Dining at Union Station

Union Station sushi...

Are you still alive??

By the way, have any of you heard that a new owner will be taking over the entire Union Station food court/circus/waste dump/superfund site? It's been reported in the Hill Rag and Voice of the Hill, but I can't find a link to either.

Are you still alive??

By the way, have any of you heard that a new owner will be taking over the entire Union Station food court/circus/waste dump/superfund site? It's been reported in the Hill Rag and Voice of the Hill, but I can't find a link to either.

I read that in one of those two publications and can't find a link either. Could it have been in City Paper? It said the movie theaters would likely be shut down and that the only restaurant with a contract well into the future was Thunder Grill, but that America and others were confident they could renegotiate and stay.

I think it might be that the new owner already took over and the past fuss about problems the one food court vendor had with them was an early sign of what was to come.

from Tim Carman last year: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=2170

I'm pretty sure Ashkenazy is the same company I saw mentioned in the recent article I read about the upcoming changes.

A new place has opened where Burrito Brothers once stood. Unfortunately, it is not an improvement. The new place is called Sakura Japan. They have a limited menu of most teriyaki and beef sukiyaki. I cannot speak for the teriyaki but the beef, well not so good. The meat was tough and with no beef flavor, and it was seasoned overwhelmingly with black pepper (and I like pepper). The fried rice had a dusty flavor to it and was not pleasing in the least bit. Unless some tells me that the teriyaki is worth getting back in the slow moving line to try, I doubt that I will be back.

Oh boy. This all sounds encouraging. We're gonna have to get a traveling dinner there next month. As I recall it wasn't too easy last year, especially with the mice running around. I think I wound up with some sort of falafel salad thing that was OK.

Just make sure your immunizations are up to date.

I just realized I haven't set foot in this place in several months, even out of desperation, despite working two blocks from here in a highly lunch-deprived area.

It was never great food, but at least you knew you could get something to eat, and you could go with a group of picky eater law students or co-workers and everyone would find something they liked. They actually used to have some decent stuff - there was a Marvelous Market, a bakery with cute birthday cakes, decent Indian food for when I was homesick for my mom's cooking, and burritos (which were cheap and filling and quite edible, as long as they were doused with spicy green salsa.)

I don't remember exactly when it started to degenerate into the filthy mess it now is, although I guess it was always chaotic with the tourists and the movie theaters.

Today there was an article in the Post about how Union Station is one of the top 10 public spaces in the country or something. It's hokey but every time I arrive back in DC on Amtrak I'm still awed by the building. Sigh - I hope the downstairs is revived somehow. At least the cobbler and drugstore are still there.

I think the last several times I've eaten at Union Station, it's been nachos at Center Cafe. They're surprisingly good and not terribly expensive. Actually, it's been a while since I've had them, so I wouldn't be surprised if the price has gone up :lol:.

Has anyone else tried the new Jamaican place in the food court? If I pick up lunch I usually head down pretty early so the goat stew has not been ready the couple time's I've been there. I give them props for having the ambition to serve goat every day but wonder how much they're going to have to throw out since they will need to cater to middle schoolers.

I like the $5 oven roasted wings at America's happy hour. Cheap and good--lots of meat, not swimming in greasy sauce. East Street Cafe is good value too--plus unsecured wifi, but lunchtime is crazy--I would order carryout or go for dinner. The Indian place downstairs isn't bad either (cash only).

But my favorite lunch spot in that neighborhood is Tacqueria Nacionale. Everything I've eaten there has been outstanding.

There have been some additions to the swill being passed off as food in Union Station, there is now a Taco Bell and Subway in the basement area. Bojangles (food court) and Chipotle (main level) will soon be added to the list.

Union Station has turned into chain central. The west hall on the main level now has a Chipotle, Potbelly's, Roti, Yo! Sushi, and Chop't. There's also a Pret a Manger on that level. Quite a few of the mom 'n pops on the lower level have been replaced with chains, although a few of the former are still around. Burger King and Einstein Bagels are incoming. They also have stands near the outdoor Metro entrance. America is long gone, although Pizzeria Uno, Center Cafe, and East St. Cafe are there.

I had a terrible breakfast at Johnny Rockets recently before catching a train. I ordered a platter with biscuits, gravy, shredded cheese, fried eggs, and sausage. I have a weakness for biscuits and gravy. But these biscuits were flat and dense, and the gravy was watery. The worst part was that the gravy was cold. The fried eggs (over easy) were fine. I pretty much ate the eggs and left the rest.

I then went across the food court to Bojangles and ordered a steak biscuit. I enjoyed the Bojangles biscuit much more by comparison.

Here's an interesting question. Twitter member @IMGoph, who is also known as District Curmudgeon :), recently disputed my claim that more people were at Brookland Pint on opening night than have ever been in a NE DC restaurant in a single evening, citing Union Station as a counter-example. Honestly, I completely neglected to even think about Union Station. But I'm wondering if, for example, a Union Station restaurant could accommodate, say, 1,000 people in a given night. If so? @IMGoph might have a valid point.

But I'm wondering if, for example, a Union Station restaurant could accommodate, say, 1,000 people in a given night. If so? @IMGoph might have a valid point.

Pff, that Chipotle probably serves 1,000 people before Noon ;)

(Serious reply) And I'm not sure if Brookland Pint's opening night could compete with a World Cup afternoon at Biergarten Haus.

See line

. But I'm wondering if, for example, a Union Station restaurant could accommodate, say, 1,000 people in a given night. If so? @IMGoph might have a valid point.

Union Station is unique.  Its a major transportation hub for commuters and long distance travelers.  Over the years our school has been familiar with some of the operators.  On an anecdotal basis I heard from one that during the last two inaugurations the dining operations were crushed for the entire facility with his in particular serving more diners over longer periods of time than ever before or after.  The 2008 inauguration was more jam packed than the last one.   He referenced the entire staff worked the entire time period in the weeds doing the best they could with the most customers they ever faced.

(Serious reply) And I'm not sure if Brookland Pint's opening night could compete with a World Cup afternoon at Biergarten Haus.

Interesting - I wonder if Biergarten Haus has the sheer size. This may all be nothing more than a barroom discussion (literally) because Busboys & Poets is going to be opening up soon, just down the street from Brookland Pint.