Happy Go Family Supermarket -- Closed

Soup

Went to eat at A&J and notice a new chinese grocery was now open where Kam Sam used to be. It might actually be called Kam Sam but I didn't look.

It pretty much has the same stuff and layout as the old place. However, the prepared food section has greatly expanded. Still not big as the rockville version but looked much better than what they had. More variety. Unfortunately, I had just stuff myself at A&J so I couldn't pick up a lunch plate.

The whole place seemed clearner and brighter but pretty much the same selection. Am happy to have them back.

Soup

Went today and had the lunch special. $5 choice of 3 items. First the quality is a lot better. The rice was fluffy and just perfect. The sweet pork ribs were good (couldn't tell the difference from Kam Sam). The fried pork (battered, kind of like fried chicken) was just outstanding!!! The string beans were very good. Garlicy with a bit of crunch but still cooked. Will be going back. The cooked snails look intriguing.

I really like the prepared foods at Happy Go. No signs on any of the food, not that it would help since nobody seems to speak English, and thus, I imagine the signs would be in Chinese, but pointing works.

Just say "lunch!" and the attendant will open up a styrofoam sectioned container, put a couple of big scoops of fluffy rice in the main section, and look at you expectantly. Then, just point. You get three toppings.

You get more of the cheaper stuff than the expensive stuff. Lots of mapo tofu. Lots of crispy fried eggplant. Only one lion head meatball. Three or four slices of bitter gourd stuffed with pork and black beans. A big pile of Shanghai bok choi. Just calculate how much the ingredients cost and expect the size of the serving to reflect the cost.

It's real Chinese food, stuff Chinese people eat, and it's amazingly good. Well, amazingly good for steam table food. Actually I have always liked steam table food -- food for the masses. Just food. Immediate gratification, what you see is what you get, no fuss, thank you very much, come again.

I also like the prepared food counter at Great Wall, but that's another post for another time.

Went by happy go market (in the same building as A&J in annandale) yesterday. They had apprently shut down the operation. :-(

It was a great little chinese market with a wonderful food bar. I know a lot of people love the great wall and it is a good store but I will really miss this place. Anyone no what happened?

SOUP