Butcher in Baltimore

doctorwibble

OK, Brit in Baltimore in dire need of recommendations for a good butcher in Baltimore or nearby.

I'm planning on roasting beef on Christmas Day and I have been rather underwhelmed by the look of a lot of the meat at the local supermarkets.

Is the beef from Wegman's any good? What about Whole Foods?

Are there any what I would call "real" butchers who know and care about the meat they sell?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

OK, Brit in Baltimore in dire need of recommendations for a good butcher in Baltimore or nearby.

I'm planning on roasting beef on Christmas Day and I have been rather underwhelmed by the look of a lot of the meat at the local supermarkets.

Is the beef from Wegman's any good? What about Whole Foods?

Are there any what I would call "real" butchers who know and care about the meat they sell?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

I know it can be overpriced but when I was in Baltimore I used to just go to the whole foods down by little italy. It is expensive but you can get things personalized (cut wise) much more than standard grocery stores. Whole foods meat department is usually very accommodating if you ask nicely. The other suggestion I had is a ways out and I can't be very specific because it was a long time ago and I only went there once. There is an awesome butcher in Laurel. I think I actually went there on the suggestion of this board (or maybe it was in a Tom chat or something). Everything was fully customizable as they had the major heavy duty bone saw and large uncut pieces of beef. I can't remember the name or the exact location but I am hoping someone else can help fill in the blanks. The prices were much cheaper than Whole Foods but I also don't remember them having any aged beef if that is what you are into. Whole Foods would be able to help you there.

Oh and I have always found the quality of beef at Whole Foods to be top notch. Even when the budget is tight and I get everything else at Giant, I have always gone to WF for beef and seafood. I know a lot of people love Wegmans but I had 2 bad experiences with their steaks. Very gristly. However the prices were so good last week that I bought a family pack of strip steaks for the freezer. Hopefully third times a charm.

Is the beef from Wegman's any good?
I really enjoyed some of the beef that my family got from the Hunt Valley Wegman's. But I've heard that it has a tendency to vary. I'm not sure if there's anyone at the farmer's market under I-83 that might give you better guidance. They have this listing for Harford County of places you can contact. Hickory Chance sells at the I-83 market. I've never had any personal experiences, but I'm sure that if it's good, and you start to develop a relationship with them you can get things the way you want them.