Kaffir Lime Leaves

They usually have them at my Asian Grocer in Frederick. Is Hmart the large market just off of 29 on 40?. FOr some reason I thought it was called Grand Market (or maybe that's another store entirely).

There are a couple of huge markets in the area - one at the end of 70 just east of Columbia and another in Germantown in the Muddy Branch Shopping Center. Sounds like a phone call would help before driving though...

Sometimes you can find them in the frozen food section.

Yep, Hmart is the one on 40. I actually think the one here in Laurel is a Grand mart, but I'm not sure b/c my friends and I just call it Gmart. :rolleyes: The guy at Hmart told me it's too expensive to buy the minimum order of fresh lime leaves for how few people want them - I guess they just don't sell and neither place had any frozen. Sadly I don't have time to drive much beyond here or Baltimore (already have to go there for other stuff) so I may have to do without.

I frequently find kaffir lime leaves in the fresh herbs part of the produce section at the Whole Foods in the Kentlands in Gaithersburg. I know I've seen them there in the last couple of weeks. Can't speak for other Whole Foods stores, but it may be worth checking the one closest to you.

I frequently find kaffir lime leaves in the fresh herbs part of the produce section at the Whole Foods in the Kentlands in Gaithersburg. I know I've seen them there in the last couple of weeks. Can't speak for other Whole Foods stores, but it may be worth checking the one closest to you.

I've sen them at the WFs in DC, so apparently they're regularly in stock throughout the area.

I've sen them at the WFs in DC, so apparently they're regularly in stock throughout the area.

I've also seen them at WF in VA. That's where I've bought them the couple of times I needed them. They come in a little plastic pack (don't know if it's technically a clamshell).

Thanks all. The WF I went to (Harbour East), not surprisingly did not have them (it's a small store), but a friend found them at the Silver Spring location and picked them up for me so I'm all set. They better be worth all of the trouble. :rolleyes:

Next time save some money and go to Thai Market next to the SS Safeway.

Next time save some money and go to Thai Market next to the SS Safeway.

Which SS Safeway and where? Are you certain the market always (or almost always) has them?

I've been using the leftover simple syrup I infused with them in my margaritas and enjoying the extra kick it gives them so I think I'll be buying them again.

This is weird enough to be unhelpful, but the garden center in merrifield sells the plants- a small bushy thing that has proven impossible to kill. The main issue has been finding things to do with it- simple syrup, kaffir lime spritzers, etc. Ours even had a couple of tiny lime-lings that I can't really recommend eating. At all.

Which SS Safeway and where? Are you certain the market always (or almost always) has them?

I've been using the leftover simple syrup I infused with them in my margaritas and enjoying the extra kick it gives them so I think I'll be buying them again.

SS Safeway is bounded by Thayer, Fenton, and Bonifant. Thai Market is on Thayer Ave. The market always has kaffir lime leaves. It's also my source for chinese sausage, bird chilis, dried shrimp, galangal, 3 crabs fish sauce (which I like much better than Tiparos), and just about any other SE Asian ingredient that you can't find at you basic megamart.

ETA - Their little take out stand is actually pretty good. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but you won't be unhappy.

This is weird enough to be unhelpful, but the garden center in merrifield sells the plants- a small bushy thing that has proven impossible to kill. The main issue has been finding things to do with it- simple syrup, kaffir lime spritzers, etc. Ours even had a couple of tiny lime-lings that I can't really recommend eating. At all.

Kaffir lime is an easily grown houseplant. The leaves freeze surprisingly well, though they lose some flavor over time. I recall reading somewhere that kaffir lime is cultivated for the leaves only; sorry I can't remember where.

JPW, thanks for the tip! I couldn't find galangal at my asian market last weekend either, but if I understood the guy correctly, they were just out of it.

I think I will look into growing the plant at home. Maybe not until next year though, seems like I'd have more uses for the leaves in summer. Although I'm happy to have curry through the winter.

No leaves yet, though I have seen them packaged w the other herbs at Whole Foods before. However, leafless, fresh Kaffir limes just appeared at the Silver Spring Whole Foods yesterday. Click here for a pretty informative link which claims California's fruits are not perfect matches to the fragrant Thai limes. At any rate, I am using the juice, not simply the peel.