W Domku, Owner Kera Carpenter's Scandinavian And Slavic (!) In Petworth - Closed Jun 30, 2016

The service was fine but doesn't really answer your question because the place was fairly deserted

I'm not sure who our server was (we didn't ask and the bill/receipt didn't have a name as is common at many restaurants) but I'd guess it may have been Kera if she ever waits tables at slow times?

It's even been a problem when empty. The new staff just don't pay close enough attention.

She does - and as far as I know, she's the only Asian woman there right now.

I was in there last night. Service was pretty good!

Kera's aware of the problem now (and cares about it).

Thanks Don!

Someday, I will figure out a polite and effective way to tell people who do not work for me hard things.

It's even been a problem when empty. The new staff just don't pay close enough attention.

She does - and as far as I know, she's the only Asian woman there right now.

I was in there last night. Service was pretty good!

Ah, that helps. Our server a few nights ago wasn't asian. And she also did a fine job.

Domku has remodeled. Really nice new banquettes (no more couches) and chairs (love the fabric they used), a cool partition between the bar and restaurant. Dinner Friday was nice, with good service, good drinks and aquavit (I think the dill is best) and fine food. The beet buttermilk soup was great. The schnitzel and pierogi were good, but made better with some salt. It did seem that all the food needed some salt at the table, so maybe they are consciously trying to keep it low, figuring people can add more.

A lovely, unique place in DC whose existence makes me happy.

Somehow I missed that fact that W Domku is just a few blocks away from Qualia, a fact that's going to play havoc with my diet.  Mr. P and I stopped in for a quick bit of brunch while out running errands.  Really loved the latkes with spinach, mushrooms, and poached eggs.  And finally got to try í¦bleskiver.  Nice little place.

• Like 1

I have lived in Petworth for much longer than Domku has been here. I was SOOOOOO happy to see them arrive. I will be so so very sorry to see them leave. While the service has been a continual issue (better lately, but never perfect), I have always loved the food, and I have always loved Kera's fierce dedication to our neighborhood. This is a huge loss.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, saf said:

I have lived in Petworth for much longer than Domku has been here. I was SOOOOOO happy to see them arrive. I will be so so very sorry to see them leave. While the service has been a continual issue (better lately, but never perfect), I have always loved the food, and I have always loved Kera's fierce dedication to our neighborhood. This is a huge loss.

It's a consequence of gentrification, for better or worse (in this case, worse).

Although I haven't been back to Domku in at least a couple of years, I'm going to really miss it - when it opened, it was *the only* place in Petworth, other than a couple of funeral homes.

I'm going to go back one more time for some of their Aquavit, and then I'm going to pay a call on Paul Ruppert - saying goodbye to the old, and hello to the new.

Thank you, Kera.

Just now, DonRocks said:

It's a consequence of gentrification, for better or worse (in this case, worse).

Although I haven't been back to Domku in at least a couple of years, I'm going to really miss it - when it opened, it was *the only* place in Petworth, other than a couple of funeral homes.

It is. And she helped bring the new folks in the neighborhood around to the idea that there might be a place to eat in the neighborhood other than the Hitching Post (which most of the new folks were scared of).

Kera also helped bring about the Petworth Farm Market, the Upshur Street Arts Fair, and much more. 

We did have some stuff other than the Hitching Post- some good carryouts. Otherwise, yes, it was up or down to other places (there wasn't much sideways.) But people coming in and investing in the neighborhood, well, that made a lot of us happy. And now....

Farewell, Domku. You were *the* original trailblazer in Petworth - when you opened, it was a sketchy neighborhood to walk around in after dark, everything accentuated by the nearby funeral homes. And no, I'm not being suburban-paranoid; it was an area with a genuinely dicey feel, and it was a gutsy move opening that restaurant.

And I'll miss your aquavit - you were the first, you were the best. 

Retired in Italics in the Dining Guide, and deservedly so.

Screenshot 2016-07-03 at 10.54.56.png

(Does anyone know when they dropped the "W" from W Domku?)

She gave up on the W about 5 years ago. Nobody ever remembered it.

I spent last Saturday at the farewell party.

I was here before she opened. I am still here. And I miss her and that place where so many of my neighbors spent so much time together. What a loss for us all.

Oh, Don, we came home with some of that aquavit....