Rock Out of Stone Age

ukr50

Why isn’t rockwell.com connected to twitter yet? I’m sure at least some people on the site use it, those that never heard of it, I’m proud to be taking your virginity-it’s a social microblogging site that lets you post comments from your phone and be connected to others.

What a better way to express your opinion about the food while you are still at the restaurant (that should spice things up). Twitter is not even a nerdy futuristic toy anymore-it’s here. The question is: how soon will we catch up. Rockwell can set up the configuration through Chirrup: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/integ...omments_int.php or many other applications: http://twitter.pbwiki.com/Apps

It’s a democracy and we shouldn’t wait for Rockwell to decide on Twittering or not. Do we want it on this site? Let’s hear it.

P.S. Twitter is not paying me for this (even with sexual favors…. Damn)

Why isn’t rockwell.com connected to twitter yet? I’m sure at least some people on the site use it, those that never heard of it, I’m proud to be taking your virginity-it’s a social microblogging site that lets you post comments from your phone and be connected to others.

What a better way to express your opinion about the food while you are still at the restaurant (that should spice things up). Twitter is not even a nerdy futuristic toy anymore-it’s here. The question is: how soon will we catch up. Rockwell can set up the configuration through Chirrup: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/integ...omments_int.php or many other applications: http://twitter.pbwiki.com/Apps

It’s a democracy and we shouldn’t wait for Rockwell to decide on Twittering or not. Do we want it on this site? Let’s hear it.

Cool! Now restaurateurs can quickly make amends to any negative comments in real time. No need to wait until the next day and read the bashing. :lol:

I like the stone age. Plus, I don't think that there is really any advantage to being able to critique a dining experience while still eating it. Evaluating dining experiences, are best after they have had time to digest.

And I am not sure how you would think that this a democracy, more like a community policed by a benevolent dictator, and his merry band of minions.

Given the sheer number of technical problems Twitter has had lately I've found it harder and harder for me to be bothered to keep up with it, myself.

There's nothing more frustrating than wanting to use it and just getting page after page of "Uh, come back later" errors.

I like the stone age. Plus, I don't think that there is really any advantage to being able to critique a dining experience while still eating it. Evaluating dining experiences, are best after they have had time to digest.

And I am not sure how you would think that this a democracy, more like a community policed by a benevolent dictator, and his merry band of minions.

If the benevolent dictator listens to the majority and rules accordingly, that would be pretty darn close to democracy. Also there's such a thing as a forgetting curve: humans forget 80% of things within 5 minutes. Twitter that...

If the benevolent dictator listens to the majority and rules accordingly, that would be pretty darn close to democracy. Also there's such a thing as a forgetting curve: humans forget 80% of things within 5 minutes. Twitter that...

I think that you would have a hard time convincing 1239 members to follow your suggestion, especially since your very first post on this site was a bomb throw like this.

As for the 80% we forget, those facts/events/whatever are generally no salient to your over-all impression of a meal or whatever the hell you are doing. So please go ahead and Twitter your latest impressions of your lunch at TGI McTchotchke’s to Yelp! or whatever forum is way cooler and hipper than we are.

I think that you would have a hard time convincing 1239 members to follow your suggestion, especially since your very first post on this site was a bomb throw like this.

As for the 80% we forget, those facts/events/whatever are generally no salient to your over-all impression of a meal or whatever the hell you are doing. So please go ahead and Twitter your latest impressions of your lunch at TGI McTchotchke’s to Yelp! or whatever forum is way cooler and hipper than we are.

Fine, i'll put you down as a definite NO. Should the rest of us have the option?

Fine, i'll put you down as a definite NO. Should the rest of us have the option?
I don't see myself using (I feel self-conscious writing my meal thoughts down in a notebook yet alone a cellphone), but definitely see the appeal. I VOTE YES ON PROP 50.

You'll want to take it down a notch, though. Sthitch has been posting here a lot longer than you have. :lol:

Welcome to the boards!

What's this "us"? You've never even posted here before now. Tell us who you're shilling for (badly, as it happens), or go bother someone else.

What's this "us"? You've never even posted here before now.
This is just another thread I am apparently no longer allowed comment in... Like that has stopped me before.

Isn't this service limited to 180 character messages? Hell, there are people here that can use more than that describing what kind of cheese to order on their hell burger.

This is just another thread I am apparently no longer allowed comment in... Like that has stopped me before.

Isn't this service limited to 180 character messages? Hell, there are people here that can use more than that describing what kind of cheese to order on their hell burger.

Amen Sthitch!!

Twittering sucks IMHO. Who the hell cares what I am eating now!!

ETA: Apparently people do as there is a thread devoted to that very topic here.

You may want to check out dcnightliferaw as they are probably more hip to the twitter thing. :lol:

If Rockwell would have paid, he'd have gotten a much better post :lol:

ЧЕЛОВЕКОНЕНАВИСТНИЧЕСТВО!

I'd never heard of Twitter before today, and know nothing about it, but I'm quickly deducing that it's some sort of cellphone thing where you can post to websites - we obviously wouldn't want something like this permeating the entire website, but would there be any harm in having one, single, thread in which people could Twitter? Is it possible to do?

Welcome to the community, ukr50 - it was a nice surprise to find your post. Thanks also for joining us at John's farewell happy hour last Friday, and I'll see you on the court bright and early tomorrow morning. ;)

Cheers,

Rocks.

My understanding of twitter is that it's a way of memorializing on the intertubes your every thought and move. If we twitterized a thread on dr.com it would be made up of thousands of entries like this:

fork 2 dirty... "waiter!"

i cant dcide btwn the samon and the chx

rayz burger... :lol:

waitress hot

hair in soup!

rox sited @ bar

I predict that at some point in the not too distant future, everyday conversation will be reduced to twit-speak.

I predict that at some point in the not too distant future, everyday conversation will be reduced to twit-speak.
There are already too damn many twits (a number of which I have to endure at work every day). I managed to sit through one whole 8 hour session of Twitter before passing out from abject boredom. Too many people who don't have anything interesting to say insisting on saying it...

Actually, 140.

I use Twitter a lot in times like tonight when keeping track of the drinks at a (uh) a drinkfest like the gin rickey festival.

But it's still unreliable and, well, "twitchy". This is a forum, we have enough twitchy as it is.

And seriously, I honestly thought when I first saw this message "OMGWTFBBQ, lamz0rz". Yes. I think in l33t sometimes. The urge to blast Jake with l33t when I see him (i.e. tonight) gets close, if not quite, to overwhelming sometimes, just for hilarity value.

Too many people who don't have anything interesting to say insisting on saying it...
Isn't that what the internet is all about? :lol:

I can think of something even less interesting: listening to people bitch about new technologies and how it's ruining their lives. The beautiful thing about sites like this one, or Twitter, or Facebook is that you can just ignore it if you don't want to participate.

There are already too damn many twits (a number of which I have to endure at work every day). I managed to sit through one whole 8 hour session of Twitter before passing out from abject boredom. Too many people who don't have anything interesting to say insisting on saying it...

Maybe I don't understand Twitter, but how do you sit through an 8 hour session? :lol:

Maybe I don't understand Twitter, but how do you sit through an 8 hour session? :lol:

Likewise. And should members of this board, who presumably care about food and the culture of the table, really encourage people to text while eating?

Likewise. And should members of this board, who presumably care about food and the culture of the table, really encourage people to text while eating?

You amuse me. I KNEW someone would say this!

Response: Only at establishments that accept dr.com membership cards for dining discounts. :lol:

Seriously though, texting should only be done ON THE DRIVE HOME - NOT DURING THE MEAL.

You amuse me. I KNEW someone would say this!

Response: Only at establishments that accept dr.com membership cards for dining discounts. :lol:

Seriously though, texting should only be done ON THE DRIVE HOME - NOT DURING THE MEAL.

I don't know which is worse: texting while eating or texting while driving. Let's call the whole thing off.

The real negative i see with Twitter are their technical difficulties, in June they had quite a few. If the decision is not to have a twitt-thread on donrockwell, THAT should be the reason. All other objections can be overcome: just because you are limited to 140t doesn't mean the content will degrade, and the user is the one who decides to twitt or not to twitt.

I also wanted to suggest BrightKite: allows you to post pictures from your cell phone, but i have a feeling i'll be lynched for it :lol:

you log into twitter and about every 30 or so minutes you look to see what deathless prose has been posted (it doesn't require or need very much attention given the level of discourse). After you read three or four (thousand? It seemed like it) messages saying things similar to...'at work now'...'going 4 kofe' ... etc, you can ignore 99.8%. Unfortunately, (like this message) most of us don't lead very exciting lives and informing people of every non-event in your boring life is only mildly more interesting than their boring lives (once).

you log into twitter and about every 30 or so minutes you look to see what deathless prose has been posted (it doesn't require or need very much attention given the level of discourse). After you read three or four (thousand? It seemed like it) messages saying things similar to...'at work now'...'going 4 kofe' ... etc, you can ignore 99.8%. Unfortunately, (like this message) most of us don't lead very exciting lives and informing people of every non-event in your boring life is only mildly more interesting than their boring lives (once).

But the thing I love about Twittervision is that you can see that people around the world are totally the same -- nobody likes being at work, lots of people take lots of breaks (coffee, cigarette, Twitter) throughout the day, and -- at least the day that I was watching it -- everybody loves BBQ :lol:

That is SO true. Do you know how hard it is to get ketchup out of your Blackberry keyboard?

Believe you me, it's hard to explain to the IT department later, too...

But the thing I love about Twittervision is that you can see that people around the world are totally the same -- nobody likes being at work, lots of people take lots of breaks (coffee, cigarette, Twitter) throughout the day, and -- at least the day that I was watching it -- everybody loves BBQ :lol:
...and so that takes care of all the twittering (lovely word, that one) that you could ever need. (Remember, you're an individual, just like everyone else.) Once you discover that every person elsewhere is just like you only they speak a different language, you can turn the thing off and do something constructive. (and in case you didn't know, I'm not a Luddite. I have all the wonderful tools that you just have to have to be continuously connected in this 99% wired world ... and of course, the one thing that no one has said is that you don't have to participate in this particular brand of hedonism, you can simply ignore it, which it seems most of the world does anyway ;))

... and of course, the one thing that no one has said is that you don't have to participate in this particular brand of hedonism, you can simply ignore it, which it seems most of the world does anyway :o)
I can think of something even less interesting: listening to people bitch about new technologies and how it's ruining their lives. The beautiful thing about sites like this one, or Twitter, or Facebook is that you can just ignore it if you don't want to participate.

Don, I want an update on where you're having dinner every night, and the timing, so that I can make sure I am not on the road anywhere near you. :lol:;)

That is SO true. Do you know how hard it is to get ketchup out of your Blackberry keyboard?
I agree. All I can think of, if I Twitter during dinner, is how much it'll cost to replace my phone because I've dropped into the soup/meal/whatever again. :lol:

I believe it's well estabilshed that I am a Luddite - still no cell phone. Nevertheless I must proclaim that the idea that something (anything!) would lead me to twitter someone/everyone (everyone - G-d forbid!) with my random thoughts is preposterous and makes me shudder with a strong feeling of un - ease. Why would I want to share my twitty thoughts with you? Why would you want to share yours with me?

GAH :lol: It's taking the thought out of thoughtful. :o :

It's clear that I don't "get it"

Why is it better to twit than to text, phone, e-mail or send an engraved invitation? Is it because you can share your feelings with a wider group at one time without effort. Is this really the future way of communicating? Is it a bit like placing a billboard on your own internet super highway? ;). Or just a mind dump to serve as a place holder till you can collect your thoughts for a coherent essay? I just don't want to see something I spewed/twittered come back to haunt me or someone else.

I'm going back under my rock now.

(seriously though for you that twit, I wouldn't mind hearing from you via PM if you think you can give me a reason to come out of the cave, and compel me to get a cell phone of my own)

Thanks for your consideration.

I just don't want to see something I spewed/twittered come back to haunt me or someone else.

Ah, but therein lies the communist plot, and the way out of this corner I have painted myself into. How can I recoup some of my expenses without charging members, accepting advertising, sleeping with the industry, or making a general whore of myself?

The answer, of course: I will charge $50 for each drunken twitter that I am asked to delete.

Restaurant with a view.

Mount Olive Baptist Church in Hampden, Baltimore was struck by lightning and burned down on July 8. I was there 3 days ago, eating at a restaurant right across. By now I forgot the name of the restaurant (had a great beet salad with feta though) but the view was unbeatable. I took this picture with my Blackberry and would’ve posted it on DR that day with all the details. Now, 3 days later I don’t remember. That’s why I suggested connecting DR.com to cell phones (Twitter, BrightKite, Utterz-take a pick)

post-4638-1218112541_thumb.jpg

Restaurant with a view.

Mount Olive Baptist Church in Hampden, Baltimore was struck by lightning and burned down on July 8. I was there 3 days ago, eating at a restaurant right across. By now I forgot the name of the restaurant (had a great beet salad with feta though) but the view was unbeatable. I took this picture with my Blackberry and would’ve posted it on DR that day with all the details. Now, 3 days later I don’t remember. That’s why I suggested connecting DR.com to cell phones (Twitter, BrightKite, Utterz-take a pick)

post-4638-1218112541_thumb.jpg

I guess sending the name to yourself in an email with the crackberry would have been too hard. :lol:

Donning my well-worn cranky old man persona, let me suggest that the problem today is not that there are too few ways to communicate almost instantaneously, but that there are too few filters on the endless streams of pointless content currently generated. Case in point: why is it important for members of a food chat board to instantaneously receive low-quality pictures of a burning church in some distant city, taken from the patio of an establishment of such mediocrity that the photographer has forgotten its name within 72 hours of dining there?

I, for one, am not eager for the inevitable 40-post Twitter-based monologue-review, the first five posts of which are:

"Just got a rez at Joe's! So excited!"

"Pulling into the parkling lot. Jammed."

"At the bar. Couldn't decide which classic cocktail, so just ordered a martini."

"Perfectly chilled! And that Mikey IS a HOTTIE lol!"

"Finally seated. Excellent napkin folding. Need to relight candle...shouldn't have quit smoking lol."

Gentlemen (and ladies), be nice to the lady. Twitter arguably can be a valid technology. Even if it may not work here, it's undeniable we are living in an instantaneous world, where many demand information NOW if not 2 seconds ago. That picture was arguably poetic, even if low-resolution. Where's the romance in you?! :lol:

Yes, similar to Facebook but doesn't allow photos yet. Through Twitter you can send text-based posts of up to 140 characters in length from your phone. It just makes communication real time for those that choose to. Picture updates are available through Uttrez and BrightKite.

I think Waitman got it exactly right. Time is the best editor. With the occasional exception of truly time-sensitive information, if something's not worth the effort of jotting down some notes, or emailing yourself, or leaving yourself a voice mail for later use, and then going back later to generate a coherent message, it's generally not worth bothering other people with.

There seems to be a big push towards a stream-of-consciousness world, where every thought must be shared instantly with everyone you know. Unless your name is James Joyce, I'd much rather hear a carefully considered opinion on a topic you've decided is worth your time and attention.

The Washington Post added a Twitter feed to their Olympic coverage so you can get tweets straight from Beijing. :lol:
A good friend of mine is a cameraman for NBC, and travels frequently with the president. He's been posting regular Twitter updates on this latest swing through Asia. He also records short video segments, frequently about the food they're eating (to make this somewhat topical). He's got a very funny, engaging personality, and is interesting enough to have 9K Twitter followers. That's a pretty good use of social media, IMO.

A good friend of mine is a cameraman for NBC, and travels frequently with the president. He's been posting regular Twitter updates on this latest swing through Asia. He also records short video segments, frequently about the food they're eating (to make this somewhat topical). He's got a very funny, engaging personality, and is interesting enough to have 9K Twitter followers. That's a pretty good use of social media, IMO.

Unfortunately a gazillion other twitters don't have much of anything interesting to say, about food or anything else. I guess blogging does not provide enough immediate satisfaction.

I think Waitman got it exactly right. Time is the best editor. With the occasional exception of truly time-sensitive information, if something's not worth the effort of jotting down some notes, or emailing yourself, or leaving yourself a voice mail for later use, and then going back later to generate a coherent message, it's generally not worth bothering other people with.

There seems to be a big push towards a stream-of-consciousness world, where every thought must be shared instantly with everyone you know. Unless your name is James Joyce, I'd much rather hear a carefully considered opinion on a topic you've decided is worth your time and attention.

I agree with this 100%, people spout off enough even with this format and there's already a where did you dine thread to keep everyone up to date with your dining adventures without having to go into great detail.

I occasionally check out the tweets of a few bloggers I regularly read and the innanity/mundanity is amazing. Honestly it's stupefying. The thought of actually signing up to have this stuff delivered to my computer doorstep :lol:. Still as long as it doesn't get in my way here, go ahead twitter away. I'm crawling back under my rock now.

I agree with this 100%, people spout off enough even with this format and there's already a where did you dine thread to keep everyone up to date with your dining adventures without having to go into great detail.

I occasionally check out the tweets of a few bloggers I regularly read and the innanity/mundanity is amazing. Honestly it's stupefying. The thought of actually signing up to have this stuff delivered to my computer doorstep :lol:. Still as long as it doesn't get in my way here, go ahead twitter away. I'm crawling back under my rock now.

Agree as well, never mind the presumption that something can be improved here based on a first post....at least wait until clam!