Kingklip Fish/Eel

Mrs. B

Seen the latest issue of Smithsonian Magazine? It sort of looks like the missing link in the evolutionary chain of four-legged, terrestrial mammals to whales.

And while I am not Barton Seaver, I would caution you to buy something else. The South African Sustainable Seafood Initiative, as recently as this past November, called kingklip an exploited species. Reference here.

I've only ever seen it in restaurants in South Africa. I recall it being very good. Can't speak to the sustainability issues. But its a really ugly looking fish. Are they selling it whole at Harris Teeter?

Fillets. The link I posted said it's not just fished in S. Africa. I might check HT's sourcing. Would that make a difference from a sustainablity POV? I never found any link besides S. Af. caught fish and the no-no list.

Fillets. The link I posted said it's not just fished in S. Africa. I might check HT's sourcing. Would that make a difference from a sustainablity POV? I never found any link besides S. Af. caught fish and the no-no list.

My South African husband grew up on it and it is his favorite fish. It was certainly the best fish n chips I had ever tasted --in Capetown.