Vivi Pizza Roma (Formerly Bakers and Barristas, Formerly Tangysweet), Founder Aaron Gordon Switches To An Independent Coffee House with Pastry Chef Lindsay Meehan

Drove past this place last night and this morning Daily Candy had an email about it. I'm excited to try it as I've enjoyed Pinkberry and Red Mango when I've been up in NY.

Are you sure it's actually open today? Their website says their grand opening is on Friday and sometimes Daily Candy jumps the gun. (I'm asking because I can work a stop there into today's afternoon commute!)

Are you sure it's actually open today? Their website says their grand opening is on Friday and sometimes Daily Candy jumps the gun. (I'm asking because I can work a stop there into today's afternoon commute!)

No, I don't think its open yet (not my edit above) because as you said their website states June 6th. When we drove past last night, sign was up but it looked empty.

They opened last night for a few hours, and will be open today from noon until 11 PM.

Cheers,

Rocks.

They opened last night for a few hours, and will be open today from noon until 11 PM.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Does that mean they will or will not be open on Thursday? Not much of a chance of me walking up there today since the black clouds and rain have set in. Been hearing rumors of possible tornadoes touching down throughout the area. Everyone OK?

Checked it out yesterday - it was refreshing and tasty. Not as good as Pinkberry for me, but I think they're still tinkering with their formula. I liked their Pomegranate flavor and got a swirl with the regular, with berry toppings. Fruit tasted fresh and was solid. I think they're going to do great in this location, and for me it's a welcome addition to Dupont Circle. But not sure I would go way out of my way to get there just yet. Also, the design of the place is pretty cool.

Checked it out yesterday - it was refreshing and tasty. Not as good as Pinkberry for me, but I think they're still tinkering with their formula. I liked their Pomegranate flavor and got a swirl with the regular, with berry toppings. Fruit tasted fresh and was solid. I think they're going to do great in this location, and for me it's a welcome addition to Dupont Circle. But not sure I would go way out of my way to get there just yet. Also, the design of the place is pretty cool.

Today is supposed to be Free Yogurt Friday (according to the owner's mom, who posted on one of the neighborhood listservs).

Today is supposed to be Free Yogurt Friday (according to the owner's mom, who posted on one of the neighborhood listservs).
i did go out of my way on Wednesday to try it. My thoughts were: not as light as Pinkberry; I did not get what I paid for as there was a huge airpocket in the yogurt; their topping choices were meh; the space was too dark (opposite of pinkberry or other fro yo locations)...

Regardless, it will do well. Good location.

Any intel on what time they'll be dishing it out?

This search found a mention of noon to 5: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls...amp;btnG=Search

But neither the live or cached versions of those links reveals the actual text.

DCist just put up an article about it, only saying the freebies start at 11 am: http://dcist.com/2008/06/06/first_look_tang.php

highly disappointed that this place closed early on opening night - ran out of frozen yogurt.
Oops... guess having a free full size give away on opening day which ended up being advertised around cyberworld might have been more than they could handle. Though I was disappointed in my first visit, I am sure I will be back because (a) location and (:lol: owner and GM really want this to work. So I hope you'll give them another chance.

highly disappointed that this place closed early on opening night - ran out of frozen yogurt.
Probably hard to gauge when dishing out free yogurt! I stopped by yesterday and had a small sample of each flavor. (eta a belated Welcome!)

Pom--very tart, but tasty. I'm not sure if I'd like a full serving of it or not...maybe with some sweet fruit on top. I'd have to figure out the right combo to complement it.

Original--I expected something along the vanilla variety, but sensed a citrus flavor. Very refreshing, lemony, not as tart as the Pom. This was my favorite and I would definitely get it again.

Green Tea--Now I am a lover of green tea ice cream, and was hoping for something resembling that flavor. (like the green tea yogurt at TG's--I like the Macha Green tea) This tasted more like they added something to the original flavor that must've been green tea, but not macha. I tasted the lemony undertones. Maybe this is what the commercial drinks that are green tea with lemon taste like, but I avoid those as I don't prefer my tea with lemon. Obviously, not my cuppa tea. :lol:

i did go out of my way on Wednesday to try it. My thoughts were: not as light as Pinkberry; I did not get what I paid for as there was a huge airpocket in the yogurt; their topping choices were meh; the space was too dark (opposite of pinkberry or other fro yo locations)...
Sorry, I just think you're being a bit harsh and unfair.

The space is downstairs, like an English Basement. Probably difficult to get a bright location in those circumstances. And I have tried Iceberry, but not Pinkberry, but do not think it fair to expect that their store be the same as another. It's difficult to design for an area that has no natural light, and it probably is darker than they expected, but so what? You generally are in and out in a store like this, not lingering for hours. Also, if you had an air pocket, why didn't you go back to the "scoopers" and let them know? They were nice enough; I'm sure they would have topped off your serving. And the toppings I saw appeared similar to what Iceberry offered. The fruits looked fresh and plump. As I didn't try any fruit, I can't comment on flavor, but what did you find "meh" about them? What did you expect?

Sorry, I just think you're being a bit harsh and unfair.

The space is downstairs, like an English Basement. Probably difficult to get a bright location in those circumstances. And I have tried Iceberry, but not Pinkberry, but do not think it fair to expect that their store be the same as another. It's difficult to design for an area that has no natural light, and it probably is darker than they expected, but so what? You generally are in and out in a store like this, not lingering for hours. Also, if you had an air pocket, why didn't you go back to the "scoopers" and let them know? They were nice enough; I'm sure they would have topped off your serving. And the toppings I saw appeared similar to what Iceberry offered. The fruits looked fresh and plump. As I didn't try any fruit, I can't comment on flavor, but what did you find "meh" about them? What did you expect?

Ah... I have had the pleasure of trying the new fangled yogurt crazes in New York and Atlanta at multiple places not just Pinkberry (Red Mango, the 16 different places in Atlanta :lol: ) so I expected something in line with one of them. Perhaps I should not have named Pinkberry by name. I do think it is fair to compare though especially when someone up thread commented that the website seems to be a knock off of a competitor. Pinkberry was first in the New York market so they set the standard for other vendors.

Last week in New York I went to a Red Mango in the Village that had a gorgeous patio! In New York no less. I was blown away. It was also across the street from a Pinkberry. Competition thrives, both stores are inviting.

I did have the fruit and it was fine. I think it was the presentation that was off putting. I am telling you it was dark when I was in the space and nothing looked that inviting.

Again I look forward to going back even if it is not as good as a New York shop because it is here! Heck, I'll probably go today but it is what it is.

p.s. can't compare to the Atlanta trend because in Atlanta there is both the Asian yogurt craze and this yummy Italian yogurt thing happening simultaneously.

Stop by yesterday to beat the heat. The space is kind of a funky cave atmosphere - different, not bad, just different. There was a long line to the door and people seemed to really like it especially the "healthiness" since most got berries and granola as toppings as opposed to the chocolate chips. Once I got to the front of the line I had a taste of the pomegranate since I'm a big fan of poms, and I quickly thanked them for the taste and left. It was not my cup of tea, because unlike the fro yo of my memory (ICBY, Columbo, and TCBY) that tasted like soft serve ice cream, the Tangysweet tasted tangy, really tangy like yogurt in soft serve form. Now I like yogurt and I know this may sound silly, but don't go if you are expecting old school fro yo, this is not artificial, but real yogurt in soft frozen form. Personally I'll save my yogurt for breakfast and smoothies and stick to ice cream for dessert. So try it for yourself and see, but don't be surprised like me.

the Tangysweet tasted tangy, really tangy like yogurt in soft serve form

I agree. Went here yesterday with my intern and some coworkers. I'm a big fan of Frogurt and really enjoy my long walks to Georgetown to grab some of the frozen yogurt at sweet green, which is tangy, but not overly so, but I was put a back by the flavor of Tangy Sweet's version. I also found it to be really too tangy. The co-workers agreed.

Ahh... see I have been back to Tangysweet since my first visit and they have added more lights! It does not feel as dark as it did when I first visited. Additionally, I noticed they now have a scale to weigh the cups to make sure you get the right amount.

But the real success is the yogurt... it is heavier than the PinkBerry version but it is yummy. I even had it without toppings and was very happy on a hot summer day.

Also, for those experiencing tangy yogurt for the first time, I suggest giving it another shot. The first time I had it I hated it. I ended up back at a PinkBerry on a later visit and gave it another try.

I walked over last week at lunch (Thurs I think it was) around 1ish and there were only a few others in the store. Had another sample of the green tea, as the man behind the counter said they added more tea due to customer response. He said many people aren't used to the tanginess, but FWIW, I have no problem with the tangy flavor as I prefer salted lassies to the sweet ones. It is better, but still not enough tea flavor for me. I loved the original flavor, however. It was quite refreshing on my walk back to work in 90+ degree weather.

Now I like yogurt and I know this may sound silly, but don't go if you are expecting old school fro yo, this is not artificial, but real yogurt in soft frozen form. Personally I'll save my yogurt for breakfast and smoothies and stick to ice cream for dessert. So try it for yourself and see, but don't be surprised like me.
This pretty much hits the nail on the head. When we went last week, I think txaggie's quote was "When I want frozen yogurt, I don't actually want frozen yogurt. I want fake ice-cream." I chuckled about that, but I actually liked the frozen yogurt here-- thought it was very refreshing. Only issue for me was that the pomegranate flavor was too mild (if blindfolded, I would have had a hard time telling you I was eating something pomegranate flavored).

Just stopped by for the first time with DS (19mos old now!) for a small treat. Got a 5oz Original Well-dressed (3 toppings included - we picked mangoes, banana, and strawberries) that set me back $4.75 (with tax). Was a good sized portion to split with the little one for a lite snack and he enjoyed the tangy taste very much. I think I prefer it just a bit tangier, but the Original flavor was smooth overall w/o a tangy aftertaste to it.

Not keen on only 3 sit-down tables, although they had about 4 bar-like little wall tables w/o chairs. Had to wait at one of those bar-like tables holding a very heavy toddler while trying to feed him yogurt and hoping for a table to open up, since no one got up. Eventually 2 opened up about a few minutes after, but I felt like I got a good weight-lifting session in during the wait. :lol:

For 1pm traffic, there were about 3 people that bought yogurt/smoothies before me and a good 5 people afterwards, so there's a steady stream of business. But it seems like they're still working out service, as only 1 person is putting on the topping and the cashier kept asking him if he "was doing alright." Not sure if he thought the toppings/yogurt guy was slow or not, but just a mere observation on little kinks to work out?

I've been twice now, in four days. I'm a believer. I never liked the frozen yogurt craze of the 80s, fake ice cream that, to my taste, was always too sweet and never satisfying. But this frozen yogurt, that actually tastes like yogurt? Delicious. A refreshing alternative to ice cream when I want something cold and refreshing, but don't want something as creamy or decadent as ice cream.

Haven't tried the green tea flavor, but I agree with cjsadler that the pomegranate flavor could use more pomegranate. The classic, topped with mango and strawberry, though? A perfect treat on a hot summer day.

Haven't tried the green tea flavor, but I agree with cjsadler that the pomegranate flavor could use more pomegranate. The classic, topped with mango and strawberry, though? A perfect treat on a hot summer day.

After watching D.C. United thrash the L.A. Beckhams, we were looking to cool down (not a big fan of noon start times). My friends insisted on empanadas at Julia's instead of the Euro 2008 final. As a compromise, we walked here afterwards and the place was mostly empty to our surprise -- I mean, it was a hot and muggy Sunday afternoon! Thankfully, the pomegranate with mango topping totally hit the spot. We concluded that Tangysweet was definitely better than Shilla (both locations) but still a slight step below Pinkberry, which provides the right level of creaminess in our view.

They had chocolate yogurt last night in addition to classic, green tea, and pomegranate. I had a taste, but I didn't like chocolate and tangy together so I got my usual classic.

I think of Tangysweet the same way I think of Atlantic City - I'm glad I don't live any closer or I'd be there all the time. A small cup of chocolate ($2.50) is quite tangy, and really benefits from adding the thin slices of toasted almond (95 cents). This is the first time I've gotten only a single topping, and it seemed like they added almost as much as when I order three.

Cheers,

Rocks.

There's a Tangysweet coming to 675 E St. in Penn Quarter in early December (see comments) where Juan Valdez used to be.

In today's Wash Post's cupcake article, it says, "Before the end of the year...Red Velvet Cupcakery, sister to Dupont Circle's TangySweet, will open in Penn Quarter."

I wonder if this means they're going to have both fads in one store. :lol:

Penn Quarter Living post today says that the new Tangysweet on 7th street is giving out free frozen yogurt this afternoon.
Tis true. They sent out a message on Facebook. :P Open from 11-1. Having this a block from my office is going to be disastrous.

Penn Quarter Living post today says that the new Tangysweet on 7th street is giving out free frozen yogurt this afternoon.
Make that until its 11pm closing time, per synaesthesia's posting on DCist.com. At 10:34pm, the line was yaaaaaaaaaaay long (see below), with more coming in, and roughly 12-15 people sitting at the various seating areas (I think at the quick glance, there were about 6 tables). The space is much bigger and less futuristically modern compared to its Dupont location. Fun times. Red Velvet Cupcakery, in comparison, was empty, until I popped in next door to purchase a few cupcakes to sample. The neat design thing is they share the same space, so someone can pop into Tangysweet to assist a customer and then pop back into Red Velvet for its customers. Well, it's neat to me. :P

post-2127-1231475031_thumb.jpg

Red Velvet Cupcakery, in comparison, was empty, until I popped in next door to purchase a few cupcakes to sample.
Do the other new cupcake joints charge $3.25 a pop? If not, the high prices might not help business here. That said, it was far from empty on my walk back from lunch today. If they can get away with charging $3.25 a pop, there's no wonder why cupcake joints keep opening up.

Do the other new cupcake joints charge $3.25 a pop? If not, the high prices might not help business here. That said, it was far from empty on my walk back from lunch today. If they can get away with charging $3.25 a pop, there's no wonder why cupcake joints keep opening up.

Not next Thursday . . . WaPo GOG says they are giving out free cupcakes on 1/15 to the first 500 customers

The Red Velvet space SUCKS. I don't really quite know what else to say. It's reminds me of going to a Chinese restaurant and the small narrow entryway and the takeout counter without the remainder of the restaurant mixed with a High's convenience store. I mean I know it shouldn't take a ton of space, but there really isn't anywhere to sit. I don't know if the idea is to then go to Tangysweet, but this just seemed lame compared to Hello Cupcake (the only other cupcakery I've been to).

But the cupcake we had was pretty good - peanut butter frosting with chocolate cake. I love peanut butter and the frosting was only a smidge ETA: "too" sweet, unlike many others I've encountered, and the cake was nice and moist. I thought it was better than Hello's PB chocolate cupcake.

The Red Velvet space SUCKS. I don't really quite know what else to say. It's reminds me of going to a Chinese restaurant and the small narrow entryway and the takeout counter without the remainder of the restaurant mixed with a High's convenience store. I mean I know it shouldn't take a ton of space, but there really isn't anywhere to sit. I don't know if the idea is to then go to Tangysweet, but this just seemed lame compared to Hello Cupcake (the only other cupcakery I've been to).

But the cupcake we had was pretty good - peanut butter frosting with chocolate cake. I love peanut butter and the frosting was only a smidge ETA: "too" sweet, unlike many others I've encountered, and the cake was nice and moist. I thought it was better than Hello's PB chocolate cupcake.

I went there the day after inauguration, got a red velvet cupcake which was good and not great, then enjoyed it sitting next door, where there was plenty of room. I think there was a sign on the door telling customers to do as much.

Besides, it sounds like you've never been to Georgetown Cupcake - talk about no room! Although it is more attractive looking inside and there is one small table with about 3 chairs.

In the past two days that I've accompanied my coworker to get frozen yogurt at Tangysweet at the Penn Quarter location, it's been really busy. The fact that it's near the Crime & Punishment museum during peak tourist season means long lines and many tourists. Each day has been about a good 5mins wait before getting to the front of the line around 3pm. Their current feature flavor is Pomegranite and current flavors are: classic, pink guava, mango peach, green tea and blackberry.

Stopped by Red Velvet Cupcakery last night for the first time... it was around 9:45 or so, and the guy working there was clearly ready to go home - despite the sign that said they were open til 11. The cupcakes were in complete disarray, with no signs that indicated what they were, and when I asked him what the flavors were, he asked me just to point to the one that looked most interesting to me, and he would tell me what that was. In the amount of time it took him to debate with me about whether or not he could or should tell me what flavors of cupcakes were available, he could've just ... um ... told me.

I probably should've left at that point but I convinced him to do his job, and after he described the flavors available I chose a devil's food cupcake. The cake itself was tasty, but the frosting was sickeningly sweet. And it was significantly smaller than the cupcakes available at some other cupcake spots in town.

Between the attitude, super-sweet frosting, and teeny-tinyness of the dessert, I was pretty disappointed. Should've just gotten Tangysweet instead.

Stopped by Red Velvet Cupcakery last night for the first time... it was around 9:45 or so, and the guy working there was clearly ready to go home - despite the sign that said they were open til 11. The cupcakes were in complete disarray, with no signs that indicated what they were, and when I asked him what the flavors were, he asked me just to point to the one that looked most interesting to me, and he would tell me what that was. In the amount of time it took him to debate with me about whether or not he could or should tell me what flavors of cupcakes were available, he could've just ... um ... told me.

I probably should've left at that point but I convinced him to do his job, and after he described the flavors available I chose a devil's food cupcake. The cake itself was tasty, but the frosting was sickeningly sweet. And it was significantly smaller than the cupcakes available at some other cupcake spots in town.

Between the attitude, super-sweet frosting, and teeny-tinyness of the dessert, I was pretty disappointed. Should've just gotten Tangysweet instead.

Its funny that your frosting was too sweet. i was there around 10 a week or 2 ago, and though the cupcakes were in dissaray, there were little signs indicating each flavor. i had a chocolate cupcake with ganache frosting. the frosting was clearly made with good-quality chocolate, my only quibble was that I would have liked it to be sweeter! in fact, i reccomended it to a friend who finds most cupcake frosting too sweet.

Aaron Gordon is turning Tangysweet in Penn Quarter into Bakers & Baristas so there are no more Tangysweets in the area (via Washington Business Journal).  Bakers & Baristas is opening on Jan. 21 (via UrbanDaddy).

From the WBJ article linked to above:

"In thinking about a new concept, Gordon looked around the immediate neighborhood and saw only chain coffee shops."

I'm not much familiar with Aaron Gordon. And, never stepped foot into a tangysweet simply because fro-yo isn't one of the trends that captivated me.

That said, I do very much like good coffee and have posted on local shops and joe more broadly here a few times.

The plans for the baked goods sound interesting. But, I always get nervous to hear about an entrepreneur entranced by a "concept" versus really impassioned by whatever food or drink on offer.

And, the very "immediate neighborhood" does have Chinatown Coffee. They typically have Heart Roasters (Portland, OR and one of the country's best). Maybe he only looked west on H from the Gallery Place metro station and up and down 7th? Then he'd have missed CC, just a block east on H. Then there is a The Coffee Bar at 12th and S; one of the area's top 3 or 4 shops. Then, of course, 14th has half a dozen indies.

Yeah, "too many Starbucks" and a new concept. But, the more independents the better in my book so long as they don't cheapen the "concept" or come across as overly crass or commercial.

With apologies for the skepticism. Of course will eagerly try it and rave or pan with the utmost objectivity.