Jackson's Roasting and Carving Company, Arlington - Closed.

The Cuban sandwich at Cuba de Ayer in Burtonsville is pretty authentic according to my Miami-born wife.

Hands down the best sandwich is at Jackson's Roasting & Carving Co. in Arlington.

They roast all their meats in house and carve to order. Nothing fancy, just straight forward and delicious!

Tim Carman is a big fan- especially of their Reubens: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/y...and-carving-co/

And they make a mean Cuban!!

Hands down the best sandwich is at Jackson's Roasting & Carving Co. in Arlington.

They roast all their meats in house and carve to order. Nothing fancy, just straight forward and delicious!

Tim Carman is a big fan- especially of their Reubens: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/y...and-carving-co/

And they make a mean Cuban!!

Does Jackson's Roasting & Carving have seating? Thanks.

I've never eaten at Jackson's, but they catered an event I attended last fall. The food was really poor and that incident has prevented me from going there. I really should give them another chance. But the cold sandwiches and salads they served at the event were,a t best, equivalent to what you'd get at Giant. If I decide to give them a try I will report back.

I've never eaten at Jackson's, but they catered an event I attended last fall. The food was really poor and that incident has prevented me from going there. I really should give them another chance. But the cold sandwiches and salads they served at the event were,a t best, equivalent to what you'd get at Giant. If I decide to give them a try I will report back.

Wow. That's such a shame to hear. Every time I've been there, the sandwiches have been top notch. I would recommend giving it another try.

I got what I think they call the Amazin' Panini. It was pretty darn good. Smoked pit ham on pumpernickel, with pepper jack, cole slaw and pickles. The pit ham was thick cut and so tender it melted in my mouth. Also tried some of the herb roasted turkey. It was fresh and good, but a little dry for my tastes. The sandwiches are fairly priced at $7.50 - $8.50 each, I suppose, though it is $1.00 each extra to add bacon, cole slaw, sauerkraut, or guacamole to a sandwich. They also charge $1.00 to panini grill any standard sandwich.

In addition to the ham and turkey, the daily roast meat offerings include beer-braised corned beef, herb roasted top round of beef, and homemade meatloaf.

Headed here today in search of the Cuban mentioned by OP. Too bad, it's not on the menu -- it's a special. They don't roast the pork every day. The manager behind the counter thinks he will do pork on Friday this week, and the Cuban will be offered.

But what I saw was luscious -- real slabs of roasted ham, turkey and roast beef, looking juicy and tender, and with nice whisps of steam coming off of them. A nice meatloaf was sitting next to them on the cutting board too. I ordered the club, which was turkey and ham and bacon, with my choices of toppings. I had the LTO with pepper jack and chipotle sauce, along with sliced banana peppers. The sub roll was fresh. This was a knockout sandwich for $8.50.

I'll probably be back for a Cuban. Problem is, the few times I'm in the Virginia Square area for lunch, El Pollo Rico is too close.

These posts have spurred me into adding Jackson's back into the lunch rotation and frankly I can't really understand why it ever got dropped. Simple but very well executed sandwiches with high quality ingredients. One thing I didn't see mentioned which I've always noticed is the service aspect; from the slicing of the meats to the careful placement of toppings, the people preparing the sandwiches seem to care about the final product in a way that I just don't see as often as I would like.

As for the specific sandwiches, their Reuben is excellent but heavy as is the corned beef on its own (today's choice). I did have the Cuban mentioned above and it was good; the pork was a touch drier than I would have hoped and the mayo too much but certainly something I'll order again (with no mayo). Their roast beef is something that deserves mention as well; when a just cut roast is on the station, I can't help but order it.

I used to work at Virginia Square in the mid-90s, and all we really had for lunch was the sandwich counter on the first floor of our building. With Jackson's and El Pollo Rico within walking distance, if I worked there now I would weight 50lbs more than I already do!

I went today in the mood for the wonderful roast turkey, only to find Jackson's is closed. The website is still up, but the place didn't look like it was ever going to reopen.

Big 'ole LEASE sign in the window when I passed this evening. Too bad.