Pisco Sour Tonight

hillvalley

I can't think of a single reason why egg whites would effect alcohol metabolism except that perhaps the protein content would slow the digestion process. This string made me think of an article I read years ago that suggested that soy products might prevent hangovers in rats:

Soymilk products affect ethanol absorption and metabolism in rats during acute and chronic ethanol intake.Kano M, Ishikawa F, Matsubara S, Kikuchi-Hayakawa H, Shimakawa Y.

Yakult Central Institute for Microbiological Research, Yaho 1796, Kunitachi, Tokyo 186-8650, Japan. mitsuyoshi-kano@yakult.co.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/132/2/238

That's because after three drinks (and SIX glasses of water) you're full and can't drink any more...

He's right.

Oh man, I hate the old "drink water to sober up routine". Water doesn't do much for you the night of, except keep you from being thirsty which keeps you from drinking anything in front of you faster.

As far as egg whites in a cocktail preventing hangovers...it's never worked for me.

He's right.

Oh man, I hate the old "drink water to sober up routine". Water doesn't do much for you the night of, except keep you from being thirsty which keeps you from drinking anything in front of you faster.

As far as egg whites in a cocktail preventing hangovers...it's never worked for me.

Well, for me at least, staying properly hydrated whilst imbibing alcohol helps me feel a whole lot better the next morning.

When I was younger and a little more stupid than I am right now, a kind-hearted girlfriend forced a LOT of water into me when I was experiencing one of the most over-the-top drunken episodes of my life. The next morning, I awakened with my head clear as a bell - absolutely no ill effects or hangover.

I try to remember to always order water when out on the town. It couldn't hurt. The worst that can happen is, I just have to hit the men's room more frequently.