TastePost, by The Washington Post

goodeats

I may be wrong, but hasn't history shown that $$$ subscription based web content just doesn't work?

Yeah, but you get a chance to win dinner with Tom if you subscribe. I guess the Post, like most other newspapers, are trying to find ways to make $$$.

On the plus side: you do get a subscription to Bon Apetit (value: $12) included in the $20 fee. And, it looks like you can get the $12 back if you don't want the magazine, so the effective cost is $8.

On the negative side: they keep your CC#, and automatically rebill you for the membership the next year.

QUOTE (DanielK @ Jan 28 2009, 09:51 AM) post_snapback.gifOn the negative side: they keep your CC#, and automatically rebill you for the membership the next year.

FAIL

I'm finding more and more places that are doing this. Kinda sucks, but if it is something your interested in or want, one is left with no other option. As I try to do what I can to eat out to help out small businesses, I joined to do my part to keep the Post around (what would we do if TS wasn't around to bash :P ) and just for the sake of getting info on deals and such; the subscription was a bonus.

I may be wrong, but hasn't history shown that $$$ subscription based web content just doesn't work?
There are models where paid content works quite well (WSJ, Robertparker.com are two that spring to mind), but I don't know of any forums that require a subscription (I am sure they exist, I just don't know of them). Many of the features they are touting can be found for free on the interweb, and I am sure that you can find much better examples. One example would be the Cellar option, it might be decent, but I doubt it will be as useful or powerful as Cellar Tracker, which gives most features away for free (you do have to suffer through Eric's occasional e-mails asking for money, but it is a small price to pay).

I am not sure what to make of this Tasty Invitations feature: "TastePost has the events and has the pull to get you in." Does this mean they know of the events? Or that they plan and execute the events? In either case I can't imagine that they really have the pull to get me into the invitation only artisinal Pisco tasting at the residence of the Peruvian Ambassador’s residence.

While I might not have decided to place an article about Roquefort cheese on the front page of The Washington Post were I in the position to do so, this kind of story is more likely to keep me a loyal, regular reader of the paper than a special, foodie e-column.

Here's "Bush War on Roquefort..." (Edward Cody, 01/29/09). It appears below the fold in the print edition; online, the photograph is the first thing you see.

It's sad to read in the same paper about the decision to do away with the book review, a hard economic decision that increases the appeal of the outrageously priced Sunday NYTs.

However, in a world where fewer folk buy or love books (last time I paid for a novel was 2-3 years ago), food enjoys greater and greater prominence in our culture. I usually prefer reading this kind of story--or Jane Black's recent Op-Ed piece--even though I never miss Wednesday's Food Section.

While I might not have decided to place an article about Roquefort cheese on the front page of The Washington Post were I in the position to do so, this kind of story is more likely to keep me a loyal, regular reader of the paper than a special, foodie e-column.

Here's "Bush War on Roquefort..." (Edward Cody, 01/29/09). It appears below the fold in the front edition; online, the photograph is the first thing you see.

It's sad to read in the same paper about the decision to do away with the book review, a hard economic decision that increases the appeal of the outrageously priced Sunday NYTs.

However, in a world where fewer folk buy or love books (last time I paid for a novel was 2-3 years ago), food enjoys greater and greater prominence in our culture. I usually prefer reading this kind of story--or Jane Black's recent Op-Ed piece--even though I never miss Wednesday's Food Section.

Anna, look on the bright side, both the Post and NYT are available online for free! Plus, no black smudgy fingers.

I am not sure what to make of this Tasty Invitations feature: "TastePost has the events and has the pull to get you in." Does this mean they know of the events? Or that they plan and execute the events? In either case I can't imagine that they really have the pull to get me into the invitation only artisinal Pisco tasting at the residence of the Peruvian Ambassador’s residence.

I too would love to know more about these special events, especially the Grand Tasting. I think that for me, how enticing these events are will decide whether or not i join.

Does anyone remember the phone line "Post-Haste?" (Do they still have it? If not, I think "Post Taste" is a better name than Taste Post.)

RIP - 5/31/2005. The phone line will still answer, however. 301-313-2200. The message is hilarious. It seems it took the Post until the middle of 2005 to learn that people prefer the internet for information gathering.

RIP - 5/31/2005. The phone line will still answer, however. 301-313-2200. The message is hilarious. It seems it took the Post until the middle of 2005 to learn that people prefer the internet for information gathering.

I remember calling in to Post-Haste to listen to samples of bands whose CDs were reviewed in the Weekend section. I am forever indebted to it for helping me decide to buy the Bill Holman Band's "Brilliant Corners" Monk tribute CD, which became one of my all-time faves.