Wine Left at House Parties

edenman

Over the past year I've accumulated a few bottles of red wine from various parties. Being a wine neophyte, I turn to the experts:

Alamos Malbec 2007

Cotes du Ventoux, La Vieille Ferme, Recolte 2006

The Smoking Loon (NV)

Ruffino, Il Leo Chianti, 2003

Campo de Borja, Vina Borgia 2007

Is any of this worth drinking? Should I use some for cooking? I know, I know, "only cook with something you'd drink" but still.

Excellent wines to have in case you're entertaining and run out after the liquor stores close -- and you're sufficiently liquored up not to care much.

Except that Loon shit. I might use that to clean a drain.

La Vielle Ferme used to be my go-to midweek red when Cairo Loquors happened to be on my way home. Either it's lost quality or my taste has improved since then, but, as Sthitch suggests, it still goes well with a pizza (I think the '06 is probably in decent shape).

If the CdV were a bit younger I would drink it with pizza, a 2006 might be a little over the hill.

I think La Vieille Ferme is the wine with the chicken/rooster on the label. If so, it should be fine, but not anything to write home about. Not in the same class as some of my favorite CdV's like DDB Les Agapes.

Not in the same class as some of my favorite CdV's like DDB Les Agapes.
I have rarely been disappointed by a CdV, maybe it is because of the price, but at its worst they are drinkable and cheap, at its best it is best well they are still nothing life changing but it won't set you back as much as a burger at Central. I guess that is just a long winded way of saying that I generally keep at least a case of it around the house as an easy drinking house wine (ask a certain someone on New Mexico avenue about The Bishop).

I have rarely been disappointed by a CdV, maybe it is because of the price, but at its worst they are drinkable and cheap, at its best it is best well they are still nothing life changing but it won't set you back as much as a burger at Central. I guess that is just a long winded way of saying that I generally keep at least a case of it around the house as an easy drinking house wine (ask a certain someone on New Mexico avenue about The Bishop).

I love the Bishop, in fact I have bought a case of it from Riley before. I used to buy the LVF in Mags for parties, but I just think the Les Agapes (from Addiss)blows away the others I have tasted.

Recently, a generous guest left us a bottle of regular NV Billecart-Salmon at the end of a long night of blind wine tasting. It was grat when we popped the bottle this weekend with others and provided them an eye opening experience. Sharing a shared gift makes it all the more wonderful in my book.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2009 at 7:01 PM, edenman said:

Over the past year I've accumulated a few bottles of red wine from various parties. Being a wine neophyte, I turn to the experts:

Alamos Malbec 2007

Cotes du Ventoux, La Vieille Ferme, Recolte 2006

The Smoking Loon (NV)

Ruffino, Il Leo Chianti, 2003

Campo de Borja, Vina Borgia 2007

Is any of this worth drinking? Should I use some for cooking? I know, I know, "only cook with something you'd drink" but still.

You will never know until you try them  The real question is how the wines were store after being put in the bottle.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:14 PM, Pool Boy said:

Recently, a generous guest left us a bottle of regular NV Billecart-Salmon at the end of a long night of blind wine tasting. It was grat when we popped the bottle this weekend with others and provided them an eye opening experience. Sharing a shared gift makes it all the more wonderful in my book.

Our favorite champagne by far.  A great one to give, receive and drink.  I always have a bottle chilled and a few in the cellar.

2 hours ago, MarkS said:

Our favorite champagne by far.  A great one to give, receive and drink.  I always have a bottle chilled and a few in the cellar.

It really is great. It is a great tool to open some eyes as well.

I have a new neighbor whose dog is Harry Houdini. Escapes all the time and frequently is captured by myself or other neighbors and held until the owners get home. They gave me a bottle of wine as a thank you, which I graciously accepted, thinking it would be plonk. Went to the bag an hour later and removed the tissue paper, and saw the capsule of the wine. Wow.

Smiling, I pulled the bottle from the bag to see it was a 2013 RdV Lost Mountain. Certainly a generous gift for being neighborly and an hour of dog sitting. a few days later I was chatting with another neighbor, who also captured the dog and also got a bottle of wine as a gift. Excitedly, I asked what they received. "No, idea. You know we don't care about wine" So I asked to take a peak. They got a bottle of Mark West Pinot Noir.

Now, I was intrigued. The next time I saw the dog owners I thanked them for the gracious gift, and asked them if they were wine aficionados. They like to drink wine but "really don't know much about it". Turns out, they were just re-gifting wines left at their house or given to them! I told them the wine they gave me was quite good, hard to acquire, and very expensive....offering to give it back. They chuckled and declined, saying "you'll seem to appreciate it more than we will" and that was that.

• Like 8