Best Place for Truly Ripe Plantains?

collije

I've got volunteered into helping cook for a "Spanish Tapas" themed party this weekend :lol:

Considering making a plantain dish, but wondered if anyone knows a good local source for truly-ripe [i.e. read BLACK or near-black on the outside] plantains? Unsure if this time of year it'll be a challenge...

I've got volunteered into helping cook for a "Spanish Tapas" themed party this weekend :lol:

Considering making a plantain dish, but wondered if anyone knows a good local source for truly-ripe [i.e. read BLACK or near-black on the outside] plantains? Unsure if this time of year it'll be a challenge...

Buy some and just let them sit. If you have until this weekend it should be OK, certainly if you find some that have already turned pretty yellow. BTW they are fairly sweet before they turn completely black. When they are really ripe as you describe they get kinda slimy and a bit hard to handle. IMO.

There's no pattern to where you will find them ripe. It mostly depends on how many the place bought the last time and how quickly they've been selling.

Me, I generally prefer tostones, i.e green ones. For tapas I think you may want to slide a bit toward the savory side and away from sweet anyway.

True. I can always stick 'em in a wrapped up paper bag & expedite it as well. These will be for some sweet dessert-type fried plantains

I'm also doing Tostones, so bought a # of greenies along with some moderately yellow ones from Shoppers.

Thanks!

How Spanish is the theme?

I know curry powder, cous cous, pasta and yogurt are embraced (well, not so much literally) by the French and Italians grow a ton of kiwi fruit these days. Do the chic international set of Barcelona turn to Latin America for innovative tapas?

Disclaimer: I know about chocolate, olive oil and salt on grilled bread. More interested in recent imports from the New World, Asia, et al. No intention of being snarky. Curious.

Hehe, it's a multi-hosted party so I can't go purist.

Really it'll be a Latino/Spanish themed party. Someone had the idea of catering by Jaleo or Rosa Mexicano after enjoying a Sunday night of live Flamenco music/dancing @ Vinoteca [1/2 off Spanish & S. American wine!], myself & a couple of others who cook put the kabosh on that & insisted on cooking :lol:

Speaking of which, Vinoteca's putting out some nice Tapas dishes nowadays.

If you run into a crisis, I bopped into the International Supermarket Progresso, 3158 Mt. Pleasant St., and I can assure you that you can find all the ripe plantains you heart desires. The also sell a quite passable skirt steak suitable for fajitas or -- if you're feeling francophilic -- a little roast garlic/anchovy butter. Not quite Whole Foods quality, but quite tasty at half the price. Ask for the "numero uno" as quality falls off dramatically when you get the number two.