Stan's has great wings. The fried wings arrive looking like a crown rack of wings, with all sections intact, and with the pointy ends facing up. It's beautiful.

Stan's also has mediocre wings. The baked wings are also on the menu, but (1) they come in sections, and (2) they appear to be fried, but without breading. 

Such a stark difference....

• Like 1

On 4/5/2008 at 7:15 PM, DonRocks said:

Just had a request for buffalo wings, and am drawing a blank. My favorite two wings in town are Comet Ping Pong (will be slammed tonight) and Bombay Curry Company (was just there earlier this week). I went to Urban Burger this afternoon, so that's out too. I've never tried the ones at Johnny's Half Shell, but I fear they'll be too spicy for the Mattster. Likewise Bon Chon. Hungry child on hand. Refuse to go fast food. If you're not a member but have an idea, please email me at donrocks@donrockwell.com. Help!

Note that the above quote is over nine-years old.

Since Carole Greenwood left Comet Ping-Pong, the wings aren't as good - they were *the* best in the area for a time.

However, just last night, I had the wings from the new Bombay Curry Company for the first time in many years, and I don't know of any others in the region that are as good. They're not "hot," but they use spices, and are as compelling now as they were back in 2008. 

Remember Bombay Curry Company - I think doordash delivers for $2.99. You can thank me here, later, after you order them - better still, quote this, and then post on their thread.

• Like 1

My favorite wings within the last year have to be what is served at Stan`s which I remember to be near the McPherson (sp?) Square Metro station.  For me a small order is just right.  All three parts of the wing are included. I had previously seen a discussion about their liquor pours and asked the bartender about this as I was leaving.  4 ounces was the response.  It was a three piece wing seasoned to my taste although hot sauce was available.  I only heard about this place though this website but have been back 3 or 4 times in the last year.  Thanks for letting me know about this place although I feel a bit guilty never ordering anything but wings (and drinks, but I was taking Metro).

Paul

• Like 2

On 10/29/2016 at 10:07 AM, Kibbee Nayee said:

Stan's has great wings. The fried wings arrive looking like a crown rack of wings, with all sections intact, and with the pointy ends facing up. It's beautiful.

Stan's also has mediocre wings. The baked wings are also on the menu, but (1) they come in sections, and (2) they appear to be fried, but without breading. 

Such a stark difference....

Having just had lousy Small, not-that-moist, overpriced wings at a place not-to-be-mentioned—I agree with KN above—at least in part.

Stans has terrific wings.  I like both versions—they are significantly different.

Oh yeah- Stans also serves liquor .

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Having just had lousy Small not that moist overpriced wings at a place not to be mentioned—I agree with KN above—at least in part.

Stans has terrific wings.  I like both versions—they are significantly different.

Oh yeah- Stans also serves liquor .

I've stooped to making my own wings at home the wings in MoCo are so bad.  Don't have a deep fryer (and don't love doing it on the stove top), so I either steam or sous vide the wings, then bake at 450 until golden and crispy.  Buffalo style, of course.

3 minutes ago, jeffmhunt said:

Friends and I are doing a version of Hot Ones this summer - we've procured a selection of hot sauces, so now we need the chicken. My first thought is to just buy a pile of pre-cooked wings from some place and then heat and toss at home, but of course I want them to be plain vehicles for sauce - any suggestions? Thanks.

Depends on how much you want to spend, but The Organic Butcher has *great* chicken parts. I know I keep talking about this place, but just yesterday, I dropped $130 there without batting an eye, and will continue to do so. Wagyu burgers with Applewood smoked bacon on Brioche rolls, with a little Ramp Mustard. 

4 hours ago, jeffmhunt said:

Friends and I are doing a version of Hot Ones this summer - we've procured a selection of hot sauces, so now we need the chicken. My first thought is to just buy a pile of pre-cooked wings from some place and then heat and toss at home, but of course I want them to be plain vehicles for sauce - any suggestions? Thanks.

McCormick has frozen, unseasoned wings that are pretty decent if you really don't want to cook your own.  Otherwise you can get wings at pretty much any grocery store.

Wingo’s in Georgetown and Glover Park deserve mention among the best in the area:

1. They specialize in wings

2. I think over 20 different flavors

3. Been around since the early 2000’s

4.  Primarily a popular takeout place their newish Glover Park location is a popular neighborhood restaurant with a larger menu and two bars.  It is informal and youthful.

5. I used to pick up wings in the early 2000’s in Gtowne and forgot about them—ate wings at the Glover Park location (2200 block Wisconsin Ave) recently

The wings remain tasty and well cooked if not huge.  Very well done, moist meat excellent sauce—I had a tasty lemon pepper   Nice portion.

(I probably prefer Stan’s .  Both places serve booze but Stan’s adds a magical mystical ingredient to its booze—others call it quantity)

Regardless if you are in the area Wingo’s is an excellent choice.

• Like 1