Eat Me

1000yregg

I gotta plug Kenny Shopsin's cookbook: Eat Me- the food and philosophy of Kenny Shopsin, now available on Amazon. It just came out, and he is on Late Night with Conan O'Brien tonight to discuss it.

If you don't know him, he is the owner-cook at Shopsin's now in the Essex St Market in the Lower East Side, NYC- the menu is amazing- it includes hundreds of items like slutty cakes (pumpkin, peanut butter, pistachio, cinnamon pancakes), the diego (poached eggs over poutine), and hatch chile sloppy joe sliders. Plus he's an amazing person to talk to- opinionated and stubborn like the way new yorkers should be.

There's even a documentary (albeit a bad one) about him: I like killing flies.

Calvin Trillin wrote a famous profile of Shopsin's for the New Yorker that is in Secret Ingredients- The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink. I never ate at Shopsin's when I lived in the Village, but I have a friend who lives around the corner from the Essex Market who refuses to eat at the new Shopsin's because, in her words, "the old Shopsin's was the filthiest most disgusting restaurant I have ever been in." (My friend and her sisters own a restaurant on Clinton Street.)