Faccia Luna, Two in Virginia, Two in Pennsylvania

Mr. MV and I had not been to Faccia Luna since we dated, so after making an exchange at Williams Sonoma next door, we decided it was time to go back. Whenever we were on that block for WS, or Southside 815, we couldn't help but notice how many neighborood folks were picking up pizzas for take out. So, that's what we decided to focus on for our entree. We shared a 14 inch (large) Margherita Pizza. The sauce and cheese were delicious, and made eating it from the tip to the middle outstanding. However, the dough got less topping a bit thicker towards the crust, which could have stood for more browning and a bit of char coming out of an oven that looked and smelled promising. My dogs enjoyed the crusts when I got home, so nothing went to waste!

Prior to the pizza, I had a perfectly average, if not over-dressed Caesar salad. Mr. MV ordered a special of PEI mussels in a white wine and garlic sauce. The generous portion of plump, juicy, perfectly cooked (and not at all sandy) mussels were terrific, as was the broth which we sopped up with some crusty bread.

Our server was very pleasant (right on top of refills), however, a runner served our piping hot pizza when we were nowhere near done our apps, which just sucked. I didn't send it back, nor did we reflect our displeasure in the tip, but wow....to plop a pizza down when it's plain to see we have just begun to dig into our apps was just not thinking, and not well-timed. I should have sent it back, and will pipe up next time, because I am pretty sure that popping the pizza back into the pizza oven 10 minutes later would have been OK.

I would go back to try more of the menu, particularly the pastas. As for the pizza, I'd try more of that too, but be sure to let them know I want it served AFTER any apps ordered.

Faccia Luna Website.

i've been to the old town location a number of times (for the margharita and white pizzas) and the clarendon location twice. in my experience the old town one is much better than the clarendon one, but then again, i only went to clarendon 2 times.

I've only been to the Clarendon one, but I always thought about trying the Alexandria one because their website says, "In keeping with their vision, Faccia Luna restaurants are indeed urban trattorias specializing in wood-oven pizza (except in Arlington)..." I was wondering if the wood-oven version would be better.

I was wondering if the wood-oven version would be better.

Because its just down the street from us, I just ate there this week. And its a very good neighborhood joint. But, I'm not sure they use the oven to its maximum potential. Having eaten at both, I don't see much difference. And there isn't blistering or crispness or any pronounced 'wood' flavor you might expect as well. So, while still nice, not particularly special.

Back when we didn't have a lot of money, their Monday special was sort of the de facto date night for my wife (then girlfriend) and I:

MONDAY NIGHT SPECIAL ~ 2 PEOPLE for $24.24

plus tax and tip

For starters: ~ Two small salads with your choice of dressing

or for $2.00 extra, Any one appetizer to share

Entrée: ~ One 12" pizza with up to two toppings

(sorry, no half toppings)

Beverages: ~ 2 glasses house wine or 2 non-alcoholic drinks

(you must be 21 to order alcohol)

That's $24.24 TOTAL, not per person.

I've been getting a lot of emails from PS 7's lately of specials that they're running. It makes me really nervous that they might be in trouble due to the economy.

I had a similar thought about Faccia Luna in Clarendon. A couple of times when I've walked by Faccia Luna, someone was standing on the sidewalk giving out pizza samples. I was wondering if this was because of a decline in business. They still look busy though.

Can't speak to the other locations, but had a disappointing experience in Alexandria not long ago. The pizza just isn't what it used to be - the crust was undercooked, thicker than I remember and had very little sauce and too much cheese. A mushroom and pasta dish had good flavor and lots of mushrooms, but the pasta (fettucini) was stuck together in big clumps. The outdoor seating is a bonus and plenty of people were there on a Saturday night, continuing to show up at 10pm and later. I don't go often and feel even less inclined to go now. Their sandwiches used to be good - maybe I'll have to give them another try and stick to A la Lucia when I want pizza in Old Town.

Have had some pretty darn good NYish style pizza here recently. The pepperoni and salami on the Genoa has been sliced generously thick and the beer list here is not too shabby (Avery Brown, Epic IPA, Oberon among others). Why anyone would wait 90 minutes down the street for Fireworks Pizza with Faccia Luna nearby is beyond me.

After reading Clarendon Culture's post on the pasta at Faccia Luna ( http://www.clarendonculture.com/post/12838942290/faccia-luna ) I went there last night, ostensibly to try the pasta (which I have never had).

I drank a couple of glasses of wine. The ladies on either side of me got pizzas and I...ended up with a pizza. It was too tasty looking to resist.

And the pizza was great. The meatballs were what they were, which I should have expected, but I thought the pepperoni was fantastic.

It's been packed there the last few times I went by, so I was happy I could sit at the bar and play with my new Kindle Fire.

On 10/26/2011 at 2:05 PM, astrid said:

I'm a little surprised that Rustico got mentioned before Faccia Luna. I hated Rustico after my one experience there (loud, small portions, slow service, food that reads much better than they actually taste). Faccia Luna isn't super-high quality, but they do have a nice crust and decent toppings.

Longtime Pizza Restaurant Faccia Luna to Become ‘Alto Fumo’ - by Chris Teale December 27, 2017 at 1:45 pm, on ARLnow.com.

On 12/27/2017 at 2:08 PM, DonRocks said:

Alto Fumo's website says that they're open (I would absolutely call first).

Sitting at the bar across the street and this place does not look open. We can see the stools upside down on the front counter. Seems odd for mid-afternoon on a holiday. 

Just checked their Twitter feed. They closed for good on January 15. 

3 minutes ago, dcs said:

Sitting at the bar across the street and this place does not look open. We can see the stools upside down on the front counter. Seems odd for mid-afternoon on a holiday. 

ArlNow said that Alto Fumo said they closed for remodeling, but the commenters seem to indicate they’re closed for good.