Minh's Restaurant, Pretty North Vietnamese at 2500 Wilson Blvd. in Clarendon - Closed

In the general culinary wasteland of suburban Virginia within walking distance from my office - Cosi or Boston Market for lunch - there is a pretty little restaurant worth checking out. Minh's sits a few blocks away from Courthouse metro and turns out food that tastes and looks better than it needs to at average entree price of $8 a pop. The dining room is cool and serene, the staff obliging, if a bit slow, and the food is a bit more refined and carefully prepared than one would expect.

I started with shrimp cakes, which were good-size fritters of butterflied shrimp with bits of sweet potato wrapped in batter that was neither greasy nor overpowering the delicate filling. They come with a ramekin of clear and spicy dipping sauce, and the "cake" size makes it convenient to dip without making a spectacle of yourself.

Onward to caramelized catfish with green onion in a clay pot. This is everything you'd expect from the name - a delicious, gooey stew dotted with chunks of comfortingly fatty catfish and onion sprigs. Dump the rice that comes with your entree in the pot and whirl it around thick, sweet fish gravy for a wonderfully satisfying lunch break.

This can be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Those shrimp cakes are the best. I first went there with a friend originally from Vietnam, and she also really liked it. We usually would go to places way out in the 'burbs, and this was the first "close in" place that she liked. Needless to say it was fun going with her, as she always ordered the best things. She is the one who got me trying the shrimp cakes.

I always find the food to be very fresh and well prepared.

Sounds like you work near my husband's office. I visited him at work one day and took a stroll down Wilson... discovered Minh's quite by accident and was delighted.

There are few things more soothing than sweet Vietmanese coffee in a civilized space. Must try those shrimp cakes next time I visit.

Yeah, give this place attention. It's in my hood and I'd like to see it busier! Actually, it wouldn't be a bad place to do a DR.com event on the cheap. What's that shrimp dish with sweet potatoes? You know what I'm talking about...

Edited by Meaghan

I was walking down Wilson Boulevard this evening, cold and hungry, when a gentle oasis suddenly beckoned to me with big windows, white lights, and a strange bicycle sculpture. I squinted to read the signs: "Minh's" it said. "Minh's" I thought. Didn't I just read about this in Sietsema's chat?

It was beautiful, but scarily empty--the kind of empty that has you walking through the dining room and then walking back to the entrance, trying to figure out if it's a museum or a food joint with wait staff. As I got back to my entrance and, by then, intended exit, a woman popped out. "Can I help you?" she asked, smiling. "Yes, please," I said. "One for dinner."

I sat down at a table surrounded by windows. Horrible new-age vietnamese music was piping into the restaurant, but there was a fountain, or the sound of a fountain, anyway, and white linen tablecloths. I popped up to read Sietsema's reviews, then sat back down and ordered a recommended appetizer, shrimp cakes, and a special appetizer, crab soup with asparagus. I tried to order a third ap, chicken salad, to round out the meal, but the waiter waived me off. "The shrimp cakes are very large," he said. "It's enough food."

The crab soup was a tasteless broth, a corner take-out battle lost, with cornstarch leaching flavor from everything else. But the shrimp cakes were a wonder! Crunchy fried sweet potatoes with a shrimp attached, lettuce leaves, cilantro, and a strange basil/mint plant. On the waiter's instruction, I wrapped the cakes in lettuce and herbs and dipped into the fish sauce-based dip and quietly, happily, melted. Salty, sweet, savory, bitter, and crunchy--you'd be hard-pressed to design a dish better suited to hitting every tripwire on the tongue.

Three tables were occupied. Three! And their dishes smelled heavenly--I wished, suddenly, strongly, that I'd ordered the pork when the scent from a nearby table wafted over--but the dining room was enormous. With all the rotten Vietnamese in the District, I wondered, why on earth was this place so empty?

When I paid my bill--$12.50, plus tax--I was still wondering.

Edited by babka

It was a $28.06 Tuesday.

Crescent Fresh, here's to get you started-the site's been under construction for years. Thanks again for rallying, you guys look a lot like your avatar said you would...

My favorite dishes were all specials for the night--the whole red snapper w/ a sweet and sour sauce (which I've had) and the whole roasted hen with sticky rice (it was juicy enough for the price and has a seemingly five spices sort of rub). The roasted eggplant also really stands out. A delicately sweet, yet subtley vinegared preparation made with baby white eggplant, also a special for the night.

The best part of all was when Stephen B (B is for Blunt) asked Mr. Minh if there's any relation to the famous Minh family ...and later tried to consume a coconut shell. Good stuff.

9 people at Minh's tonight. 3 were new to DR.com events. 2 were not members (yet) and came as guests of legant, who was at her first DR event. (She looks nothing like her avatar! :) )

StephenB and cucas87 were holding down the fort when Black Sheep and I arrived, followed shortly thereafter by Meaghan, then the legant trio and finally mdt, who knew he'd have to accept about a week's worth of name-calling and taunting if he was a no-show. (He did warn he'd be late however).

StephenB was doing his absolute best at trying to dig deep into the details of traditional Vietnamese food, dismissing the young women assigned to help us and having them call upon a restaurant manager who could most thoroughly outline the delicacies to come. The man who came was the chef/owner who was, as Meaghan pointed out in the previous post, not related to any of the famous Minhs, North or South, making headlines throughout the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Anyway, sensing that we were all starving and about ready to wrap him in rice paper, Stephen steered the chef into speaking about his specialities and of our interest in eating authentic Vietnamese and to please not adjust it for our sensitive American tastebuds. (I think it worked out well. In my understanding of Vietnamese food, it's all about the herbs and the French influence, and not about what they do with chiles. That was reflected in our meal).

We got right to ordering. First a selection of rolls for the table. Goi cuon - combination rice rolls with shrimp, herbs and vegetables wrapped in cold rice paper. Bi cuon, shredded pork roll similar to the goi cuon. Cha gio, which were deep fried ground pork spring rolls. And shrimp cakes, which were like deep fried fritters of shredded yam and shrimp. All were served with appropriate sauces, like the ever-present nuoc mam, which was quite sweet. The rolls were not the best I've ever had...surely not the worst...but tasty. I had more appreciation for the shrimp cakes which were new to me.

The entree parade consisted of a few of the items on the specials board: Grilled eggplant, which was a table favorite. Intensely smooth, slightly smokey flavor from the grill. No charring whatsoever. Cucas87 deserves cheers for recommending we pick up a vegetable dish...that one in particular. The other special we ordered was a roasted hen with sticky rice. Some folks noted some cinnamony/5-spice action going on here. I had a piece of the dark meat which I found very meaty and juicy. The sticky rice may have been a little too sticky. Nearly impossible to cut up into neat pieces for all of us as it stuck to anything it touched, it must have originated at a 3M manufacturing facility where it failed as an original post-it note adhesive because it worked too much like bumper sticker adhesive.

We put in for one order of the caramel catfish, served in a clay pot with green and red peppers. Very sweet sauce over the delicate fish. Go for it if you dig the sweet stuff. Our other fish dish was a whole, deep fried red snapper, which the servers graciously offered to help divvy up onto our individual plates. She was a trouper about it, but mdt and Meaghan noted that it wasn't the best job of cleaning the meat off the bones. The fish serves four people ($43.00) and was presented dorsal fin up and surrounded by the nice sweet sauce and lots of vegetable matter.

The last two dishes were a chicken lemongrass, served in a clay pot, recommended by the chef, and the only item we ordered that was listed as spicy and came out with a rather mild chile flavor. I didn't notice any whole chiles in there so it must have been some kind of paste. I also didn't notice much lemongrass flavoring. But it was still a nice alternative to more pedestrian Chinese and Thai sliced/chunked chicken dishes I've had recently. Lastly we shared a grilled porkchop plate that was marinated with lemongrass. I think I found this the weakest dish. The meat was far overcooked and didn't have enough of a charred smokey grilled flavor that I was looking and have had in similar dishes at other Vietnamese restaurants. Legant was smart in recommending we all dip it in the nuoc mam, which helped boost the flavor greatly.

Free cone day didn't happen....wasn't worth the walk. StephenB will have to tell you what his dessert was, and I vaguely recall mention of eating a coconut shell, but I was in another conversation at the time and missed it. My sticky rice with mango was a must miss. Not a particularly sweet or ripe mango and this time the sticky rice had a handful of hard grains in there. Not particularly pleasant.

A round of "33" beer for nearly everyone also. And yes, $28.06/person all day. I like $20 Tuesdays. Rather informal. No set menu. Good to try a sampling of things and doing it a bit differently than the set DR events. And look, I waited 2 hours to post about it! Unlike Meaghan who got her fingers tapping right as she got home! :angry:

Minh's was by no means the best Vietnamese food I've ever had. But I think they've got the fish thing down great. Stick to the fish and you'll do very well. And Rocks is so right about the owner's beard. Couldn't stop looking at it. Kinda like looking at the person with the chive between his teeth. It's freaky.

Lastly we shared a grilled porkchop plate that was marinated with lemongrass.  I think I found this the weakest dish.  The meat was far overcooked and didn't have enough of a charred smokey grilled flavor that I was looking and have had in similar dishes at other Vietnamese restaurants.  Legant was smart in recommending we all dip it in the nuoc mam, which helped boost the flavor greatly.

I must respectfully disagree. I thought the pork chop rocked! It may have been the nuoc mam but I would return to Minh's just for the pork chop.

<<StephenB will have to tell you what his dessert was, and I vaguely recall mention of eating a coconut shell>>

The dessert was a coconut purée, and of course as everyone knows the meat of the coconut is on the inside of the shell, as Meaghan, who took a taste, can testify.

<<StephenB will have to tell you what his dessert was, and I vaguely recall mention of eating a coconut shell>>

The dessert was a coconut purée, and of course as everyone knows the meat of the coconut is on the inside of the shell, as Meaghan, who took a taste, can testify.

Wasn't it Sharon's in a half coconut shell? :)

I meant to go A&J for some noodle soup but none of the nearby roads cooperated. Rt. 123 was closed at Tysons and I couldn't get on 495 south so I ended up heading north, then got off on GW Parkway heading into the city, then back onto 66 to go to Arlington. All that for noodle soup, which I suspected wouldn't be very good at Minh's (which proved correct), fortunately I also ordered a plate of fried catfish. A big filet of catfish, basically entire half of a catfish, expertly breaded and seasoned, fried perfectly. And dipping it in the fish sauce was fantastic. Despite getting the noodle soup first, I left half a bowl of noodles but there were no fish left.

Mihns is just wonderful. My husband and I go once a week during the cooler months for the #3 Pho with as much rooster sauce as either of us can tolerate.

We also always order the garden rolls (not fried).

The service is always friendly, and the wine pours are ginormous! :)

Another dish that I have had a couple of times is the Lemon Grass Chicken in a Clay Pot - heaven!

Had great delivery from Minh's the other night. I was very allergy hazed and just wanted some good noodle soup. So I got the rice noodle with pork, crab and something else... It came with the noodles and meat separate from the hot broth and then a separate bag of sprouts and cilantro and jalapeno, which was so nice so it wasn't over cooked or soggy. It also came with a little container of Sirracha. It hit the spot perfectly and was a huge portion, I added the noodles in so they wouldn't get gross and warmed it up the next day too. And it was nice to have all the add in options. Also had some spring rolls which were good, theirs are huge though the coating was disintegrating, but that was prob the delivery. Hubby had a noodle and grilled pork salad that had some really tasty grilled pork on it.

The DR.com dining guide strikes again! Without kids for the evening and needing to run some errands in Northern Virginia, I consulted the guide for something new and interesting to try. I stumbled upon Minh's, described in the dining guide as, "For several years now, Minh's has been perhaps the best Vietnamese restaurant in the DC area, inexplicably overlooked." Having tried only a smattering of Vietnamese restaurants in the DC area, I can't testify with confidence to Minh's being the best, but I can certainly agree with the "inexplicably overlooked" part. Minh's is very good, honest food, and I take it as a good sign that the restaurant appeared to be populated with a large number of Vietnamese on this Saturday night.

The restaurant was, in fact, quite crowded, including at least one party for twenty-five or so right in the middle of the dining room and assorted other parties of 6-8. With apologies from the hostess, we were shuffled back to a table squeezed into the back corner of the dining room. Our only complaint of the night was not about the table itself, but rather that we seemed to be forgotten at points, needing to flag somebody down for a beer or for the check at the end of the night.

On to the food, we started with baby mustard rolls with little idea what we'd be getting. What we got were delicious. I presume that the mustard is a reference to the leaves surrounding the rolls that we received. Inside the mustard leaves was a combination of rice and caramelized pork served along with a spicy dipping sauce. I'd order this again in a heartbeat. Tired of gummy summer rolls or flavorless fried spring rolls? Try these.

For the entrees, we ordered the "sizzling" catfish skewers and then asked for a recommendation on our second dish. Without hesitation, our server recommended shrimp with asparagus. Both were very good, but we actually preferred the catfish to the shrimp. The catfish dish came with two skewers of catfish buried among what appeared to be fried dill, all served in a sizzling cast iron dish (think fajitas). Along side was the traditional plate of Southeast Asian accompaniments--lettuce leaves, Thai basil, cilantro, sauce, peanuts, etc.--in which to wrap the catfish. Think classic, fresh Vietnamese flavors, and that's what this was.

The shrimp and asparagus was perfectly well cooked in a brown sauce of some sort with carrots mixed in. The shrimp and asparagus both seemed to be of good quality, and we certainly cleaned the plate clean. When we go back, though, I suspect we'll order something else. This was a good dish, but it just didn't make much of an impression.

Like many of us, I think, I felt compelled to order the Vietnamese beer to go with our Vietnamese food. That was "Export 33" in this case. Standard Asian beer (i.e., on the lighter side). Perfectly fine, but not anything I'd seek out for another occasion other than eating Vietnamese food.

Service was affable, if a bit slow.

All in all, a very pleasant dining experience. We are sure to return, and we likely would have never known about it were it not for Don's magical dining guide. Kudos to both Minh's and Don Rockwell for writing about Minh's.

Glad you had a great experience there, hungryprof! this is exactly the kind of thing I love Don's guide for.

We're regulars at Minh's - I was sure I'd written something in this thread, but apparently not. This is invariably where I take my parents when they're visiting and they're always happy. We order in from them frequently, though we like eating there too and the service is always friendly and usually pretty good (we haven't been in the back room more than once).

To start, the fried spring rolls at Minh's are an exception to the flavorless ones you may get elsewhere. They're extremely good -- I usually resist them other places, but can't resist them at Minh's. Our favorite starter, however, is yam cakes -- these are cakes made of fried bits of yam with whole shrimp (in the shell) on top. The only time I actually eat the shell is when we get this dish - it's thin and crisp and doesn't feel like eating shell. You wrap the cakes in big lettuce leaves along with herbs (I think cilantro and basil), and dip them in a sauce (might be fish sauce, clearly it's been too long since we've been). It's delicious, and something I've never seen at another Vietnamese restaurant. The pho is not the star at Minh's, though my son likes it fine (he gets the pho #2, don't recall what cut of meat that is, but it's the thin barely cooked one that gets more cooked by the broth). I get young coconut juice to drink.

Main dishes: I tend to get the grilled shrimp on vermicelli, with various herbs and another light sauce to pour over. Sometimes the grilled pork (you can get half pork, half spring rolls, if you don't get them as an appetizer). The coconut mint scallops were excellent. My husband likes the five-spice chicken. I keep meaning to try the crepe. My dad has gotten various fish things and been quite happy. And they are very kid-friendly -- we used to go when the kiddo was young and they were great with him (and he likes their coconut ice cream and chocolate ice cream).

Glad you had a great experience there, hungryprof! this is exactly the kind of thing I love Don's guide for.

We're regulars at Minh's - I was sure I'd written something in this thread, but apparently not. This is invariably where I take my parents when they're visiting and they're always happy. We order in from them frequently, though we like eating there too and the service is always friendly and usually pretty good (we haven't been in the back room more than once).

To start, the fried spring rolls at Minh's are an exception to the flavorless ones you may get elsewhere. They're extremely good -- I usually resist them other places, but can't resist them at Minh's. Our favorite starter, however, is yam cakes -- these are cakes made of fried bits of yam with whole shrimp (in the shell) on top. The only time I actually eat the shell is when we get this dish - it's thin and crisp and doesn't feel like eating shell. You wrap the cakes in big lettuce leaves along with herbs (I think cilantro and basil), and dip them in a sauce (might be fish sauce, clearly it's been too long since we've been). It's delicious, and something I've never seen at another Vietnamese restaurant. The pho is not the star at Minh's, though my son likes it fine (he gets the pho #2, don't recall what cut of meat that is, but it's the thin barely cooked one that gets more cooked by the broth). I get young coconut juice to drink.

Main dishes: I tend to get the grilled shrimp on vermicelli, with various herbs and another light sauce to pour over. Sometimes the grilled pork (you can get half pork, half spring rolls, if you don't get them as an appetizer). The coconut mint scallops were excellent. My husband likes the five-spice chicken. I keep meaning to try the crepe. My dad has gotten various fish things and been quite happy. And they are very kid-friendly -- we used to go when the kiddo was young and they were great with him (and he likes their coconut ice cream and chocolate ice cream).

We went there for the first time tonight and were really anticipating some very good food. Unfortunately, we were mostly disappointed. The chicken and cabbage app was OK, but much of the chicken was tough and the dressing was bland. The app sampler was slightly better, but the shrimp were encased in a thick deep fried batter, and the rice paper rolls had some surprisingly tough innards. Onto the mains. The grilled scallops in coconut sauce was meh. Scallops were sparse and not grilled and the sauce was very heavy and undistinguished. The carmelized catfish was the best thing that we ordered--piping hot and cooked melt in your mouth--but it suffered from a certain sameness. A wider variety of vegetables would have made it more interesting.

At Minh's, the pho is actually not my favorite thing -- I would go for the crisp pork-filled spring rolls, the grilled shrimp over vermicelli, and the crispy yam appetizer (fried thick shreds of yam, compressed into triangles, with whole fried shrimp atop them, lettuce and herbs to wrap with, and dipping sauce).

The shrimp in this appetizer used to be served head-on, but they haven't been for the past several years. Does anyone know if this still holds true?

[PS - I'm not sure I've ever used the word "pretty" to describe a restaurant (note the title), but it kind-of is.]

They are not head-on, Don -- sorry if my reference to "whole" shrimp was misleading. I only meant that they are cooked in the shell, which you are meant to eat (and I always do - it's thin and does not taste like shell).

Right, I understand, but when Minh's first opened, this dish was made with head-on shrimp, and it was a much better dish because of it.

As mentioned last night, we went to Minh's on Wilson. To make a long story short, there was a bit of pressure on me to produce a good meal at some place new and untested, despite the fact that the old standby has been sliding downhill for quite some time, and the last two times there had been nearly unbearable. It turned out we had four people. I ordered the veg pho and was pleasantly surprised by a lovely, balanced broth with just enough spice and no overwhelming onion flavor. Mr. lperry had the lemongrass tofu, and the piece I stole was delicious. He ate the entire plateful. One friend had the chicken with rice noodles which she said was very good, and our other friend had the minced shrimp.

There was a tense moment when the food came and our friend spent more than a few seconds looking at his plate of shrimp silently and suspiciously, then asked for the menu and the waiter, convinced it was not what he ordered. The minced shrimp was presented beautifully but, perhaps, a bit differently, wrapped around sugarcane sticks to look a bit like a chicken drumstick, and we convinced him to take a bite. He did, and with one taste, his entire countenance shifted, and he exclaimed, "this is wonderful!" Crisis averted.

Don is correct that there are signs of age at Minh's. The table was a little wobbly and the menus are a bit worn, but service was attentive and the food was very good. With free parking in the back lot off Cleveland (I think?) after 5, there's no fighting for a space on the street, another plus in the area.

When we left, our friend asked for a card so he could remember the restaurant and come back. :)

Thanks again for all the help!

• Like 1

Very nearly as good as some of the places in the Eden Center. Nearly. But, the service is excellent, the decor is quite nice, and the prices are amazing. Add outdoor seating and good private parking, and its a sure winner. This is a family run place, but they know they are making food for the Arlington crowd, so its a little dumbed down, but only a little. This is very comforting food, healthy, and has a wide variety. A truly enjoyable dining experience for both aficionados of Vietnamese cuisine as well as newcomers. Hardcore Vietamese food fanatics may be a little disappointed, but only a little. But, overall an outstanding dining experience, great food, great prices, and service. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

With the first bite of the grilled eggplant, I exclaimed under my breath:   Wow!!!   that is good!!!

While Minh's is incredibly convenient to me, for some reason I don't dine there often; its been a while.  It is still terrific.  Went there the other day for what turned out to be a very long lunch.  We got there at noon.  The place was empty.  When we left around 3:00 I believe we were the last lunchers to depart.  While we ordered spring rolls and shrimp cake to start, it took a very long time before we ordered mains.   The staff was infinitely patient.  Kudo's to them.

Appetizers were shrimp cake and spring rolls.  While I've heard and read endlessly about how great the shrimp cakes are...I preferred the spring rolls.  Both were tasty.

Minh's.   It has been well received for years.  Its still outstanding.  Seriously...first bite of the grilled eggplant was spectacular.  Its still worth a visit.

• Like 5

I've been visiting Minh's more frequently lately.  Its very proximate and convenient.  Here is a quality restaurant that has been around for 15 years or so, has always done an excellent job, in my opinion, has gotten lost in the shuffle, doesn't seem to make a lot of changes to the menu, but still does an excellent job with the food it does put out.

Here is a new dish that I quite enjoyed:  Ca Bung...Northern Vietnamese Pork Belly in an enjoyable soup/broth with eggplant, tofu, vegetables, rice.  From research its a popular peasant dish...and I love comfort food/peasant dishes from all over the world.  This is delish...a pleasant mix of flavors and textures.

Minh's:  Its still putting out excellent dishes.

• Like 4

Minh's has the distinction of being the longest-running restaurant in the history of our website to be ranked in Italic, without a pause, since April 15, 2005, and subsequently retired in Italic.

Many thanks to the owners of Minh's, who provided me and my son with many, many fine meals over the years (but you all still made a mistake when you stopped serving head-on shrimp in your outstanding Bánh Tôm - one of Northern Virginia's signature dishes which I'll always remember here with fondness.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cooter said:

Well, this is a bummer.

"Minh Vietnamese Restaurant on Wilson Blvd. has Closed" by Adrian Cruz on arlnow.com

3 hours ago, dcs said:

Note to self:  Always own your building if at all possible.  I am sure that was has allowed Nam Viet to survive even after being hemmed in on both sides and on a side street.  Of course, Clarendon looked a lot different back when they opened.  Just ask Phyllis Richman.

3 hours ago, Genevieve said:

Oh nooo!!!!!!!!!

We loved Minh's.  Really delicious food, huge menu, nice people.

Glad to hear Nam Viet owns its own building.

Big bummer at this corner of the DMV, which is down the street from Minh's.  Lunch time Minh's was one of my go to places, usually for pho. Beyond that they had many excellent mains. 

One thing I'd been told in the last year from someone who knows the owners, was that business at Minh's had been slow for a while.  I guess this has been "in the works" regardless of rents.  I'd spoken with one of the owners over the last year.  Business is tough.  Regardless of how well things are in the kitchen there are so many difficult hurdles to bringing people in the door, maintaining a visible profile, and they were struggling on that front. 

Man:  That ownership thing has been a lfesaver kind of thing in areas of the DC region and there is a great example in NYC with Katz's deli...but its not true everywhere.  Go to significant parts of the rust belt and rents haven't changed in "forever".  Just sayin. 

Very sorry to hear this about Minh's.  Good restaurant...the wife partner of the ownership is nicer than nice.  Very sad.

• Like 1

I used to go about once a month back in the day when kids were not in the loop. I always enjoyed the service and food and felt that it was a hidden gem. It's in a weird part of that corridor which often people drive past and just miss on their way up Wilson Blvd. they say location is everything in this business and I have always remarked that you can simply just be on the wrong side of the street or corner and struggle. If there was a street signal at that corner I bet Minh's would have done more robust business over the years. It's a shame it's gone.

• Like 3

On July 27, 2016 at 9:33 AM, powderfinger said:

This is a shame - Minh's has long been one of my favorite restaurants in the neighborhood. The food was excellent, the ambiance was pretty good, and the prices were right. It was one of our go-to places to have a big, nice meal on a budget.

I second this, more so as colder weather has hit.  Minhs was the nearby pho restaurant during lunch for several folks with whom I work.

And the mains were often excellent.  Big loss.

• Like 2