Cilantro, A Love / Hate Relationship

goodeats

I don't know why, but to me cilantro tastes really distinctively and the bad taste remains in my mouth for quite some time after I eat other foods (this happens with brussel sprouts too) and they are heavy on the fresh cilantro, which I am sure makes other people very happy.

ktmoomau's comment jogged my memory on a study (or studies?) regarding this very common factor. You are definitely not alone. Apparently, it's spawned this wonderful website, and the studies I've dug up through a quick google search here and here confirmed my suspicions - it's not you, it's you (just kidding). Happy reading!

ktmoomau's comment jogged my memory on a study (or studies?) regarding this very common factor. You are definitely not alone. Apparently, it's spawned this wonderful website, and the studies I've dug up through a quick google search here and here confirmed my suspicions - it's not you, it's you (just kidding). Happy reading!

I'm one of those who taste soap when we eat cilantro. I'm trying to learn to appreciate it, since it is now ubiquitous, but that isn't easy.

Scottee

Thanks for the links. I had heard about something like this, but never really investigated. It made me think about doing the paper test, but I am a little scared of the taste as the taste of cilantro will stay in my mouth for over 12 hours sometimes and will ruin my next meal too.

I need to ask my Mom if she likes it.

Click (nsfw language)

Wow, I am a little obsessive about foods I love, but that is well very obsessive. Makes me feel a bit better about myself actually. And a little bad ass now that I know there is someone out there who wants to fight me. So somewhere someday there could be a cilantro showdown. (Debating whether I should keep a small sliver of soap in purse for inevitable throwdown so I can make the person eat it. Might be a long time waiting with soap in ones purse, but soap could come in handy...)