Guadalajara

Al Dente

I'll be spending Christmas in Mexico this year. Aside from the occasional sordid foray into a border town or two, I've never been to Mexico.

Where would you eat in Guadalajara and San Miguel Allende?

edited to add: yes, I'm aware that Guadalajara won't do, so keep your Steely Dan references to yourself. :lol:

Holy crap! What a post!

Thanks for all that info. I feel like my entire trip is planned now. This trip has been sort of thrust upon me, so I haven't done any of my usual pre-vacation research. I'll have to look up Morelia and let you know!

Thanks again, and please keep posting on the site!

Al aka Mike

Yeah I have to say ... when you posted requesting help on Guadalajara, I was thinking ... "probably not going to happen."

Thank you Cristina! And welcome! :lol:

Cheers,

Rocks.

I'll bet Google Maps saw a spike in searches in the DC area for "Morelia, Mexico" tonight...

Holy crap! What a post!

Thanks for all that info. I feel like my entire trip is planned now. This trip has been sort of thrust upon me, so I haven't done any of my usual pre-vacation research. I'll have to look up Morelia and let you know!

Thanks again, and please keep posting on the site!

Al aka Mike

Mike, the regional food in Morelia is exquisite. If it's food you're interested in and not big-haired Texans, then Morelia is a far better destination than San Miguel de Allende. San Miguel pretty much has no regional food. Morelia is 3.5 hours by bus from Guadalajara. It's just lovely here, much more wonderful than San Miguel (not that I am prejudiced, of course).

For a touch of Morelia and its delights, read Mexico Cooks!. Just follow my signature link.

ETA: OMG, I'm a SHRIMP! LOL...

On November 27, the Times (London, England) named Mexico Cooks! the best food blog in the world. Here's the link: London Times

And the Lonely Planet Mexico guide for 2009 printed a sidebar that says, "American-born Cristina Potters is a writer and blogger living in Morelia, Michoacán. Her blog (http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com) is the most compelling and well-informed blog about Mexican food and culture to be found on the web. Cristina writes weekly about food and drink, art, culture and travel."

And Typepad, our blog host, has Mexico Cooks! as its featured blog for the next couple of days: Typepad Featured Blog

We're really thrilled, not to mention big-headed with pride. There's absolutely no living with us right now!

If you ever have the misfortune to find yourself in Guadalajara, try Cocina 88 for some fairly imaginative and well executed cooking.

Jesus Christos this city sucks burro butt... I'd rather be in Newark New Jersey.

Al, Al! In Guadalajara just as in every other city in the world, you really have to know where to go to eat before you sit down at the table. Isn't this board a place for asking, and didn't I answer your questions?

You're right about Cocina 88--it's been great three out of the four times I've been there. The one time it was bad--well, it was just awful. If you'd hit it that night, you would have thought it sucked, too.

And La Trattoria? Please, it's BAD! For Italian in Guadalajara, you want to go to Ma Come No, on Av. de las Américas at the corner of Angulo. Go back and read my list!

If you ever go back there, read my list of recommendations first, or ask again. You won't be disappointed.