Weekday Breakfast Spot Wanted

Waitman

Every now and again in an attempt to overcome my many failings as a father, I drive my daughter to school after stopping for breakfast. Sadly, the only breakfast place we know of that it reasonably on the way to school -- we live in Mt. Pleasant and she goes to school in Bladensburg, MD -- is The Diner, in Adams Morgan, which sucks. Is there anyone out there with another idea? We can do any neighborhood east of Rock Creek as well as anything along either New York, Rhode Island or Michigan Avenues. Also Bladensburg, where we can't find a breakfast spot but where the liquor stores are open at 6AM which is tempting on several levels but not an option for petitie dejuner with my daughter.

Is there anything on H Street NE open that early? Billy Goat Tavern is probably too far out of your way, is lousy and doesn't open until 7. Jimmy T's on East Capitol is supposed to open at 6:30 W-F... I don't think I've eaten there in the last 5 years.

I have fond memories of breakfast at a local diner with my mother before school. Good luck finding something!

Might be too far out of the way but Pete's Dinner at 2nd and Penn, NE might be an option? WaPo website says it opens at 5am.
I used to like Pete's for breakfast and sometimes lunch, but I don't think the food is very good anymore. It does have atmosphere, though. I personally prefer the food at the Sizzling Express buffet place down the street, in the 600 block of PA (both places are in SE), but that doesn't open until 6:30.

ETA: Another, smaller buffet place is Cafe Recess, around the corner the corner from Pete's in the 200 block of PA, SE., also open at 6:30.

Ben's does breakfast, as does Florida Avenue Grill. So does Saint's Paradise. Busboys does too.

Domku does breakfast on Thursdays and Fridays, but they don't start early enough any more - think it's 10 AM now.

Moroni does breakfast, although I think it's mostly Salvadoran style. Same for Taqueria Distrito Federal.

There are a couple places in the Florida Ave Market that do breakfast - I haven't done them, but K-Youngs comes recommended.

I'm guessing Market Lunch is too far off the route? (Man, some days, you just have to miss the Little Giant.)

I'm guessing Market Lunch is too far off the route? (Man, some days, you just have to miss the Little Giant.)
That doesn't open until 7 AM. The time is the problem with pretty much anything I can think of. I'm assuming that even 6:30 is too late, though I see that Ben's opens at 6. There's always the 24 hour Denny's, but if he thinks The Diner sucks... :P

Ben's does breakfast, as does Florida Avenue Grill. So does Saint's Paradise. Busboys does too.

Domku does breakfast on Thursdays and Fridays, but they don't start early enough any more - think it's 10 AM now.

Moroni does breakfast, although I think it's mostly Salvadoran style. Same for Taqueria Distrito Federal.

There are a couple places in the Florida Ave Market that do breakfast - I haven't done them, but K-Youngs comes recommended.

Florida Avenue Grill and Busboys -- like a lot of breakfast spots -- open too late. I don't think there are enough blue collar workers in town any more to support places that feed people who have to be on the site by 7AM.

Unlike the rest of the adoring throngs, nothing I've ever eaten at Ben's makes me want to ever go back, but it's probably worth a shot for the breakfast.

I'll have to check out Taqueria when I'm not with my somewhat white bread-palated daughter (10 years in Mt. Pleasant and she won't eat Latin food!). I'm jonesing for some good chilaquiles.

The Florida Avenue Market sounds intriguing and, like Ben's is directly on the route out of town. Thanks for all the tips!

That doesn't open until 7 AM. The time is the problem with pretty much anything I can think of. I'm assuming that even 6:30 is too late, though I see that Ben's opens at 6. There's always the 24 hour Denny's, but if he thinks The Diner sucks... :P

Where is that Denny's? I have a weakness for mass-produced hash browns (think Waffle House).

I can see the caption for the commercial at the bottom of the screen and two silhouettes through the glass window, backlit, one very tall, hunched over a table where steam rises, Golden Arches in the foreground to the left.

I don't think there are enough blue collar workers in town any more to support places that feed people who have to be on the site by 7AM.
One day a week I stand around with these folk, waiting for the bus, and the sun to rise. They're clutching white bags with McMuffin sandwiches, man, and sipping coffee from a paper cup.