Fresh San Marzano Tomatoes

Ilaine

I bought 3 lbs of what I thought were Roma tomatoes at Falls Church FM on Saturday, but they may have been San Marzanos (didn't think to ask -- no coffee in system yet). They were pricey enough -- $3/lb -- to be San Marzanos. Very Ripe and very fresh, now sitting as sauce in my fridge and freezer.

We've been haunting the Fairfax farmer's markets looking for fresh local San Marzanos but no luck. Is anybody selling these now?

Tree & Leaf has been selling great Italian plum tomatoes for a few weeks.

Claims for the superiority of North American tomatoes deriving from seeds collected in San Marzano proper, before/after or during a catastrophic eruption of Mount Vesuvius, should be regarded with skepticism. Same goes for the veracity of claims for the possession of either relics of the True Cross or tomatoes that can trace their ancestry back to San Marzano, though, admittedly the latter is more likely.

DOP status is given to canned imports from San Marzano, in part because of regional pride in the effects of rich, volcanic soil on the flavor of tomatoes.

I bought 3 lbs of what I thought were Roma tomatoes at Falls Church FM on Saturday, but they may have been San Marzanos (didn't think to ask -- no coffee in system yet). They were pricey enough -- $3/lb -- to be San Marzanos. Very Ripe and very fresh, now sitting as sauce in my fridge and freezer.

$3/lb. is standard for any type of tomato at a FM.