Bombay Curry Company, Beloved Curry House in Del Ray - Closed

I recently asked bbhasin what was good these days at Bombay Curry Company, and he sent me quite a detailed response. I thought it was too good to waste on one person, so I asked for his permission to reprint it. Here it is, in its entirety:

Cheers,
Rocks.

The menu is not too elaborate, as some Indian restaurants go, and comprises of some of the traditional ' comfort foods' like butter chicken, korma, vindaloo etc. which I am sure you may have tried elsewhere. Focus instead on things you may not find elsewhere.

For starters try the chicken wings, marinated and charcoal broiled in the tandoor oven. The Bhel Puri, a melange of puffed rice, savoury indian noodles, diced onion & chopped cilantro mixed with our sweet & spicy tamarind chutney. Great textures & flavors.

I would also recommend the Shammi kabab, little griddle fried patties 'of almost pate`consistancy' ground beef and split yellow lentils. Our samosa filling is also a bit different, you will feel the tanginess from the dried mago powder. Do not ignore the little Kachumbar salad

For your dinner Try the chicken Kadai, hot and spicy, chunks of chicken stir fried in kadai(heavy wok) with crushed dried red chilles, cilantro seeds, chopped ginger and garlic and then finished in a thick tomato sauce with fresh cilantro and dried fenugreek leaves.

Pathar Kabab- is a pounded lamb scallopine marinated and flash grilled on the griddle. Tradionally the shephards cooked it on the hot stones around their campfire.

The Fish curry is Cubes of Cod loin simmered in a curried creamy sauce with coconut, mustard seeds, curry leaves and toasted chilly peppers. I think the Bombay Curry Company does a very good job with the biryanis, almost like fried rice. Chooza kabab is skewered marinated chicken chunks with onion tomato and pepper, grilled, served on abed of steamed rice topped with a curried sauce. Was very popular at a New Delhi restaurant I worked 30 years ago.

But then, food is relative, different things appeal differently to different people. I think our butter chicken is the best around. Jeff Tunks likes it as he mentioned in the Washingtonian, Jim the chef from RT's down the street gets it without fail but my friend's 13 year old says it tastes like tomato soup, I could kill him! The lady from Bistrot Lafayette likes the Lamb in the curried spinach. Mike, who worked for Roberto Donna and now has his own place La Lucia(I think) in Alexandria loves the Tandoori Chicken and if its not on the sunday buffet when he comes in, we have to do some to keep the peace.

So go figure.

For your dinner Try the chicken Kadai, hot and spicy, chunks of chicken stir fried in kadai(heavy wok) with crushed dried red chilles, cilantro seeds, chopped ginger and garlic and then finished in a thick tomato sauce with fresh cilantro and dried fenugreek leaves.

The chicken Kadai is one of the best Indian dishes I've tried. I love spicy food, and this one will really make you sweat.

Rocks, when it comes to Bombay Curry Company my only response is Yes, Please. I often crave their butter chicken and Korma. But he under sells the wings. They simply kick ass. They have a little kick to them, but are a must have to start all the dinners that I have there. I have not had the Chicken Kadai, but will the next time I visit. I just wish that I could convince my wife to agree to ordering the fish curry (hopefully soon).

I notice that he does not mention the breads. I find that they are quite good. There is one that has onions baked into it that I absolutely love (sorry I cannot remember the name). The Naan is also well done, it is light with a pleasent crispy bottom, and a soft top.

Tonight my wife and I made another delightful stop by Bombay Curry Club. We started with our usual order of Tandoori wings. And followed that with the above mentioned Chicken Kadai, and the Korma. On the side we added some Major Grey’s, cucumber raita, and an onion kulcha.

The wings were as good as could be expected. When they arrived to the table searing hot, I grabbed on of the wing section, and used a knife and fork to split them apart. At this point bbhasin noticed this and came over to check on why someone was eating his delightful wings with a knife and fork. I assured him that I was only using the utensils to keep from blistering my fingers. These wings were as good as ever.

Since we were going to be trying the Kadai, my wife asked that we get something not hot. So we decided to order the Korma. It is not my first choice, but it was as serviceable as ever. Then game the Kadai, it starts off mild and flavorful, and then suddenly you can feel the beads of sweat appear on your forehead. The flavors are as complex as you will find in any dish, Indian or not. My wife and I found that mixing a bit of the raita, rice and cutney with a bite of chicken brought about an even greater level of complexity. I know that this is hearsay, but damn is it good.

Bbhasin informed us that they are planning on tweaking the menu in the coming months. They are going to try out some of the new dishes on the Sunday buffets.

Then game the Kadai, it starts off mild and flavorful, and then suddenly you can feel the beads of sweat appear on your forehead.  The flavors are as complex as you will find in any dish, Indian or not.

Sometimes it doesn't hit you how hot this dish is until you stop. So, I suggest never stopping. This dish is very hot, but not just for the sake of being hot. It IS complex and keeps you on your toes. If you enjoy roller coaster rides, order this stuff! Joe H could sell buckets of it! :lol:

Mark your calanders Dec 19th, Bombay Curry Company shall donate 50% of all sales that day to the Animal Wefare League Of Alexandria.

So, take a break from your seasonal shopping and help the wonderful folks at the shelter.

See you there.

bhasin

I went to Bombay Curry this evening for a bite after attending a holiday party at a fellow DonRockewieler's home.

I'm not a maven of Indian food but I can't believe I have lived for years only a few blocks from this gem and have never tried it. It just so happens that my dinner consisted of many of the things Chef Bhasin describes in the opening post. The bhel puri was incredible, great crunchy textures and pungent flavors. The shammi kabab had more of a pate mousse consistency also with some spicy flavors accompanied by a yoghurt sauce.

The Pathar Kabab reminded me of the lamb minute steak that used to be on the menu at Firefly; really f'''n good. The only miss was the Dal Makhani, black lentils simmered overnight with spices. There was nothing wrong with the lentils, I guess I was just expecting a bolder flavor profile. The naan was perfect though. If you live in the area, this place is worth putting into your regular rotation.

I found myself today in Old Town Alexandria at 11:30, having an appointment in Ballston at 1:15. I traced a line on my map and found Bombay Curry Company was right on the way.

I'd been there once with my +1 for the Sunday buffet, but this was a solo flight. I have to say that I am a Scoville wimp, and until recently spent my life avoiding "spicy" food. OK, I'm not as bad as my mother, who has been observed rinsing the Old Bay off of her hard crabs before cracking them, but you get the idea.

Based on comments up-thread, I ordered the Butter Chicken, with Naan and Cucumber Raita accompanying. My drink choice was spiced tea.

Wow Wow Wowie Wow Wow!!! :)

This was a wonderful lunch! The tea was delicious, and I wish I knew what the spices are. The Butter Chicken was a symphony in my mouth.

Crisp in some places and pillowy in others, the Naan was a perfect accompaniment, and a perfect vehicle for the raita (as was the salad on the plate with the Butter Chicken.

I've eaten dishes in other restaurants where the multiplicity of flavors have amounted to a cacophony. What I can say about my lunch is that the flavors were a symphony. OK, I said that already, but it's what keeps coming to mind.

The service was perfect, too!

I'm thinking of the other restaurants on my way between Old Town and Ballston--there are a few I am looking forward to enjoying, but I will have to pay a return visit to Bombay Curry Company!

Bump!

I have just finished the Sunday Buffet at Bombay Curry Company. Hub and kids picked me up at the airport and after reading these reviews, I thought I'd try it.

While the food wasn't bad, the service was horrendous. It absolutely had to qualify as one of the worst service experiences ever. Our waiter spoke maybe three words to us, did not ask us if we wanted drinks, desserts, etc...He brought out the check before we were finished. While we eventually were able to order desserts, they were brought out one at a time five mintues apart. And some of them were even the same item! No explanation, just set down in front of us without a word. A smile did not grace his dour face even once.

Honestly he probably did us a favor bringing the check so quick, as I couldn't wait to get of there!

Edited by RaisaB

Bump!

I have just finished the Sunday Buffet at Bombay Curry Company. Hub and kids picked me up at the airport and after reading these reviews, I thought I'd try it.

While the food wasn't bad, the service was horrendous. It absolutely had to qualify as one of the worst service experiences ever. Our waiter spoke maybe three words to us, did not ask us if we wanted drinks, desserts, etc...He brought out the check before we were finished.  While we eventually were able to order desserts, they were brought out one at a time five mintues apart. And some of them were even the same item! No explanation, just set down in front of us without a word. A smile did not grace his dour face even once.

Honestly he probably did us a favor bringing the check so quick, as I couldn't wait to get of there!

An unconditional apology RaisaB.

That said, I hasten to add, that what you describe is not the norm at Bombay Curry Company. I shall personally investigate and speak with the erring individual. I do not know, as yet what the circumstances were but greeting, smile, drinks, dessert , these are basic things and what you experienced is simply unforgivable.

I wish you could somehow feel my frustration about how a single employee can mar years of hard work.

I would very much like to ‘make up’ for this mishap RaisaB, would you be kind enough to PM/email me your address and telephone number, I would like to try and make a more personal attempt to woo you back and see for yourself that this was a solitary instance.

regards

Balraj Bhasin

Bombay Curry Company

Raisa,

I've only been to Bombay Curry Company three times, but I've always had wonderful service. I'm so sorry your experience wasn't similar.

The good thing about a forum like this is that when the proprietors are paying attention, as BBhasin is in this case, problems like that get addressed and corrected.

Bump!

While the food wasn't bad, the service was horrendous. It absolutely had to qualify as one of the worst service experiences ever. Our waiter spoke maybe three words to us, did not ask us if we wanted drinks, desserts, etc...He brought out the check before we were finished.  While we eventually were able to order desserts, they were brought out one at a time five mintues apart. And some of them were even the same item! No explanation, just set down in front of us without a word. A smile did not grace his dour face even once.

Granted it has been a while since I have been there, but I used to frequent BCC regularly when I lived close by, and the service was always excellent. I recommend giving them another chance.

When you get service as I received, there are just too many good restaurants in the area, to pay for bad service. The guy may have been having an off day, but he should not have come to work. It leaves the customer with a bad impression. It reflects badly on what the owners and management work years to achieve. I deal with the public every week at work and sometimes I am not in the best of moods, but my customers NEVER know this plus I would probably be out of a job.

I will give them another try, but truthfully this was just a whim as my family was in the mood for Indian cuisineand close to the area.

Edited to achieve true spirit of post.

Edited by RaisaB

As if I need an excuse to lunch at Bombay Curry Company, today the restaurant was participating in Dining Out for Life--so I did . . . dine out.

I was their first lunch arrival, but the room started to fill quickly after I was seated. I found myself feeling jealous of the diners behind me who said they work in Crystal City--close enough for lunch on a work day! I have to wait for a day off.

After careful deliberation I chose the Chicken Tikka sandwich, my favorite hot spiced tea, and rice pudding for dessert. As the menu says, sandwiches aren't traditional Indian fare, but this one combined some of my favorite things: marinated tandoori-grilled chicken breast slices, salad greens, and yogurt sauce all wrapped tightly in a lovely round of naan. It was just right!

I love rice pudding, and this one did not disappoint. It is flavored with saffron and cardamom, with little bits of almonds and a few soft raisins.

The service was friendly and efficient--attentive and responsive without being overbearing. I left feeling happy and full, already looking forward to my next visit.

Wow. I am a happy happy girl with a very very full belly. This evening I introduced a friend to Bombay Curry Co. and actually introduced myself to bbhasin. Seriously, this place is good.

We started with Samosas and an order of Kachumbar. The Samosas were of course fried but no hint of grease remained. The sauce that accompanied the samosas was fabulous and had just the right amount of heat. The Kachumbar was really good.

My friend loves Tika Masala. It is not on the menu. She asked if they could make it and they did. I had never had Tika Masala. It is delicious. Very similar to the butter chicken but different...

I had the Saag Gosht. I think I love Bombay Curry most because of the Saag. It is so incredibly fresh, very distinctive I'd say.

As a treat there was nice serving of rice pudding. It's the first time I have had the Bombay Curry rice pudding. I can't wait to have more... almonds and raisins and some really nice seasonings.

What a treasure. Thanks...

Oh and kudos to bbhasin... because my friend had ordered a special dish there was a l-o-n-g delay between the samosas and entrees. I had forgotten that one of our dishes wasn't on the menu. He had a nice conversation with us about Tika Masala...

A pleasant lunch at Bombay Curry Company today. It was all chicken all the time for the three of us at the table.

We started with an order of the Tandoori chicken wings - a favorite. Those of you who tried them at the Fall picnic know what I'm talking about. They are tender, hot, and spicy and come with a nice coriander yogurt sauce to cool things off a bit.

I selected the Chicken Palak - thigh meat (I think) in a pleasantly spiced spinach curry with some red pepper strips. The others chose the Butter Chicken and Chicken Curry. All three dishes were served atop basmati rice and with a small salad. The bite of butter chicken I got was very nice, creamy and flavorful white meat. The naan was delicious - fresh and hot from the oven, a perfect mix of crispy bits and soft bits. A side of raita was tangy, refreshing, and good scooped up with the naan.

I think we had RaisaB's favorite waiter :angry: - in combination with another waiter who is the complete opposite in disposition. I go there enough that I just recognize he's part of the package - it's not enough to ruin my meal or keep me from coming back. (you can pretend you're at a Parisian cafe :) )

Some time shortly after World War II, KGB scientists set out to find a drug that would prevent inebriation. The conceit was that KGB agents would take this drug and proceed to drink their CIA counterparts under the table, at which point the lightweight American spooks would divulge our nation's best kept secrets. The scientists were unsuccesful in discovering such a miracle drug, but they did stumble upon a pill that would prevent serious hangovers if taken between drinks, but it didn't serve their purpose. After the fall of communism the secret drug was declassified, and it is now available on the U.S. market and is known as RU-21.

It's a shame the KGB didn't send a team to find and kidnap Balraj Bhassin, the proprietor of Bombay Curry company, when they had the chance, since he might've been able to concoct the right blend of spices for their needs. At any rate, his kitchen turns out a much tastier alternative to RU-21. At eleven o'clock every Sunday morning, for a mere $8.95, he puts on a killer lunch buffet: plate upon plate of some of the best nann around, straight from the tandoor. Pair it with some Dal Makhani ("black lentils simmered overnight with spices") and you are well on the way to recovery. Various curries, usually some tandoori chicken, rice pudding for dessert, and they will even let you wear your sunglasses while you eat. Truthfully, I walked in one morning in bad shape and lost any semblance of a hangover by the time I got the check.

Even if you aren't reaching for hair of the dog come the dawn on Sunday, BCC is worth a visit if you're in the area. The onion bhaji -- four for three bucks -- are giant nuggets of onion and potato battered in flour and spices and deep-fried, and the yogurt dipping sauce that comes alongside adds just enough heat to induce a Lassi craving, which here come in three varieties (I am not partial to the "Salt and Spice" one, however). The broiled tandoori wings are a treat I haven't seen at other places, rubbed with some magical blend of spices I have yet to discern, and have a clean, bright flavor.

Service is another story. Always efficient and courteous, but can at times come off as perfunctory. There is one waiter in particular who does not go out of his way to make you feel welcome, but he doesn't go out of his way to make you feel unwelcome, either. He's just there to take your order and silently refill your ice water approximately every three minutes, without any forced warmth. This actually appeals to me in this circumstance. I don't need service with a smile, especially if my waiter is the type of guy who doesn't normally smile much (a fact I am sure of after many repeat visits). Check out the buffet one week and you might see regulars arrive with their kids, who upon entering the restaurant run to the staff to give them hugs and high fives. Yes, even to that guy that doesn't smile enough.

When you are ordering and the server says "let me bring you X instead of Y" and Y is the signature dish of the restaurant, it is always wise to accept the server's suggestion.

Thus, I was introduced to what I believe is called London Bucket Chicken on Sunday at Bombay Curry. Wow, what an amazing combination of flavors. Really I have no idea what flavors this dish but it was delicious!

We also had the lamb saag and lamb vindaloo with a side of flash fried okra. Yummy. Yum. Yum.

Leftovers are good too...

I was driving down Mt. Vernon Ave. on Saturday with my 12-year old son. He looks over and says "daddy, what's Bombay Curry Company?" I proceed to tell him that it is one of the best Indian restaurants in town. He says, can we have dinner there tonight? To make a long story short, we would up getting carryout. No trip to Bombay Curry is complete without shammi kabob and butter chicken. He loved both and now wants to go back when he returns in a couple of weeks. This place deserves more attention from DR.com'ers than it gets.

Did eat in, instead of carryout, tonight. My 12-year old started off the ordering with butter chicken and shammi kabob. I went with the lamb biryani and our other dining companion ordered the

Hydrabadi Keema, which is a curried ground beef and potatoes dish. Everything was great. The butter chicken had a sort of smokey flavor on the back of the tongue which I did not recall from the last time I had it. The butter chicken has to be one of the best in the city. The Keema was very good and I would order this again (assuming someone else at the table orders the butter chicken before I do). The lamb Biryani is a monster dish with lots of rice, raisens and big chunks of lamb. A couple of Kraits and your ini businesses. Chef Bhasin is a gracious host as always. I hope to see him at the picnic on Sunday.

Tried out Bombay Curry Co on Saturday night and had a great meal. I had the Butter Chicken and the +1 had the Chicken Kadai. The sauces were fantastic, especially when swiped up by the light, tasty naan. We also had an order of samosas which were also wonderful! Only regret is that we waited so long to try this place!

Does this place offer a Saturday brunch? Is it vegetarian-friendly? Is it within walking distance of the Dairy Godmother (I forgot- is that what it's called now?)?

Thanks- trying to throw a birthday brunch for a friend.

I think the brunch buffet is only offered on Sunday, but they should be open for lunch on Saturday. As far as the Sunday brunch being veg-friendly - I think it is. They usually have a variety of vegetarian dishes (not sure if non-veg components are used in preparation) along with a few chicken and other meat dishes. It's not right down the street from the DG, but it isn't too far - about a half mile.

Based on all your raves, we went to Bombay Curry Company this evening. Believe me, when you have 2 children under 3 years of age, getting a date night with the spouse once a month is a special occasion and we look forward to getting some good eats and conversation.

We were sorely disappointed in the fare at this restaurant. The highlight was the tandoori chicken wings.. they were great. The Rogan Josh was not hot, it was warm and lacklustre. Nothing to write home about. But the Goan Fish Curry must have been one of the worst I have ever had (and believe me, I have had MANY a goan fish curry in my life!). It was not authentic. Coconut and coconut milk and mustard seeds were hastily formed into this curry. The fish was not todays catch, that is for sure and I doubt very much it had been marinated. Goan fish curry with black mustard seeds with a yellowish colour sauce? Egads. Awful.

We definitely will not be going back. This was not worth wasting our date night on. :o

-

Just wanted to add, if anyone wants a real goan fish curry, i will invite you over one day!! A real goan fish curry is so good that you will steal leftovers from under your child's nose. ha.

Based on all your raves, we went to Bombay Curry Company this evening. Believe me, when you have 2 children under 3 years of age, getting a date night with the spouse once a month is a special occasion and we look forward to getting some good eats and conversation.

We were sorely disappointed in the fare at this restaurant. The highlight was the tandoori chicken wings.. they were great. The Rogan Josh was not hot, it was warm and lacklustre. Nothing to write home about. But the Goan Fish Curry must have been one of the worst I have ever had (and believe me, I have had MANY a goan fish curry in my life!). It was not authentic. Coconut and coconut milk and mustard seeds were hastily formed into this curry. The fish was not todays catch, that is for sure and I doubt very much it had been marinated. Goan fish curry with black mustard seeds with a yellowish colour sauce? Egads. Awful.

We definitely will not be going back. This was not worth wasting our date night on. :o

-

Just wanted to add, if anyone wants a real goan fish curry, i will invite you over one day!! A real goan fish curry is so good that you will steal leftovers from under your child's nose. ha.

Welcome, foodiechow. Sorry to hear that you didn't like it. I ask you to try it again some time as I have had several very good meals at BCC.

The $20 Tuesday event this evening was a standout. Well attended by 13 Rockweilers, the capable restaurant staff served us "family style." The multi-course dinner spanned the menu and included favorites such as butter chicken, shammi kabab, hara kabab, seekh kabab and the chicken wings. Everything was wonderful. Thanks to BBhasin, his wife and staff for making as all feel at home. I'll wait for the others to chime in with their perceptions.

Last night's $20 dinner was terrific and both the company and food were excellent. The fact that we were served family style was great because I was able to taste some dishes I might not have ordered on my own (the delectable chicken wings come to mind). I will be back for certain for the shammi kabob, the vindaloo and the butter chicken. And the wings. And the naan. And now I'm going to read the fitness challenge thread and get back on track. Thank you Jacques Gastreaux, BBhasin and wife and our kind and attentive servers for a great Tuesday night.

Me too. :o

Overall a good $20-Tuesday dinner as has already been mentioned, really loved those wings. I wonder if the recipe is in the picnic cookbook? On a personal note, I wished that the vindaloo was a bit more spicy and found the goan fish curry to be a bit bland. Family style was a great way to go here with the size of our group and they staff was very accommodating.

When Jlock and I were first dating, we went to Bombay Curry Club quite often and always loved it. But, then we moved away, and it escaped our radar. Yesterday, we decided to try it again for the first time in many years, and the butter chicken and korma were just as great as we remembered. And, we tried the wings for the first time - what a delight.

All would have been perfect if the lamb had only been trimmed properly. It is very annoying to have to pick out large pieces of fat and gristle in thick-sauced dishes, as they are only discoverable after the bite has been taken. At some point, I just gave up and ignored the lamb and sopped up the great cocounutty sauce with the nan. Which was lovely, but still . . ..

Bombay Curry Company is one place that does good carry-out and it holds up really well for the short trip home. The chicken kadai lived up to earlier posts about its heat:

it starts off mild and flavorful, and then suddenly you can feel the beads of sweat appear on your forehead. The flavors are as complex as you will find in any dish, Indian or not......Sometimes it doesn't hit you how hot this dish is until you stop. So, I suggest never stopping. This dish is very hot, but not just for the sake of being hot. It IS complex and keeps you on your toes. If you enjoy roller coaster rides, order this stuff! Joe H could sell buckets of it!
It is a great dish that had me feeling the heat last night - but in a good way. Sides of bharta and saag paneer were nice accompaniments - mild enough to cut through the residual heat from the kadai and nicely seasoned with their own levels of flavor. The naan is quite good too - puffy around the edges with a few crispy flatter spots in the middle - perfect for sopping up any left over sauce!

And the award for a restaurant that misses the mark terribly goes to Bombay Curry Company. Last night I dined with three guests at Bombay Curry Company. I had not been in a year because, as I remembered too late, my last meal had been disappointing.

This time, I am truly not sure if the meat in my dish was chicken. It was hunks of dark and fat pieces of something but it did not taste like chicken. The wheat paritha I ordered was the worst example of the bread I have ever had, missing the landmark crunchiness. The naan that was served as multiple orders instead of one order seriously had a dusting of flour.

The tandoori chicken wings lived up to the hype but the samosas were bland with too thick of a pastry shell.

Wow, worst meal I have had in a long time. More evidence that eating out in D.C. is a lot like a game of Russian Roulette. It should not be.

My wife and I ate there last week for dinner and found both the fish curry and lamb korma to be lacking in any zip or depth of flavor....what has happened to this once more than solid neighboohood Indian? Lost a Chef, perhaps...

I agree, not sure what happened as of recent. I was there two weeks ago, and could tell that something was out of balance. My friend had a dish that looked and tasted just like chili. All we needed was some corn breard instead of naan. Chicken was not as spicy as it used to be...I'd hate to see Bomaby lose it's special touch. :blink:

FYI, this was posted on the DelRay listserv recently:

Seasons Greetings

Just a short note to inform all that we shall be closed Mondays during the month of November to attend to some maintainance work.

If you are unable to handle that 'monday night chicken curry fix' until tuesday, here is a link to making your own, good luck!

http://www.monkeysee.com/video/watch/3125

Thank you neighbors, for your patronage, support & friendship.

Balraj Bhasin

BOMBAY CURRY COMPANY

We "dined out for life" at Bombay Curry Company last week and, if there had been problems, they seem to have been resolved. Three of us shared the bhel puri - a fun little concoction of textures (crunchy puffed rice, soft potato cubes) and flavors (tangy yogurt, sweet-spicy mint chutney). The butter chicken and chicken kadai were as good as always - the former with its creamy, tomatoey sauce and chunks of white meat; the latter with its spicy, drier sauce and dark meat. Diner #3 ordered and was pleased with the lamb korma. I only had a few small tastes - the lamb was tender, but I prefer a bit more heat/kick in my dishes. The naan was as good as any I've had at BBCo - hot and puffy - yum... A side of kadai chole (spicy chick peas rounded things out. They were nice with dinner, but I was really enjoying them cold the next day.

Lisa and I went here before the Tift Merritt show at the Birchmere (I honestly can't eat there anymore - what a pathetic excuse for cafeteria swill). Based on the raving recommendations, we started with the tandoori chicken wings and shared the vindaloo as a main, along with the saag paneer, kadai chole, nanna, roti, and achar on the side.

The tandoori chicken wings were more than adequate - tasty and meaty with a spice kick that crept up on you as had more. They were a little more oily than I would have liked. The accompanying dipping sauce was OK but I don't think it really added anything in terms of exceptional flavour or cooling. I might've preferred a small quantity of just raita instead.

I don't know what people expect in terms of heat but the vindaloo was as fiery as one could reasonably expect. The lamb was wonderfully tender and the lamb to potato ratio was more than adequate. The sauce had a wonderful taste and was perfect for sopping up with bits of nann and roti. The kadai chole were an excellent side dish - a step above usual servings of chickpeas in Indian restaurants. They had an excellent tangy or sweet/sour taste that I couldn't identify (possibly tamarind?). I think with all the heat in the other dishes, the saag paneer seemed a little wimpy. It's not that it was bad, but frankly, it barely had any taste in relation to the other dishes. The naan and roti were both excellent, though the roti had a completely different taste and texture to what the cooks in the Bengali Indian community have prepared for me in the past. The achar was basic stuff out of a jar - not that I expected any different - but I did appreciate that they didn't gouge us on the price.

It's a real shame that this place is so far away from where we live because I would come here very often. The cooking is above average for Indian restaurants but what I really appreciate are the fact that so many dishes are available as sides. You can put together a varied and tasty meal quite easily with only a few people. And you simply can't beat the prices, especially given the quality of the cooking.

This may actually be the best Indian restaurant we've come across in the DC area. I think we'll be coming to Birchmere shows more often now that we now we can also get a good meal.

I really wish there was at least one other Indian option near Old Town that didn't require a car for me to get to, because Raw Silk has fallen way off my radar screen.

Bombay Curry Company in Del Ray isn't that far away, but I'm not sure if bus service can get you there easily.

A quick shout out to last night's takeout order from Bombay Curry Company. Goa Fish Curry was my favorite of the bunch, delicate coconut milk and fenugreek seeds doing their best to make the tender, flaky cod elevate to greatness. Lamb Rogan Josh also on target, tender, pleasant heat. Smack with saffron and call me trite, but the Gulab Jamun here is one of the best around, the simple syrup infused with an unusually deep and floral, beyond rosewater flavor.

Don't forget to order the consistently crispy papadum here. Tucked into your takeout bag, they will help snap away the chill of any brisk winter evening.

(fun fact photo enclosed)

(look up and to your left as you enter the door)

(why is a candle holder there?)

post-5654-0-01132100-1293023845_thumb.jp

Convinced a couple coworkers to try this place today for lunch and glad we did - kicking myself for not coming sooner. The butter chicken, lamb vindaloo, curry chicken and rogan josh were all great. The vindaloo was spicy which I was happy about as most places seem to tone it down. The naan was also fresh and served warm.

Not sure what is going to happen to this place once the redevelopment starts.

Not sure what is going to happen to this place once the redevelopment starts.

So, the bad news is Bombay Curry Company is closing on December 20. The good news is that they already have a potential new location in mind, assuming all goes well with the city. Given the usual slow, complicated nature of permit applications in Alexandria, it would be a help to Mr. Bhasin (a member here), to have letters of support from neighbors and customers to present to the zoning board. I'm going to send one to him. If you're a customer and don't want to go for too long without your favorite kadai or vindaloo, consider taking a minute to send a letter to him that he can present with his application. I've attached a sample; you can personalize it and email to: bombaycurrycompany at gmail dot com

Bombay Curry Company is one of our go-to carryout spots and I'll be happy to have them even a little closer to home for our favorite butter chicken, saag paneer, and chicken kadai!

(I hope a little advocacy for a neighborhood favorite is OK.)

Bombay Curry Zoning Letter.pdf