Pho Hong Anh, Aspen Hill - Closed.

Pho Hong Anh--in Aspen Hill, same plaza as the newly expanded Giant, between Conn and GA Aves. I had seen an ad in a flyer that said they were "under new management" so we decided to stop by on Saturday evening, when we needed to find a place to eat fairly quickly with no time to drive to Rockville for Pho 75. The broth here had the same depth and richness as Pho 75 in Rockville, but I don't think they're as generous with the meat portions here (at least not with a small bowl.) That being said, I am always over-stuffed leaving Pho 75, so maybe that's a good thing! The meat was very flavorful as well. This place is a definite to add to our phorotation.

After an awards ceremony this afternoon in Rockville where my FIL was honored a second time for his volunteer work in Montgomery County :lol: the family wanted to go out to dinner. FIL scowled, "I don't want to go out to eat." So knowing his weakness for Pho, I called after him and suggested, "How about Pho?" He stopped, turned, and said with interest, "ahhhhh...where?" And with a smile I bantered back, "How about Aspen Hill?" The grin from ear to ear was a giveaway affirmative answer. (This is one of his new favorite places for Pho.)

So this was my second time back to Pho Hong Anh and I was not disappointed. In fact, the entre family agreed on the quality and flavor of the broth. It was incredibly rich this evening, even more so than our last visit. Definitely topping Pho 75 today. And I solved the issue of too little meat on the small order, by ordering an extra serving of the rare beef.

Don, you'll have to try this place if you haven't been in a while. On the one hand I do wish I had a reason to cross the river to Annandale to compare, but on the other, why bother if I'm happy with what I've got?!

I had a pretty crummy bowl of Pho at Pho Saigon, which sits prominently near an entrance to Eden Center on Wilson Blvd, and has a Grand Opening sign up (they've actually been open about two months). To put it in perspective: When I list my weekly highlights next Monday, this restaurant's entry will be the iced coffee with condensed milk, not the pho.

On the other hand, Pho 88 in Beltsville is absolutely fantastic. Awhile back, I thought Pho 75, Pho 50, and Pho Tay Ho were about the best around, but from my recent experiences, both Pho 88 and Pho Hot in Annandale are better still - these two rule the roost, or at least they rule MY roost. I'd be curious to hear opinions from people who have tried both (note that the very ordinary Pho 88 in Falls Church is unrelated to the one in Beltsville).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Hey Don, I challenged you upthread to go to Pho Hong Anh...have you been yet? My last visit was even better than before, and rivals Pho 75 in Rockville. I've been to Pho 88 and I'd rate that a distant third.

Must be a new chef at Pho Hiep Hoa in SS as the broth was a fair bit better than the usual. It's still expensive for a bowl of pho, but it's what I have.

Squids,

Where in Aspen Hill?

Same plaza where the Silver Fountain used to be....and for those who aren't familiar with that landmark, it is the newly expanded Giant Shopping Center at Connecticut Ave and Aspen Hill Rds. Someone told me that Silver Fountain is now called something else, and moved a few doors down, and that the Pho place is where the Silver Fountain restaurant actually used to be. In most recent memory, the spot was occupied by a sushi/japanese restaurant.

I haven't been to Pho Hiep Hoa in awhile, but maybe will have to try it again. Almost made it there this weekend before seeing Wall-E but we ran out of time.

ETA: Pho Hong Anh has that herb everyone likes (except me :lol: ) Is it called sawtooth, or something like that?

I searced and don't see a thread on this joint, but I found out about it on the Pho thread. Having just fallen in love with Pho Hot on my second visit, am I fickle or bigamous to announce my new love affair with this spot? The broth is even better than Pho Hot's: richly flavored without the richness of ovre reduction which, in my mind, is not proper Pho other street food soups. The broth must be brothy light and yet strongly flavored. I also got a nice amount of sawtooth herb. The service is friendly and fast. The summer rolls are fine if not spectacular, but a large number 1 and a small chicken were both sublime (on consecutive days and not at one sitting). WHile I forsee a Pho Hot run on my way to restaurant Depot, Pho Hong Anh is my new true love!

Tried Pho Hong Anh this evening. I don't know if it was simply an off-night, but it didn't hold a candle to Pho Hot, or even Pho 75. The broth was wan (almost as if there were no beef or star anise in it), the beef fairly tasteless; the Chang Muoi way too syrupy.

Hard to believe this is the place Dean was raving about. Something doesn't make sense.

Put me down in the Pho Hong Anh camp with Pho Hot a fairly close second. Thanks to SquidsDC for the life changing suggestion. I would never have thought to try it otherwise.

click

Hey Don, I challenged you upthread to go to Pho Hong Anh...have you been yet?

I finally made it to Pho Hong Anh, and tried two different beef-based (#1 and #4) and one chicken Pho (#14). Two things about the broth stood out: There was a fair amount of fat pooled on top, and there was a persistent undertone of citrus (undoubtedly lime, but it tasted lemony). These are neither good nor bad, just a little outside the norm based on my experiences.

Based on this one visit, I can't rave about Pho Hong Anh, but I thought it was a solid rendition of Pho, certainly among the better versions I've tried.

Cheers,

Rocks.