Glover Park/Burleith Market

I apologize if there's already a topic on this market, but I don't think there is.

A new, not-too-huge but very nice, Saturday morning market in the Hardy Middle School parking lot, across from the Safeway that's being redone.

A few stands selling nice variety of summer fruits and vegetables. Hondo Coffee Co, which seems to be a roaster in Manassas, selling beans and ground coffee. A very friendly woman selling her awesome pound cakes. Other stuff too.

Definitely worth checking out.

link

Interesting. News to me, especially the fact that a non-profit organization running it is also into schools, nutrition, etc. I recognize and like a number of the participants.

Anyone know more? There isn't a whole lot on the web site. Must be fairly new.

Interesting. News to me, especially the fact that a non-profit organization running it is also into schools, nutrition, etc. I recognize and like a number of the participants.

Anyone know more? There isn't a whole lot on the web site. Must be fairly new.

Lauren IS brand new. She started the market this year after consulting with FF and Chip Planck because she lives in Glover Park and wanted a market in her neighborhood. She consulted with several FF people including Ann Yonkers and I have given her some advice over the last few months but she is the main person with a lot of enthusiastic support from her community. She is following a local producer- only model with some established producers and a few new ones. Except that she allows Hondo Coffee because it is locally roasted and he owns the plantation. It is a very good location in the Hardy School Parking lot on Wisconsin right across the construction of the new Social Safeway. They have Black Rock Orchard, Toigo Orchard, Smith Meadow Meat and Pasta, Bonaparte Bread, Westmoreland Veg, the Pound Cake Baker from Rose Park, Wheatland Organics, Wollam Flowers, and a few others including another Veg. About 10 producers in all.

I'm so glad to have this market in the neighborhood. It's great! Just the right number of stands, a good variety without being overwhelming. Cute kids and dogs. Live music. Food demos. All without having to deal with crowds and jostling and long lines. I'm a longtime patron and fan of the Dupont market and while I'm thrilled that it's so successful, I like having a little elbow room, so this is a much better option for me. :rolleyes:

So glad that people have been enjoying our new market so far this season!

Since these posts, the Glover Park-Burleith Farmers' Market has added new vendors - we now have 16. Everona Dairy joined the market last week, and Red Apron Butchery will be starting at the market this Saturday. In addition we have Blue Ridge Botanicals, Black Rock Orchard, Smallwood's Veggieporium, Union Street Soapworks, KarenKay's Cakes, Toigo Orchards, Wollam Gardens, Smith Meadows Meat & Pasta, Derick's Orchard, Wheatland Natural, Virginia Chocolate Company, Westmoreland Produce, Hondo Coffee and Bonaparte Breads.

There is also live bluegrass music at the market each week (featuring either Andrew Acosta & Jon Kaparakis or the King Street Bluegrass Band), and we usually have facepainting. Dogs are always welcome.

We are located in the Hardy Middle School parking lot (across from the "social Safeway" on Wisconsin Ave). This season, we will run every Saturday from 9 am-1 pm through October 3rd, 2009.

Also, our website has been updated recently and now it has a lot more information (and pictures). www.dcgreens.org

Come on over and check out the market if you haven't already. Thanks!

Good news - this market starts up again this Saturday. I am not affiliated with them, just a fan. Check it out - including Karen Kay's pound cakes, etc. And you can see the brand new Safeway across the street (with designated sweeeet parking spaces for hybrid cars) if you're into that.

I saw an article that this market has been having some trouble attracting customers so far this year. :lol:

I have no affiliation with them, but I love this little market - it's small and easily navigable, but there are a variety of stands - greens, fruits, veggies, herbs, gelato, Copper Pot pasta/jam, and Karen's fabulous baked goods, among others. I'm just one person shopping for a fairly small amount of food, so my paltry sum each week may not mean much, but this is a worthwhile venture that I really want to succeed.

If you can make it to the neighborhood on a Saturday morning please stop by and check it out.

I saw an article that this market has been having some trouble attracting customers so far this year. :lol:

I have no affiliation with them, but I love this little market - it's small and easily navigable, but there are a variety of stands - greens, fruits, veggies, herbs, gelato, Copper Pot pasta/jam, and Karen's fabulous baked goods, among others. I'm just one person shopping for a fairly small amount of food, so my paltry sum each week may not mean much, but this is a worthwhile venture that I really want to succeed.

If you can make it to the neighborhood on a Saturday morning please stop by and check it out.

it is a very good community market with excellent producers and Lauren does a terrific job running it. (I have no affiliation with it either except that we attend meetings at the same farmers market collaborative group.)

Too bad this market seems to be struggling. We visited for the first time this past Saturday. It's relatively small, but that actually made it easier to manage with our toddler and baby (and my in-laws). Nice assortment of products offered, live music, face painting for the kids, and a free bike clinic. We'll be back.

Too bad this market seems to be struggling. We visited for the first time this past Saturday. It's relatively small, but that actually made it easier to manage with our toddler and baby (and my in-laws). Nice assortment of products offered, live music, face painting for the kids, and a free bike clinic. We'll be back.

It takes time to establish markets. Penn Quarter and Silver Spring did not take off until Year 3 or 4. Mt Pleasant lost HALF its original 17 producers in Season 1. Lauren had an unusually good first season but she did not start until June. May is hard. It is all about greens. There are no tomatoes. Lots of people go away to graduations and weddings. I suspect her customer numbers will increase as the summer produce comes in....Give her time, but go to the market. She really does have excellent producers there.

I apologize if there's already a topic on this market, but I don't think there is.

A new, not-too-huge but very nice, Saturday morning market in the Hardy Middle School parking lot, across from the Safeway that's being redone.

A few stands selling nice variety of summer fruits and vegetables. Hondo Coffee Co, which seems to be a roaster in Manassas, selling beans and ground coffee. A very friendly woman selling her awesome pound cakes. Other stuff too.

Definitely worth checking out.

link

Thanks, Sam. Very nice neighborhood spot. And yes, the pound cakes are very good -- but they're $55 apiece (and six dollars a slice)! That's seriously oout of whack, no? Really, shouldn't they be about half that price (which would still fairly pricey as pound cakes go)?

Fortune found me venturing to meet a friend today at the Glover Park Farmer's Market. What a charming scene!

Toe-tapping, can't-help-but-sway tunes from Gallows Road, an exceptional bluegrass band. Summer abundance, friendly farmers, creative bakers and producers as far as the eye could see.

My treasures? A Toigo cantaloupe that made my car smell like Eden, heirloom cherry tomatoes that will last no longer than this evening, little green jousting lances of okra, and Spriggs Delight Farm goat milk-based peanut butter fudge.

Surprisingly uncrowded, this market is worth a special trip on your upcoming Saturdays. Consider bringing a cooler for your car, and enjoy a Turkish meal afterwards at Cafe Divan, now open from 9 until 2 on Saturdays (serving both the breakfast and lunch menu).

Parking was a lot easier than I thought it would be. 34th street had several spots open when I arrived at 10AM, which made exiting Georgetown by way of Key Bridge a snap.

post-5654-128059687678_thumb.jpg