Carolina Wine Company in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

It's been discussed at quite some length on eBob and on a local blog (Varmint Bites). The closing of Caroline Wine Company isn't the largest blow in the world to me (though understand that others had extensive orders outstanding and would be very mad in their position). However, the larger blow to me is that it took Enoteca Vin down with it since the same guy (Chrish Peel) was an owner in both. I mourn the loss of Enoteca Vin much more than the loss of Caroline Wine Company.

This is a sad day.

I met Chrish Peel here in D.C. ages ago, probably 17(+?) years ago, just after David Schildknecht left Pearson's, and he introduced him to me at an event at New Heights.

I almost went down to visit him to ask for a job, I'd actually called Chrish about it. Ultimately, I didn't want to move to North Carolina. D.C. is my home.

Many times, I've referred customers to Carolina Wine Company, especially if they needed to ship a wine gift to someone in North Carolina quickly. Since we do almost no shipping, and CWC did it every single day, it just seemed to make sense, especially where time was concerned, and it better ensured that the wine wouldn't be damaged by heat in transit.

How I wish it were only chapter 11 proceedings.

R.I.P. to the best wine shop in the south and one of the best in the whole country.

This is a sad day.

I met Chrish Peel here in D.C. ages ago, probably 17(+?) years ago, just after David Schildknecht left Pearson's, and he introduced him to me at an event at New Heights.

I almost went down to visit him to ask for a job, I'd actually called Chrish about it. Ultimately, I didn't want to move to North Carolina. D.C. is my home.

Many times, I've referred customers to Carolina Wine Company, especially if they needed to ship a wine gift to someone in North Carolina quickly. Since we do almost no shipping, and CWC did it every single day, it just seemed to make sense, especially where time was concerned, and it better ensured that the wine wouldn't be damaged by heat in transit.

How I wish it were only chapter 11 proceedings.

R.I.P. to the best wine shop in the south and one of the best in the whole country.

It was, Joe. They sold me-an absolute unknown who had never bought from them before-two cases of Schild Estate Shiraz '04 at a 15% discount. I don't know what that sounds like but it was an extraordinary gesture. This wine was something like $19 and 96 points from the WS. They were probably the only place in America that had it or, at the least, the only place that was willing to sell their allocation to a stranger who was not a good customer. This scored serious brownie points with me!!!

I am really sad to see them go.

But there are going to be others. I'm going to put another post on here in a few minutes about an extraordinary value that I've found from the Wine Chateau who are now discounting some wine 40-50% and not charging shipping or state sales tax. The Wine Library has a special today for a $78 Argentinian red, Poesia 2003, which they are selling for $29. And there are more.

I've never seen discounts like this.

Should I also mention the $486 ticket (all taxes, gate charges, etc. included) that I just bought from United for a trip to Munich from Dulles in the middle of May for my business? They had a cheaper itinerary if I was willing to go via London: $430. Serious. This means the actual round trip ticket between Dulles and Munich was about $198. For the middle of May.

I've never seen discounts like this. In 30 years of heavy travel.

When I read that Le Paradou and the Willard's restaurant are closing I wonder who else is next?