Healthy Drinks?

BBG had an cooking class with PS 7's restaurant back in October. The class featured three courses and cocktails, as well as hands-on with Peter Smith in the kitchen. One of the cocktails featured was called a Faux Naturelle, made with green tea (see the recipe below).

Part of the appeal is the green tea, which might convince someone that the drink is healthy, which it's not necessarily. While I'm sure others have had this discussion, is there any health benefit to the mixers in cocktails once you add the alcohol and all?

* 2 oz Gin

* 1 oz. Honey Sweetened Green Tea

* Splash of Simple Syrup

* Lime to taste

For the cold version: Add gin, green tea, simple syrup to a shaker over ice. Squeeze lime in to shaker and shake it like you mean it. In a chilled cocktail glass, add a thinly sliced wheel of orange, twisted like a pinwheel. Strain into cocktail; the orange should unfold like the petals of a flower.

For the hot version: Add gin, simple syrup, and honey into a mug. Prepare green tea to taste separately. Pour steeped green tea into mug. Add lime to taste.

BBG had an cooking class with PS 7's restaurant back in October. The class featured three courses and cocktails, as well as hands-on with Peter Smith in the kitchen. One of the cocktails featured was called a Faux Naturelle, made with green tea (see the recipe below).

Part of the appeal is the green tea, which might convince someone that the drink is healthy, which it's not necessarily. While I'm sure others have had this discussion, is there any health benefit to the mixers in cocktails once you add the alcohol and all?

* 2 oz Gin

* Splash of Simple Syrup

* Lime to taste

For the cold version: Add gin, green tea, simple syrup to a shaker over ice. Squeeze lime in to shaker and shake it like you mean it. In a chilled cocktail glass, add a thinly sliced wheel of orange, twisted like a pinwheel. Strain into cocktail; the orange should unfold like the petals of a flower.

For the hot version: Add gin, simple syrup, and honey into a mug. Prepare green tea to taste separately. Pour steeped green tea into mug. Add lime to taste.

The mixers don't negate the health benefits. The Vitamin C in OJ is still there once it is mixed with vodka. The bigger "health" issue is that once you mix everything together, you compound the calories (the drink above with 80 proof Gin is about 150 calories). But I don't think many people have a cocktail for the health benefits. Although, I do think there are many people out there who think about the calories in their drinks. Better to try to get a woman drunk by telling her the drink is low cal, than healthy.

While I'm sure others have had this discussion, is there any health benefit to the mixers in cocktails once you add the alcohol and all?

Well, I drink gin & tonic, and I haven't had malaria in years.

Mmusiker, better still to drink with someone who actually wants to.

* 2 oz Gin

* Splash of Simple Syrup

* Lime to taste

I highly doubt that 1 oz. of green tea, whether alone or mixed in a cocktail, has much health benefit to begin with. Also, all that sugar- in the honey and the simple syrup- is highly caloric... plus the gin? Sugar high. Then crash.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

The mixers don't negate the health benefits. The Vitamin C in OJ is still there once it is mixed with vodka.
Actually, I think it depends. For instance, grapefruit and some other juices can affect the efficacy of some medications. I imagine that in some cases some things, antioxidants, vitamins, etc. can be affected by some other things in the mixers.