The Pit Stop, Ron and Glynis Thomas' Roadside Barbecue on Route 50 and 15 in Gilberts Corner

Most Every Sunday, I take the motorcycle and head out to Middleburg and beyond to enjoy the great country roads and scenery. Every Sunday, I also pass this small, family run BBQ stand in Aldie, Va, that is set up on the side of the road at the intersection of Route 15 and Route 50..also known as Gilberts Corner. There is also a vendor that sells popcorn, jellies, and kettle corn from Cactoctin Corn in Leesburg. There is also a guy selling Maine lobsters and seafood from a truck.

Each time I ride out to the area is around 11 am and my buddies and I ride for most of the day and usually end up at the Red Horse Tavern for drinks and a bite after a day of riding, along with every other biker out there laugh.gif

So Yesterday, we wrapped up a little early at around 4:30 and I decided to stop at the stand. I walked up to the tent and was very warmly greeted by every family member. I told them this was my first time and that I ride by every Sunday, but cant really carry much on my bike or that they are closed when I pass back by. As luck would have it, they were sold out of EVERYTHING except 1 rack of pork ribs that was just finishing up on the grill tongue.gif SOLD!!!!!
As he was chopping and double wrapping my ribs for the ride home, another 3-5 people rode up and we basically out of luck. I thought about offering them to the highest bidder..but decided to keep them for my self.

AM I GLAD I DID!!!!!!!!! Holy mother of BBQ...these ribs were simply AMAZING....cooked to perfection, spiced just right and a sauce that is to die for..also pretty darn spicy as well wink.gif I paid $23 for the rack which was a good sized one as well. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

They also offer chicken, pulled pork BBQ sandwich, and 3 sides- cole slaw, baked beans and potato salad. None of which I got to try, but I will bet the farm that they are good. The chicken is $13. for a half, $6. for a pork sandwich, $23 for rack of ribs and $2.50 for each side. I'm sure they sell the sauce as well, becuase if they dont..I'm going to bottle it for them!!!!

They are only open Fri, Sat and Sun usually from 11-dark..or until they run out of food. The husband(whose name escapes me) starts cooking at 7 am, so the ribs wont be ready until 11 or so. They will also allow you to call and place an order that they will hold for you. A husband and wife own the business and are always present with the family working there as well. I spoke with Glynis Thomas this morning, as I felt compelled to tell her how much I enjoyed the ribs and sauce.. I have rarely been moved enough to actually call or post about certian food items...but BBQ is a very HOT topic and these ribs my friends MOVED ME enough to write about them tongue.gif

STOP eating the local crap around here that tries to pass for BBQ and drive your butts out to Aldie for some REAL BBQ.

I am enclosing their contact info as well:

The PIT STOP
Glynis Thomas
703-944-3611
GLYNIS@NSTARLLC.com

You can call her for info and to pre order

I grew up in Middleburg and I wished I still lived there right now wink.gif

I should have added that they just started the operation in October..so maybe thats why :D

Yep, that would probably be why. I probably haven't been out that way since our CSA farm closed for the year last October. Maybe we'll give this place a try once we start heading back out there in a couple weeks.

I stopped by a few months back and was one of those guys who was out of luck as they had just run out. Gonna have to come up with an excuse to get out there again. How does the place compare to something like dixie bones? (best local ribs IMO since Ben's left us).

I stopped by a few months back and was one of those guys who was out of luck as they had just run out. Gonna have to come up with an excuse to get out there again. How does the place compare to something like dixie bones? (best local ribs IMO since Ben's left us).

Honestly....There is no comparison, and I used to like DBONES, but consistency is an issue ....Pit Stop blows them away!!! Flavorful, meaty, juicy, smoky and spiced just right.

Most Every Sunday, I take the motorcycle and head out to Middleburg and beyond to enjoy the great country roads and scenery. Every Sunday, I also pass this small, family run BBQ stand in Aldie, Va, that is set up on the side of the road at the intersection of Route 15 and Route 50..also known as Gilberts Corner. There is also a vendor that sells popcorn, jellies, and kettle corn from Cactoctin Corn in Leesburg. There is also a guy selling Maine lobsters and seafood from a truck.

Each time I ride out to the area is around 11 am and my buddies and I ride for most of the day and usually end up at the Red Horse Tavern for drinks and a bite after a day of riding, along with every other biker out there :D

So Yesterday, we wrapped up a little early at around 4:30 and I decided to stop at the stand. I walked up to the tent and was very warmly greeted by every family member. I told them this was my first time and that I ride by every Sunday, but cant really carry much on my bike or that they are closed when I pass back by. As luck would have it, they were sold out of EVERYTHING except 1 rack of pork ribs that was just finishing up on the grill :P SOLD!!!!!

As he was chopping and double wrapping my ribs for the ride home, another 3-5 people rode up and we basically out of luck. I thought about offering them to the highest bidder..but decided to keep them for my self.

AM I GLAD I DID!!!!!!!!! Holy mother of BBQ...these ribs were simply AMAZING....cooked to perfection, spiced just right and a sauce that is to die for..also pretty darn spicy as well :blink: I paid $23 for the rack which was a good sized one as well. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

They also offer chicken, pulled pork BBQ sandwich, and 3 sides- cole slaw, baked beans and potato salad. None of which I got to try, but I will bet the farm that they are good. The chicken is $13. for a half, $6. for a pork sandwich, $23 for rack of ribs and $2.50 for each side. I'm sure they sell the sauce as well, becuase if they dont..I'm going to bottle it for them!!!!

They are only open Fri, Sat and Sun usually from 11-dark..or until they run out of food. The husband(whose name escapes me) starts cooking at 7 am, so the ribs wont be ready until 11 or so. They will also allow you to call and place an order that they will hold for you. A husband and wife own the business and are always present with the family working there as well. I spoke with Glynis Thomas this morning, as I felt compelled to tell her how much I enjoyed the ribs and sauce.. I have rarely been moved enough to actually call or post about certian food items...but BBQ is a very HOT topic and these ribs my friends MOVED ME enough to write about them :P

STOP eating the local crap around here that tries to pass for BBQ and drive your butts out to Aldie for some REAL BBQ.

I am enclosing their contact info as well:

The PIT STOP

Glynis Thomas

703-944-3611

GLYNIS@NSTARLLC.com

You can call her for info and to pre order

I grew up in Middleburg and I wished I still lived there right now :(

Whoa, this is big news. We live about 6 miles east of Gilberts Corners, near South Riding. We are regular patrons of the produce guy who parks there -- he has great strawberries. I was planning a rib run to Paeonian Springs, where the former Mighty Midget guy now sells his amazing ribs as B'z Barbecue. But this would be so much easier. Saturday will be rib day at my house!

Whoa, this is big news. We live about 6 miles east of Gilberts Corners, near South Riding. We are regular patrons of the produce guy who parks there -- he has great strawberries. I was planning a rib run to Paeonian Springs, where the former Mighty Midget guy now sells his amazing ribs as B'z Barbecue. But this would be so much easier. Saturday will be rib day at my house!

I did make a rib run to Gilberts Corners and it was worth it. We got 1.5 slabs of ribs, potato salad, cole slaw, and two tubs of sauce. Everything homemade. The ribs were excellent. Very meaty, juicy and moist on the inside. The potato salad was really good. Twinsmommy thought the coleslaw was a little gloopy, but it had great flavor. The sauce was on the tangy side, a bit sweet but not too sweet for my taste. Not too hot for anyone who is hot sauce-averse. Good balance of flavors. My daughter loved dipping the meat into the sauce.

All in all, a great addition to the neighborhood.

Also, the produce guy had some great strawberries from North Carolina, so we got two tubs of those as well.

There's also a nut guy whose offerings include kettle corn as well.

There's road work ongoing at Gilberts Corners -- new roundabouts being installed -- but at least for now it doesn't impede access to the vendors, unless you're on 50 heading west and you want to go south on 15. Those people will have to go out of their way a bit for now.

Holy mother of BBQ...these ribs were simply AMAZING....cooked to perfection, spiced just right and a sauce that is to die for..also pretty darn spicy as well :D I paid $23 for the rack which was a good sized one as well. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!
I did make a rib run to Gilberts Corners and it was worth it. We got 1.5 slabs of ribs, potato salad, cole slaw, and two tubs of sauce. Everything homemade. The ribs were excellent. Very meaty, juicy and moist on the inside. The potato salad was really good. Twinsmommy thought the coleslaw was a little gloopy, but it had great flavor. The sauce was on the tangy side, a bit sweet but not too sweet for my taste. Not too hot for anyone who is hot sauce-averse. Good balance of flavors. My daughter loved dipping the meat into the sauce.

All in all, a great addition to the neighborhood.

I agree with both happyguy and Twinsdaddy. The ribs are as advertised, but I want to put in a plug for the chicken too. Ron came over with a little breast meat on a napkin, and basically said, 'everyone thinks white-meat chicken is tough, but that's because they haven't tried mine.' Thirteen dollars is a lot of money for a half-chicken, but boy these chickens are smoked well. Glynis brought over samples of the potato salad and coleslaw, and I'm glad she did - I wasn't going to waste my time with starch and vegetables (unless you consider BBQ sauce a vegetable), but both these sides are worth getting, and actually complement the meats rather than merely acting as filler.

These are wonderful, friendly people putting out a great product. At one point, their polite young son even walked up and offered me a napkin. They had just run out of chopped pork sandwiches, and a guy walking up to order one almost fainted. I advise calling ahead to reserve your order - I had called ahead today and successfully reserved two racks of ribs. Tomorrow, Sunday on Memorial Day weekend, should be a perfect day to make the trip out to Gilberts Corner, so get there early and be hungry.

We now have a fourth point, a place for gephyrophobic Northern Virginia residents to find good Q - we have Johnny Boys to the south, KBQ to the east, Chubby's to the north ... and we now have The Pit Stop to the west, completing Washington DC's quadrilateral of smokeitude.

Whoa, this is big news. We live about 6 miles east of Gilberts Corners, near South Riding.

There's an interesting little drama going on in South Riding, with two competing roadside pupuserias less than a quarter-mile apart. Who will win the war between Cerrito's Pupuseria and Pupuseria Hernandez? Twinsdaddy, please keep us posted.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Went here for a late lunch today. Had the ribs and baked beans. 21 for a full rack. 2.50 for a side of beans. Both were very good. The ribs are larger and meatier than dixie bones, a little smokier and not quite as tender. That being said, its the best BBQ for miles.

There is a another stand that is set up near pleasant valley road. I am not sure if they are related to this one. Has anyone tried it?

There's an interesting little drama going on in South Riding, with two competing roadside pupuserias less than a quarter-mile apart. Who will win the war between Cerrito's Pupuseria and Pupuseria Hernandez? Twinsdaddy, please keep us posted.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Rocks, I'm planning a pupusa smackdown. As a pupusa newbie, I'll have no preconceived notions.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know if they sell half rack of ribs? All the comments/reviews I've read have made me really hungry to try their food, but there's no way I would be able to finish off a full rack :D Thanks.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know if they sell half rack of ribs? All the comments/reviews I've read have made me really hungry to try their food, but there's no way I would be able to finish off a full rack :blink: Thanks.

There is no dumb question.....other than "do you have a nice White Zinfandel" :D

Yes...they sell them by the half as well. They will be there Sunday, but go early or call to place and guarantee your order. I was there at 3 today and they only had 6 more racks of ribs (3 of which were mine). They had sold out of the BBQ sandwich and the Chicken, as well as the cole slaw. I did get a BB beans and a potato salad....Both were Excellent

There is no dumb question.....other than "do you have a nice White Zinfandel" :D

Yes...they sell them by the half as well. They will be there Sunday, but go early or call to place and guarantee your order. I was there at 3 today and they only had 6 more racks of ribs (3 of which were mine). They had sold out of the BBQ sandwich and the Chicken, as well as the cole slaw. I did get a BB beans and a potato salad....Both were Excellent

When I went the previous week,after getting one rack and not being sure of how much we could eat, I just asked, can I buy a half rack too? He said sure, took his cleaver, and presto, half rack. $23 for a full rack, $13 for the half rack. Sides are $2.50 per.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I tried the one in the Chevron gas station when they just opened up. Wasn't great but it has potential. I talked with the owner and she had just opened the place up. The other one is in the old BJ's crab shack space. I have not tried them since they changed hands.

I tried the one in the Chevron gas station when they just opened up. Wasn't great but it has potential. I talked with the owner and she had just opened the place up. The other one is in the old BJ's crab shack space. I have not tried them since they changed hands.

There's also a Latino food truck that is often parked around the corner on Elk Lick Rd. Maybe they have pupusas too, and we could make it a three-way smackdown.

Just got back from a day of riding and had called Ron earlier today to hold my order for me. Got the last rack of ribs and a couple of potatoe salads..HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually started working on bottling Ron's sauce for him....we are going to call it "Holy Mother of BBQ" :D sauce.

Ron had sold out of everything by 3:45 today...45 racks of ribs alone!!!!

Glad some of you are making it out there to pick up his BBQ...It is simply the best around.

Just a heads up to anyone heading out there... 50 West is closed right before Gilbert's Corner. Do not be discouraged! Just follow the detour to the left and make a right on 15.

I can't imagine the closure is good for business... we stopped there at 12:30 yesterday and were the only ones there. :D

Half a rack, half a chicken, potato salad, and two waters for $30. Smelling like BBQ for the rest of the day: priceless.

I've tried everything so far except for the sausage... that will be next weekend!

Tried the Pit Stop for a second time this weekend. I got a small container of pulled pork (a little pricey at 10 bucks, I suspect the sandwich has the same ammount of meat.) and a half rack of ribs for 13. The ribs were better than last time. Not as smokey and a little more tender. I still wouldn't rank them over Dixie Bones which I last visited a month ago. They were also not as good as the ribs that you used to get at Ben's Whole Hog BBQ back in the day. They are good ribs, just not great.

The pulled pork was quite good. I would rank it a solid 7.5-8 out of 10.

The news here is that the Pit Stop may have some competition.

On saturday while running errands I stopped by the BBQ stand at the intersection of Pleasant Valley and 50 behind the yellow building, next to the car dealership. I had a pulled pork sandwich (6 bucks) which may have been one of the best that I've had. I'd rank it a good solid 9 out of 10. I actually went back yesterday at one and he was already closing up shop. He had sold out of everything. I will be back in two weeks to try the ribs so we can have a full comparison. As it stands now, I like this stand's pulled pork better than the Pit Stop. Prices seem a little lower too. Look for a full review in two weeks.

It was a crazy bitter cold wind blowing in our area on Sunday and even colder out in Middleburg. I went out to check on a couple of our horses and called to see if Ron might be out there cooking as well. Sure enough, he and his son were out there in their Uhaul keeping warm while the BBQ was smoking!!!!!! Due to the weather of the past month, this was his first time out in 4 weeks. But he said that if you tell people that your going to be out on the weekends throught the winter then you have to show up and be true to your word. Sales were slow, but people were out there buying what I seriously consider to be the best ribs and sides in the area...STILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has also made a new smoked chicken salad that is quite tasty. If you want the best ribs and chicken available in the area..do yourself a favor and drive out on Sat or Sunday and support a genuine guy who loves what he does. Call ahead if you want tomake sure he is there and to hold an order.

The news here is that the Pit Stop may have some competition.

On saturday while running errands I stopped by the BBQ stand at the intersection of Pleasant Valley and 50 behind the yellow building, next to the car dealership. I had a pulled pork sandwich (6 bucks) which may have been one of the best that I've had. I'd rank it a good solid 9 out of 10. I actually went back yesterday at one and he was already closing up shop. He had sold out of everything. I will be back in two weeks to try the ribs so we can have a full comparison. As it stands now, I like this stand's pulled pork better than the Pit Stop. Prices seem a little lower too. Look for a full review in two weeks.

Did you ever go back to the yellow house? I checked it out 2 weeks ago based on your recommendation and it was just Pollo A La Brasa.

The guy seems to have moved on. Its a shame because he was good. I tried the Pollo a la brasa. It wasn't bad.

You sir, are misinformed ;) I don't know when you were out there last but Ron is still out there on Saturdays and Sunday's not withstanding a blizzard or really bad weather. He was sold out of food by 4 pm this Sunday and packed up by 4:30pm. Rest assured that he will be out there most every weekend...so don't be eating any other BBQ because he is out there grilling away. PS the smoked chicken salad is to die for!!!!!!

When in doubt folks....CALL RON and reserve an order or ASK when he will be out there

You sir, are misinformed ;) I don't know when you were out there last but Ron is still out there on Saturdays and Sunday's not withstanding a blizzard or really bad weather. He was sold out of food by 4 pm this Sunday and packed up by 4:30pm. Rest assured that he will be out there most every weekend...so don't be eating any other BBQ because he is out there grilling away. PS the smoked chicken salad is to die for!!!!!!

When in doubt folks....CALL RON and reserve an order or ASK when he will be out there

[This is what I get for not splitting the thread, but I didn't know what the hell to CALL it... "The Yellow House?"]

[This is what I get for not splitting the thread, but I didn't know what the hell to CALL it... "The Yellow House?"]

Ah, it seems like we will never get the chance to know!

I love Ron's stuff though. I was just out there Sunday morning hanging out with him and his son in the early morning. I just had to see for myself what another person thought could rival it!

Happy Eating!

This is a great find. Delicious pulled pork and chicken. (Ron was out of ribs by 3:00.) Worth changing your route to swing by here. He says that he's now open on Saturdays and Sundays from very early in the a.m. until things run out. Greatest Maine Lobster Co. is there, too, but Crystal's Cookies is no longer.

Dropped by The Pit Stop today around 1pm; steady business it seemed and a writer/photographer was there from Northern Virginia Magazine...so expect a nice write up at soon. I ordered a 1/2 rack of ribs ($13) and a pork sandwich ($6 sans slaw) plus a gatorade ($1). The picnic table was full, so I just drove home. I poked at the pulled pork at stop lights. Wow, pretty good. I'm from Eastern NC, so I'm biased...but this was good Q. Sure, it had lots of sauce, but its a great flavor. Nice smoke, and quality meat. Half the pulled pork I saved for dinner and once I got home, I immediately attacked the ribs. Yes, they travel well...still very warm. Again, great smoke, excellent sauce and meaty. I don't eat ribs often, but recently had Hill Country's ribs. Yikes, there's no comparison. I'll never eat ribs at a restaurant again.

I think the pulled pork was probably the best I've had in NOVA. Better than Willards, and likely better than B'z...but its been awhile since I've had B'z..so I need to try them again earlier in the day than before. The Pit Stop is a must try if you're a BBQ fan. Follow them on Facebook to make sure they're smoking.

is the pit stop open on week days as well.

The other place on rt 50 and pleasent valley still open?

Soup

No....Ron runs the Pit Stop on Saturday and Sunday only....he is out there by 6am and first food is usually ready by 10:30...hbe usually runs out of ribs by 3-3:30

As for the other place on 50/Pleasant Valley..No they closed a while ago

Go to Pit Stop...often...you'll never want for the mediocre crap in this area ever again B)

We were meeting some friends up at Hillsborough Vineyards so we stopped here to pick up some lunch for our picnic. Sure glad we did as the food was the highlight of the day, despite the decent wine offerings and setting. We feasted on ribs (excellent), chicken (excellent), and some chopped pork (a bit dry but decent) along with a bottle of the Ruby which went well. The wife and I will certainly be stopping here again, I just wish it was closer to home.

Had the pleasure to stop by yesterday and not only pick up a Xmas tree from the lot where Ron BBQ's his magic, but also loaded up on some Ribs and Chicken....To my surprise, Ron has now bottled his Amazing BBQ Sauce for sale and added a Hot version...so I bought a few bottles each and ordered a dozen more so that I can give them out as Xmas gifts. I am now going through the fridge and dipping everything in these sauces :D

Get ur butts up there and get some of that sauce!!!!

Finally after 3 months of living in Loudoun I was able to sync up with The Pit Stop at lunch today. It is as advertised, fabulous. Personally I find two things excellent, the chopped pork and the sauce. Holy cow. The mild sauce is great.

Very good are the spareribs. It's a little more "toothy" than my personal preference, but it is a personal preference. The sauce is put on after the fact, and you can request the ribs dry.

Definitely pay attention to facebook, and if you are travelling from far away call ahead. They had sold out on two separate occasions that I wanted to try it. They run Fridays now in addition to the weekends.

Is Saturday around noon a good time to hit them up? Sunday noon-ish?

You know, when I missed them the last time, they said folks started stopping by for chopped pork at 8am(!) on the weekend.

Noon you should be safe though. After 2 I would think is pushing it. Today they were saying they rarely make it past 3, though they are working on it. This is on the weekend though, I'm sure Friday, especially since they just started, is a different story.

I've been probably half a dozen times and really think this place is great. The ribs are really good, the chicken is fantastic, as are the kale greens and smoked chicken salad (expensive but excellent). The pulled pork sandwich was disappointing though, just go for their ribs and chicken.

This place is increasingly popular - plan on a 20+ minute wait.

Latest prices:

Full slab of ribs - $25

Half slab of ribs - $15

Whole chicken - $20

Half chicken - $10

Smoked chicken salad - $10

Kale greens - $3

I've been probably half a dozen times and really think this place is great. The ribs are really good, the chicken is fantastic, as are the kale greens and smoked chicken salad (expensive but excellent). The pulled pork sandwich was disappointing though, just go for their ribs and chicken.

This place is increasingly popular - plan on a 20+ minute wait.

Latest prices:

Full slab of ribs - $25

Half slab of ribs - $15

Whole chicken - $20

Half chicken - $10

Smoked chicken salad - $10

Kale greens - $3

Just a brief word that, to the best of my knowledge, The Pit Stop is still open in the winter. Note their Facebook page updates - could anything go better with a football game?

• Like 2