Anaheim Chiles

Soup

I love NM Chili Verde. I actually think Anita's does a pretty good one for around here. However, this weekend, I would like to make a pot and I've never made it before. Where can I find Anaheims chili? I would prefer already roasted, chopped and frozen but I will settle for fresh ones and will roast myself or from a can.

Soup

I would prefer already roasted, chopped and frozen but I will settle for fresh ones and will roast myself or from a can.

You won't find fresh frozen roasted chiles around here, but it is easy to do yourself. If you have a gas stove, just lay each chile across the burner and rearrange with a pair of tongs until the skin is blackened all over.* Then put in a plastic bag or a bowl with a plate on top for 15 minutes to steam, then peel, cut off the top and remove the seeds. If you don't have gas, cut the chiles in half and lay on a tray, skin side up use the broil setting in your oven, put the oven rack as close as it will go to the element, and broil the chiles until the skin is browned. Do the same thing with the bag or bowl. Canned chiles don't taste nearly as good.

*A tip I got from watching Alton Brown: I use one of those folding stainless steel steamer inserts as a chile roaster. Lay it on the burner, and lay the chiles on it. It diffuses the flame and blackens the chile skin more evenly.