DC Council: Bars May Serve Until 4 AM During Inaugural

Waitman

Under emergency legislation approved by the D.C. Council yesterday, any District establishment with a liquor license, including restaurants and nightclubs, will be allowed to serve alcohol until 5 a.m. -- three hours later than usual -- and serve food round-the-clock from Jan. 17 until the morning after Obama's swearing-in on Jan. 20.

Full story here.

This is described as "once in a lifetime" but I have fond, if vague, memories of closing down the then-new Polly's Cafe long after normal closing time (and after dinner at Jean-Louis and on of the balls) felling very warm and happy with my tuxedo and Job prospects.

Possible hiccups are that noted killjoy Adrian Fenty still has to sign the legislation and the usual community groups are up in arms, so we'll see what happens.

I'm actually in favor of a little more Mardi Gras in DC, though in January it's so cold that I suspect that the whole "show your boobs for cheap trinkets" vibe will be less noticeable.

And, with untold zillions of happy people in town, why not give the bar and restaurant industry (and DC's strained treasury) a chance at a few extra bucks during what would otherwise be a slower time of year? It's our duty to shake those people down.

I'm actually in favor of a little more Mardi Gras in DC, though in January it's so cold that I suspect that the whole "show your boobs for cheap trinkets" vibe will be less noticeable.

And, with untold zillions of happy people in town, why not give the bar and restaurant industry (and DC's strained treasury) a chance at a few extra bucks during what would otherwise be a slower time of year? It's our duty to shake those people down.

I agree that it's our duty to shake these people down. This council decision has inspired a huge email chain among my friends, 99% of whom live in the district. So far opinions seem to be in one of three camps - "we have to deal with suburban a-holes all weekend and now this" (adams morgan / Logan Circle, mostly), "wow, cool, whatever" (all other areas of the city represented), and "sweet! bender!" (also all other areas of the city). Me, I'm just sad to miss it!

I agree that it's our duty to shake these people down. This council decision has inspired a huge email chain among my friends, 99% of whom live in the district. So far opinions seem to be in one of three camps - "we have to deal with suburban a-holes all weekend and now this" (adams morgan / Logan Circle, mostly), "wow, cool, whatever" (all other areas of the city represented), and "sweet! bender!" (also all other areas of the city). Me, I'm just sad to miss it!

Yup, no a-holes live in DC. :lol:

That said, it is an interesting situation. Will the city be able to handle the crowds without much trouble? Will drunk crowds be even more trouble?

Signed,

A Suburban A-hole

That said, it is an interesting situation. Will the city be able to handle the crowds without much trouble? Will drunk crowds be even more trouble?

Signed,

A Suburban A-hole

That's the opinion of some of my friends, not me. Anyway - the pessimist in me says that there's no chance that the city will be able to handle the crowds - much less the clean-up required each day. But, hope springs eternal.

As I will be visiting DC that weekend (my first trip back since moving to Atlanta), I am actually more interested in the possibility of 24-hour food availability. I mean, after drinking till 5 AM, I will need a place to stuff my face and sober up (temporarily).

Here's my question: Just because restaurants/bars are ALLOWED to stay open all night, does that mean they WILL? Or will many establishments just hold to their normal hours, not wanting to staff the extra time and deal with drunk idiots?

Can we get a DR.com list of all the places that will be taking advantage of the occasion? :lol:

If you're not drunk by 2AM, you shouldn't be drunk.

You're starting to sound like a Puritan. :)

Signed,

A Suburban A-hole

As a peace gesture, we're going to make you an honorary resident, but from a less cool neighborhood. Chevy Chase or Michigan Park or something.

And I'll rent you my futon for only $900/night. If you stay out drinking until 5AM, it's very comfortable.

I, too, am wondering how many places will stay open and how many people will stay out. I'm guessing that between the traffic, the cold and the general exhaustion factor, the city's not exactly going to look like Adams-Morgan on a Saturday night (except for Adams-Morgan, that Saturday night).

Signed,

Urban Snob

Interesting that the 'Mardi Gras Method' is proposed ... party up to the big day,

then leftover revelers will be given the "I told you I love you, now get out" treatment.

Forced to listen to random readings from Newt Gingrich's novel 1945, then put on a

bus to Woodbridge.

Urban Nob may come across as a jaded Washington insider, but we all know that he is

planning to party like a minor party functionary liberal Democrat from Lubbock, Texas,

with tickets to the 'Boots and Black Tie Ball' (they have been exiled National Harbor in PG,

but whatever). :lol:

The idea of Washingtonians playing Mardi Gras by exposing themselves and throwing

cheap trinkets to anyone who will watch ... just not right.

Adams-Morgan plans to sell millions of slices of 'Super Slice' pizza, mostly to people who couldn't

get into Ben's Chili Bowl for a half-smoke. And several supertankers worth of crappy beer.

Party on, Garth.

Adams-Morgan plans to sell millions of slices of 'Super Slice' pizza, mostly to people who couldn't

get into Ben's Chili Bowl for a half-smoke. And several supertankers worth of crappy beer.

Party on, Garth.

Dame Edna is feeling particularly giddy because we are moving from an apartment facing Columbia Road to a quieter side of the building this month! Party on, people.

(I told a friend from Texas who's coming for the festivities that the thought of getting the Dame into a tux to party with a bunch of Republicans was just not gonna happen. There are other things I'd rather get him to do than that.)

And I'll rent you my futon for only $900/night. If you stay out drinking until 5AM, it's very comfortable.

I want to rent my downtown studio for 800 /night and have gotten offers. Problem is I don't have another place to crash. However, lend me some space and I'm willing to split the earnings....

Will the city be able to handle the crowds without much trouble? Will drunk crowds be even more trouble?
Considering with premium rates liberal armchair-intellectual visitors are spending on hotel and residential accommodations, they should have no problem posting bail after their fun meters run out. The city’s drunk tanks and jails will not be overwhelmed.

Paranoid fantasy axes of sour political revelry and 1968 crossed more than a generation ago and celebratory riots are usually limited to sports championships.

If you're not drunk by 2AM, you shouldn't be drunk.

Well said, Mr Slater.

With the amount of riff raff in town for that weekend, I think they actually should have moved closing time BACK to 1 AM. I think it could be a potentially disasterous decision to be serving alcohol to people (many of whom will be out-of-towners) for 4 nights while people who are a bit overly excited for this inauguration come to town to raise hell. I still don't understand the thinking behind the alcohol hour extension (I understand the part about food). I think that while it will be a nice boon to some restaurants/clubs, I think it could be a nightmare for DC Metro Police.

Not to be a sour apple martini...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

"Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) objected to including nightclubs in the council's legislation, but he has said he will abide by the council's wishes and sign the law. However, Congress has the final say over District matters under the 1973 Home Rule Act that gave the city some self-governing authority."

Not to be a sour apple martini...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

"Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) objected to including nightclubs in the council's legislation, but he has said he will abide by the council's wishes and sign the law. However, Congress has the final say over District matters under the 1973 Home Rule Act that gave the city some self-governing authority."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Congress would actually have to formally pass legislation (and perhaps have it signed) to overrule this bill. Given other concerns (and recess) it might not be a high priority. Now, if we were counting the votes on a Medical Marijuana bill, that would be a priority.

ETA: Not that it means a damn thing but the on-line poll the Post is running next to the article above is running 57-39% pro late night.

Well said, Mr Slater.

With the amount of riff raff in town for that weekend, I think they actually should have moved closing time BACK to 1 AM. I think it could be a potentially disasterous decision to be serving alcohol to people (many of whom will be out-of-towners) for 4 nights while people who are a bit overly excited for this inauguration come to town to raise hell. I still don't understand the thinking behind the alcohol hour extension (I understand the part about food). I think that while it will be a nice boon to some restaurants/clubs, I think it could be a nightmare for DC Metro Police.

Who is this "riff raff" exactly?

While I understand that some people assume just b/c the bars will be open 2 more hours people are going to be out of control, i don't agree with it at all. I don't even agree with the need to have the bars close by a certain time

(so puritan!). I am happy the bars will be open later and will certainly take advantage of it, lets give the bars, restaurants and clubs a chance to make some money out of this situation. So along with the other "riff raff" I will enjoy a few drinks until 5am without being rushed to finish my drink or surrounded by people trying to get as many shots as possible b/c the bar is closing at 3.

Who is this "riff raff" exactly?
Oliver Twist, Post WWII motorcycle enthusiasts, Wolfman Jack’s pirate radio audience and “The Pharaoh” greasers, stoned out hippie minstrels, unkempt draft dodgers and most recently Caddyshack's Bushwood Country Club golf caddies.
it could be a potentially disastrous decision to be serving alcohol to people (many of whom will be out-of-towners) for 4 nights while people who are a bit overly excited for this inauguration come to town to raise hell.
Their candidate lost and Ceauşescu was deposed almost 20 years ago.

Sour NIMBY quibbles of rabble-rousers and school-night drunks underscores an unprecedented social and political event while highlighting generational disconnect and unsubstantiated fears of fatalistic cocktails during beneficial historical milestones. Those opposed to the extension should be able to retain Matlock with a few bags of Werther’s caramels.