Local Chefs On TV

mdt

This morning as I was flipping through the channels I saw Cathal Armstrong (on Fox 5, I think) reviewing food that was delivered from PeaPod by Giant. They were doing a story about food delivery services.

Now I just saw a commercial for a story on sous vide coooking with Michel Richard on News 4 at 5pm tomorrow.

Edited by mdt

It was a little embarassing, but Roberto Donna was on Iron Chef America over the summer and didn't have a great showing.  I think he finished maybe 2 of his 6 dishes! 

Now Morou will have the chance to avenge his loss. Can't wait to see it.

Jeff Tunks stars in an episode of Chefs A'Field, which I don't think has aired locally yet (on PBS). And David Guas is always popping up on the Today Show to show off his desserts. He's really good on TV, maybe because he's used to their harried, cook-in-60-seconds style.

It hasn't happened yet, but Warren Brown of CakeLove fame, has his own series on the Food Channel, called "Sugar Rush" which is about to start soon.

He is not getting this show becuase of his cooking talents, that is for sure. FTV, where the pretty poeple cook.

Last night, the Food Network aired "Secrets of Kitchen Stadium," which was quite DC-centric. There was an extensive piece on Roberto Donna, both his initial Iron Chef failure and his preparations for the rematch. Another piece documented the competition to determine which DC chef would appear on the show this year, including an interview with Tony Williams and charming snippets with the three competitors (Ris Lacoste; Morou Ouattara; and, uh, the chef from Tosca).

Here are the future air times, in case you'd like to set your Tivo:

February 02, 2006 10:00 PM ET/PT

February 03, 2006 2:00 AM ET/PT

February 04, 2006 7:00 PM ET/PT

February 04, 2006 11:00 PM ET/PT

February 05, 2006 3:00 AM ET/PT

It is rumored that Keith Ryder (aka bkeith) of ventworm cake fame will be on television this weekend when the Food Network starts airing a special on the 2005 Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show (OSSAS). It was the first time Keith competed at the OSSAS and he won 6th (out of ~50 entries) in the Wedding Cake competition.

"Food Network Challenge: Designer Wedding Cake Cookoff"

AIR TIMES:

February 04, 2006 9:00 PM ET/PT

February 05, 2006 1:00 AM ET/PT

February 11, 2006 4:00 PM ET/PT

February 12, 2006 5:00 PM ET/PT

(For those who would like to see a still of Keith's prize-winning cake, there are links in this thread on the eG Pastry & Baking forum.)

Did anyone watch the Iron Chef America special Sunday night? If so, did anyone else connect the tidbit in Tom S's chat about Roberto Donna's staff cheering for him with the tidbit in the special about Donna training for a rematch???

I did and I suspect he did quite well this go-round.

{Fingers-crossed for him}

Jennifer

My question is, when the re-match with Morimoto was over, did Roberto jump up on his cutting board?

For those of you have haven't seen the Food Section of the Wash Post today, Chef Donna will be on NBC's Today show starting Friday to take Al Roker on a culinary tour of the region where he grew up in as part of their Olympic coverage. Show be interesting.Oh, and also will be on Ch 4 today at 5pm.

Edited by ctay122

For those of you have haven't seen the Food Section of the Wash Post today, Chef Donna will be on NBC's Today show starting Friday to take Al Roker on a culinary tour of the region where he grew up in as part of their Olympic coverage. Should be interesting. Oh, and also will be on Ch 4 today at 5pm.

/wrc/5093081/detail.html[/url]

Edited by ctay122

His cookbook is still in print and sold at the restaurant.  I've made about 15 or more dishes out of it and all have been outstanding.  Included are about a half dozen risotto recipes.

My husband bought me his book for Christmas. I haven't tried anything yet. I did attend one of his classes last month (see my post). I have made 2 of the dishes we made at the Galileo Laboratorio at home for my husband. They turned out wonderful. I have another class scheduled in March. Right now there are some recipes from Chef Carmine Marzano, of Ristorante Luigino on the NBC 4 website:(http://www.nbcolympics.com/wrc/5093081/detail.html). Chef Donna was on about 5 minutes ago...I hope to see his recipes on the NBC4 website shortly.

Update on Roberto Donna's tv schedule:

A Quick Note from Italy

Roberto is in Torino and the town is buzzing with Olympic excitement. There have been some changes with the televised appearances. The market tour probably will not happen due to some difficulties with security and cameras in the market.

Roberto will be on the Today Show on Tuesday, February 14th showing some of the traditional cuisine of Torino. He is also filming segments for some other NBC shows and affiliates, but air dates are not known at this time. Keep an eye on our website for more information.

Good show tonight. Does anyone else think that Jeffrey Steingarten is an ass?
That's his appeal, and why he's always invited back to judge. :unsure:

Nice job on the perfect score in originality, but I can see why he blew the rest of the categories. The point of the theme ingredient is that it's supposed to be the foundation flavor of the dishes - not an afterthought side-item. It seemed to me like Morou was just going to some of his go-to dishes and substituting/adding peas. NOT the spirit of the competition, Mr. Morou.

That's his appeal, and why he's always invited back to judge. :unsure:

Nice job on the perfect score in originality, but I can see why he blew the rest of the categories. The point of the theme ingredient is that it's supposed to be the foundation flavor of the dishes - not an afterthought side-item. It seemed to me like Morou was just going to some of his go-to dishes and substituting/adding peas. NOT the spirit of the competition, Mr. Morou.

There is really only so much you can do with peas.

There is really only so much you can do with peas.

You obviously haven't seen very many episodes of Iron Chef. That poor, poor PacoJet machine. And I don't think that there's any part of any plant or animal that Michiba wouldn't have used. Still, at some level I agree with you, and this remains one of my main gripes of the US version - that the theme ingredients are often hopelessly unremarkable.

I was searching around on t.v. this morning for something to take my mind off my misery while on the elliptical trainer, and came across an old episode of Julia Child's Master Chefs series. There was our very own Roberto Donna looking very young and fit, with an almost full head of hair, teaching the slightly doddering Julia how to make pizza. I didn't catch the date at the end of the show, but it had to have been twenty years ago. Except for his recommending the use of mass-produced, domestic mozzarella, his demonstration of hand-working pizza dough and baking it in a home oven with a stone was well-done.

to take my mind off my misery while on the elliptical trainer, and came across an old episode of Julia Child's Master Chefs series. There was our very own Roberto Donna looking very young and fit, with an almost full head of hair, teaching the slightly doddering Julia how to make pizza.
Interesting video link. There are several "lesson" segments available on making pizza and pasta dishes with Chef Donna. Julia really did have an interesting variety of chef-guests (click "Meet the Chefs" along left side of screen). It was probably an invitation nobody could refuse.

OK, I need to get to the gym -- but glad to know that I've got company.

I was searching around on t.v. this morning for something to take my mind off my misery while on the elliptical trainer, and came across an old episode of Julia Child's Master Chefs series. There was our very own Roberto Donna looking very young and fit, with an almost full head of hair, teaching the slightly doddering Julia how to make pizza. I didn't catch the date at the end of the show, but it had to have been twenty years ago. Except for his recommending the use of mass-produced, domestic mozzarella, his demonstration of hand-working pizza dough and baking it in a home oven with a stone was well-done.

I think they are on the 2nd or 3rd loop through the series as I most of these Tivo'd. Too bad the Food Network is getting worse, although I did see adds for new shows coming this fall.

I think they are on the 2nd or 3rd loop through the series as I most of these Tivo'd. Too bad the Food Network is getting worse, although I did see adds for new shows coming this fall.

Their new shows look awful...Booby Flay Throw Down? A bunch of cooking competitions featuring housewives (no offense to housewives of course) making Ultimate Chicken recipes? Do we really need another BBQ cook off?

Maybe Alton Brown's new show will be interesting.

Otherwise I like Iron Chef (either version) and Emeril (don't hate). I'm even over Giada.

Bobby Flay's Throw Down is ok from the two epi's I've seen. But, the thing is he goes in completely prepared with tested recipes, while the opponent gets caught completely off guard as they are cooking under a ruse of some sort. It's an uneven playing field to me, although he lost a steak challenge to a chef with Army issued ingredients for the sauce and a lesser cut of meat. Kewl.

I enjoy watching America's Test Kitchen and lots of the PBS shows. Love Lidia and Maryanne Espisito (sp?).

I believe this was around 1994-1995. Julia had a burst of activity in which she produced three books in about four years: Cooking with Master Chefs, In Julia's Kitchen with Master Chefs, and Baking with Julia. Each book had its corresponding series.

This was run again on WHUT (?) today at 8 AM. Many extend clips from this episode are on the PBS site:

http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/meet/donna.html#

Steve

Heretic. :)

I look forward to the new Alton shows.

Alton spoke at the Natural History museum last night where he discussed his upcoming "Feasting on Asphalt" series (premieres 7/29) and played clips from the show. Keep an eye out for the pickled pig's foot episode -- it's pretty funny. It was a packed house in the Baird Auditorium with the highlight being the audience Q&A to wrap up the discussion which was followed, of course, by a book signing. Should be a fun show to watch.

Anyone know who else is competing against the ICs next season (from DC or otherwise)?

I'd do a Google search, but there are still several episodes from this season that I haven't watched yet and I don't want to take the chance and get spoiled about their outcomes.

As I was scanning my viewing options last night, spent a few minutes watching some bbq cook-off on the Versus network. Did not look as anything that was interesting, especially when the first judge was "Chocolate Thunder" from the Planet Lovetron, Darryl Dawkins. The final judge did peak my interst though, it was none other than Michel Richard. As I only saw a few minutes, could not tell the quality of the saw or the cooking, but Chef Richard can throw a mean lobster tail into the audience.

BBQ Cook-off on VS