Skanky Dominion Lager

DonRocks

Could be lots of stuff.

Did you open more than one bottle (of course you did...)?

Was it clear or did it have some kind of detectable haze?

Are we talking "skank" or "skunk?" Once again, I know that you know the difference.

Should have just stuck with Dogfish 90 Minute IPA. It's so strong that you can't make it stink. Delicious and bulletproof. The perfect combo.

It smells like unflavored yogurt.

As said above it sounds like a bad bottle and possibly the outcome of a bad batch.

My theory is that it's the beer gods taking revenge on the corporate overlords of yet another assimilated local brewery.

Could be lots of stuff.

Did you open more than one bottle (of course you did...)?

Was it clear or did it have some kind of detectable haze?

Are we talking "skank" or "skunk?" Once again, I know that you know the difference.

Should have just stuck with Dogfish 90 Minute IPA. It's so strong that you can't make it stink. Delicious and bulletproof. The perfect combo.

It was the whole six-pack.

Not so much "haze" as small, particulate matter, that will neither rise nor sink. After I read your post, I took the offending bottle, poured it in a clear glass, let it calm down, and examined it against a bright light. It's nasty stuff.

Skank, not skunk. I've had many a skunked Pilsner Urquell. This was something lactic. I know the smell, and it's what I get (among other things) in certain milk products.

Can't get Dogfish 90 Minute IPA in smaller Giants, alas.

This is not the first time I've experienced this with Dominion beers. Within the same "genre," Sam Adams seems much more consistent (sterile?).

I promise everyone here I'd support Dominion as a champion of greatness, if, and only if, they made a great product. But they don't.

Do you remember the Flintstones episode, when Fred got home from a long day of work, and all he wanted was a bottle of Rocky Cola?

"Wilma!"

"Yes, Fred?"

"Where's my last bottle of Rocky Cola?"

"Monty drank it."

Well, Fred laid a shit fit, and the same thing pretty much happened to me tonight with this nadir beer.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I promise everyone here I'd support Dominion as a champion of greatness, if, and only if, they made a great product. But they don't.

They used to make a great product (OK, a handful of good products and a couple of great products). Even if someone hadn't read about the gutting of the brewery staff following the AB takeover (sorry, the Coastal takeover), I would bet that they would be able to discern the difference. I've stopped buying their beers, not out of micro-snobbery but simply because the quality has taken a nose dive. I just hope the Tuppers can find a new outlet for their contract brews.

The quality of their products has been on a downhill slide since being bought out by Coastal/A-B, and I suspect that moving the Dominion products to Delaware hasn't helped matters. Dominion Ale was my regular after-work beer for years, but it simply doesn't taste the same anymore.