Homage to the Bueben) Seared head on shrimp, anson mills grits, chard, charred onions, thyme lager cream ( can't mess with a classic)

Bladdy bladdy blah about local farms, etc etc, you guys know me, you know what I like to cook. Come get a taste, come back later have another, then brings some friends. It'll be cool, we'll be like friends and stuff :-)

Goodnight. If you do stop in in the next few weeks, say hi, somebody on here can vouch for how charming I am lol.

• Like 6

I will be moving things in and out as we phase old dishes out but....here it is in all its glory. The full menu will be available by the end of next week.

Eventide Spring Dining Room Menu

Soups:

Ramp and Potato Vichyssoise  leek/potato/rye crouton/6 minute egg, truffle

Chesapeake Oyster Soup  country ham/green onion/celery/oldbay oyster crackers/thyme oyster broth

Small Plates and such:

Cesar Salad "Summer Rolls"  romaine/rice paper/classic Cesar dressing/romaine-parmesean emulsion/anchovy bread crumbs/parmsean mousse croutons

Beet Beet Egg  roasted and raw beets/radishes/blue/pecan/pomegranate/hibiscus/orange

Beef Heart Tartare ala Oscar  hand chopped beef heart/crab/asparagus/hollandaise foam/fingerling potato crisps

Lobster Roll Salad  butter poached lobster/old bay aioli/celery/red onion/mache/brioche

Fava Bean and Riccota Agnolotti  ramps/meyer lemon brown butter/spring mushrooms

Sea Scallops and Fried Artichokes  black garlic/romesco/herb riccotta

Fishes and things from the sea

Brioche Crusted Halibut  farro/ramps/peas/favas/lemon tofu foam/dashi

Seafood Stew  Lobster/oysters/manila clams/shrimp/saffon isreali cous cous/old bay lobster broth

Cod Piperade  confit peppers/country olives/counrty ham and basil breadcrumbs/zuchinni ribbons/pepper coulis

Shrimp and Grits  Marvesta head on shrimp/anson mills grits/greens/caramelized onions/lager thyme cream

Meats and stuff from the land

Fried Chicken  brined and fried breast/thigh roulade/spring green succotash/cornbread croutons/beer mustard chicken jus

Roseda Farms Ribeye  house made summer sausage/marrow flan/peas and mushrooms/smoked fingerling potatoes/whiskey peppercorn glace

Lamb and Lamb  basalmic poached loin/bacon/corriander glazed carrots/white beans/kale/goat butter/wood sorrel

Pork and Pork  house cured ham steak/pork belly/rhubarb chowchow/summer squash casserole/red eye cafe au lait

Sides

Smoked Fingerling potatoes Lyonaisse

4 Cheese and Macaroni Gratine

Anson Mills Grits/Whipped Goat Cheese

Greens and Mushrooms

• Like 2

For this coming 4th of July:

Come see us on the rooftop at Eventide this 4th of July:

We will be serving the Bar menu plus the following BBQ Special:

Meats:

Texas Style Beef Brisket

Whole Hog, chopped and served with Carolina Sauce

Sides

Potato Salad

Blue Cheese Coleslaw

Baked Beans

Grilled Corn

Jalapeno Corn Bread

4 Cheese Macaroni

This will be available on the roof on the 4th and possibly the 5th. Choice of meat and 2 sides or a Combination Plate with 2 sides.

For this coming 4th of July:

Come see us on the rooftop at Eventide this 4th of July:

We will be serving the Bar menu plus the following BBQ Special:

Meats:

Texas Style Beef Brisket

Whole Hog, chopped and served with Carolina Sauce

Sides

Potato Salad

Blue Cheese Coleslaw

Baked Beans

Grilled Corn

Jalapeno Corn Bread

4 Cheese Macaroni

This will be available on the roof on the 4th and possibly the 5th. Choice of meat and 2 sides or a Combination Plate with 2 sides.

Is this both during the day on the 4th and at night?  It looks wonderful.

Is this both during the day on the 4th and at night?  It looks wonderful.

We aren't open for lunch so it will be available from 4pm on. If you don't want to eat on the roof but would rather eat inside, I do believe we will have seats available at the bar downstairs a d our elevator makes going up and down a breeze :-)

We aren't open for lunch so it will be available from 4pm on. If you don't want to eat on the roof but would rather eat inside, I do believe we will have seats available at the bar downstairs and our elevator makes going up and down a breeze :-)

If it was an outdoor elevator, it would be more of a breeze.

• Like 1

Went to Eventide on Friday for dinner.  I've been under previous chefs and it was a decent place -- nothing remarkable, but fine.  I hadn't been in a couple years and I forgot how great of a space the dining room is.  It's a very warm and cozy space with couches acting as booths, but it's also a very distinct space with exposed brick walls, 20+ foot ceilings with 20+ foot drapes to match, and a massive rustic chandelier.  It's one of the most unique spaces around DC.  A great place for a date.

My fiancee and I "split" the oyster soup with country ham, green onions, potatoes and celery; beet and pickled egg with radishes, pecans, bleu cheese, pomegranate and orange hibiscus gelee, scallop and fried artichoke with an interesting black garlic aioli, the lobster roll salad, and the strawberry polenta cake.  All were very well thought out, well prepared, everything was well seasoned and the sauces were both good and complemented the dishes well.  I think my favorite was probably the oyster soup but they were all very good.  I live within walking distance so I'll be back but I'd make the drive even if I didn't live nearby.

Had a delicious meal at Eventide tonight.  This has to be among the nicest places in the area to be able to talk (due to booths and lots of room) but still have pretty modern food.  Certainly nothing groundbreaking but everything was well-prepared.  Service was excellent and the room is beautiful.  The scallop appetizer was a highlight.  I had stayed away for a while as the chefs seemed to be changing for a while but I am interested in returning again before too long.  

Don't wait too long too return.....The building has been put up for lease since July....this  I learned from a guest in August asking why the business was for sale..as she was looking for retail space..and me replying..that's news to me until I asked for myself and got the answer...the owners wish to jettison the remaining 10 years on the lease and get out of that location..hence ceasing operations there.  Before I left a few weeks ago, there was more and more interest in the spot.  It is a great spot..but Clarendon needs a place that caters to the 30-60 crowds..not the bottom line Happy Hours kids for $3 french fries.  So much potential for that spot, but that area is all about volume volume volume and drinking

Breaking News: Sadly, Eventide is closing for good tonight after service.

The new tenant will be Mike Cordero's company (they operate A-Town Bar & Grill).

Eventide was a groundbreaking restaurant, and launched the careers of both Aggie Chin and Justus Frank, among others.

Thank you to everyone at Eventide for a good run - I'm going to miss you.

(Employees can write me in confidence if they need any help.)

Shit.

A-Town is the most notorious bar in the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor and has had more police incidents and complaints than anyone.  I hope the owners have a slightly different direction in mind for this.  If not, this block containing Spider Kelly's (which I actually quite like when it is not crowded), Clarendon Ballroom, and this new place will be a horror show on a Friday night.

It's my sincere hope the new owners don't try and replicate A-Town in the space - otherwise that block genuinely will turn into essentially Adams Morgan (at least the Adams Morgan I remember of about 9 -10 years ago).  It's such a beautiful building - hopefully they don't turn it into a frat house which is essentially what A-Town is.

Sad enough that Eventide is closing. I loved that place, especially the bar. Making its replacement a meathead joint like A-Town would be just insulting and would dramatically change for the worse that strip of establishments. 

Liberty Tavern is like a culinary Muhammad Ali, playing rope-a-dope in the corner (this strategy didn't work 100% of the time for Ali).

It's my sincere hope the new owners don't try and replicate A-Town in the space - otherwise that block genuinely will turn into essentially Adams Morgan (at least the Adams Morgan I remember of about 9 -10 years ago).  It's such a beautiful building - hopefully they don't turn it into a frat house which is essentially what A-Town is.

Ugh

There is more to come from me, but right now, we are still in the thick of it. To that end, I have a substantial wine inventory to get rid of. I know there are lots of oenophiles on this site, and this is a chance to have an instantly impressive cellar. Likewise, any restaurants looking to fill out their collection at a great price, here is your chance.

We have about 1400 bottles with a wholesale value of $25,000. I want to sell the whole thing at once, so if you are willing to do that, I will drop 20% off the wholesale price that we paid. This is a steal. If you want to split it up among different people, that's fine, and I will help coordinate, but I would like one transaction. I might even be willing to deliver it.

It is all cataloged on a spreadsheet with the prices we paid, and it is all being stored at temp. Interested parties, please send me a private message or e-mail me: nickfreshman@gmail.com.

Some highlights:

2009 Quintessa, 6EA, $79.99/btl
2012 The Prisoner, 14EA, $23/btl
2010 Beaux Freres, Upper Terrace, 2EA, $60/btl
2012 Ken Wright, Freedom Hill, 2EA, $30.93/btl
2011 Plumpjack Estate, 4EA, $56/btl

There is, of course, a lot more.

And if you are concerned, this is cleared by the ABC.