Japanese Beer

JimRice

If you're looking for a "Japanese moment," steer clear of the Sapporo. Even though the can trumpets "Japan's Oldest Brewery," and in big, bold letters says "Imported," if you read the fine print you'll see that the beer is brewed and bottled in ... Ontario, Canada.

Don, I don't think there are any common "Japanese" beers sold in the US that are brewed there anymore. Kirin is brewed by Anheuser-Bush, Asahi and Sapporo in Canada.

Wikipedia says that Orion is brewed in Okinawa. That may be the only one actually imported from Japan.

Don, I don't think there are any common "Japanese" beers sold in the US that are brewed there anymore. Kirin is brewed by Anheuser-Bush, Asahi and Sapporo in Canada.

Wikipedia says that Orion is brewed in Okinawa. That may be the only one actually imported from Japan.

Hitachino Nest beers are also true imports, but I would hardly classify them as "common".

JimRice,

I see this is a super old post but thought I'd weigh in anyway in case you were still wondering...

Over the past few years, there have been many many sake breweries that have hopped onto the craft beer (in Japanese, we call it 'ji biru', or 'local beer') movement to balance the dip in the sake market in the 90s. Some of these beers have become available US market.

We carry about 15 beers from five breweries -- Hitachino, Coedo, Echigo, Oze no Yukidoke, and Ginga Kogen. We also carry Orion, which was only ever a beer brewery.

I've seen that in New York, you can find Yebisu, which is owned by Sapporo and is a line imported directly from Japan. Yebisu existed before Sapporo and then Sapporo bought them out and retained the line. Unfortunately, none of the distributors in this area have access to Yebisu (T_T)......I'd carry it in a heartbeat if I could.