The Black Olive, Bond Street in Old Fells Point

Have you been to Trattoria Alberto in the shopping center in Glen Burnie?  I have not but I have the impression that it is similar to the restaurants mentioned above.

Also, although I haven't been for about two years I really liked the Black Olive.

Strange enough, I have been to Trattoria Alberto. It was many moons ago and I recall that I was not impressed. And, the name really reminds me of those old VO-5 commercials. I wonder if they still make that stuff.

The Black Olive is a whole other discussion - it is in Fells Point, not Little Italy. I've been there several times and haven't liked it. The fish was good but I have several problems with the place, some subjective, others less so. First, I don't really like being paraded around to look at the fish on ice to select my dinner. I'm a bit of a hypocrite about eating meat--just give it to me, don't make me finger it. Second, I just don't dig the atmosphere although I haven't been since they expanded. And, most important, I've experienced truly hideously bad service there. I haven't been back since the night that my party of four was left sitting at a table with no water, wine or bread for a crazy long time. Fortunately, we were seated fairly close to where the kitchen was assembling the bread baskets so I reached into the kitchen and helped myself. That would be the one and only time I've ever done something like that in a restaurant. If you are going to keep me waiting, give me wine and bread and I'll be pretty happy. No wine, no bread, no dice.

I can't speak to the other aspects of the place, but going back to pick your own fish is common practice in fish tavernas in Greece. Personally, I loved that part of the dinner, but to each his own. Generally, if you don't want to parade, you can just tell the waiter "I trust you" and give an idea of the size and variety you want, and they'll take care of it.

I can't speak to the other aspects of the place, but going back to pick your own fish is common practice in fish tavernas in Greece.  Personally, I loved that part of the dinner, but to each his own.  Generally, if you don't want to parade, you can just tell the waiter "I trust you" and give an idea of the size and variety you want, and they'll take care of it.

Yea, I'm sure you're right. Like I said, some of it is subjective. And, I know that other people have had good experiences at the Black Olive. I'm sure that I'll lift my moratorium one day and give it another try.

Digging this one out from the depths with yesterday's news....

Woody Harrelson, local banker buy the Inn at the Black Olive in Fells Point

It mostly fits with the actual inn portion, but I figured it's relevant enough for a bump for this eight and a half year old thread.

Dwyer, who also owns Bare Hills Racquet and Fitness Club in North Baltimore, became familiar with the Spiliadis family, which also owns the Black Olive restaurant, through the health foods and beverages they provided gym members, Powell said.

Harrelson's deal does not include the nearby Black Olive restaurant, which the Spiliadis family continues to control.

• Like 1

Digging this one out from the depths with yesterday's news....

Woody Harrelson, local banker buy the Inn at the Black Olive in Fells Point

It mostly fits with the actual inn portion, but I figured it's relevant enough for a bump for this eight and a half year old thread.

Dwyer, who also owns Bare Hills Racquet and Fitness Club in North Baltimore, became familiar with the Spiliadis family, which also owns the Black Olive restaurant, through the health foods and beverages they provided gym members, Powell said.

Harrelson's deal does not include the nearby Black Olive restaurant, which the Spiliadis family continues to control.

RJ Cooper makes a reservation at the Inn at the Black Olive.

• Like 1