Wine Advice

I have some bottles that I need to get rid of. They've been stored in a cool, but not temperature regulated, basement. If anyone thinks any of these could still be good, I'll be giving them away to whoever wants 'em (pm me). Or if they're likely not good, I'll dump 'em. I just hate to waste stuff if someone out there could enjoy it...

Rudolf Eilenz 2004 Ayler Kupp Riesling Spätlese Feinherb

2006 Pouilly Fumé Francis Blanchet

Robert Mondavi 2004 Johannisburg Riesling

2006 Sentito Cortese (2)

Barboursville Philéo white dessert wine

2002 Trimbach Riesling (2)

2005 Domaine Monpertius Vignoble de la Ramièr Cuveé Counoise

2006 Soif de Jour Bourgueil

2003 Chateau de Pibarnon Bandol

2006 A to Z Pinot Noir (Oregon)

2006 Soléna Pinot Noir (Oregon)

I have some bottles that I need to get rid of. They've been stored in a cool, but not temperature regulated, basement. If anyone thinks any of these could still be good, I'll be giving them away to whoever wants 'em (pm me). Or if they're likely not good, I'll dump 'em. I just hate to waste stuff if someone out there could enjoy it...

Rudolf Eilenz 2004 Ayler Kupp Riesling Spätlese Feinherb

2006 Pouilly Fumé Francis Blanchet

Robert Mondavi 2004 Johannisburg Riesling

2006 Sentito Cortese (2)

Barboursville Philéo white dessert wine

2002 Trimbach Riesling (2)

2005 Domaine Monpertius Vignoble de la Ramièr Cuveé Counoise

2006 Soif de Jour Bourgueil

2003 Chateau de Pibarnon Bandol

2006 A to Z Pinot Noir (Oregon)

2006 Soléna Pinot Noir (Oregon)

I think there's a chance that every single one of these will be good. :rolleyes:

I think people get too wrapped up in the good versus bad storage conditions. True, I keep my best stuff in temperature and humidity controlled storage units. But the majority of what I have is in the coolest closet in my house in boxes. I do not think I have had a bad bottle due to poor storage conditions any more than if I stored them properly (corked wines happen outside of poor storage of course)...

I think people get too wrapped up in the good versus bad storage conditions. True, I keep my best stuff in temperature and humidity controlled storage units. But the majority of what I have is in the coolest closet in my house in boxes. I do not think I have had a bad bottle due to poor storage conditions any more than if I stored them properly (corked wines happen outside of poor storage of course)...

Over the past year or so about 50% of the bottles I've opened have gone bad - not corked, though. Except for the ones I got as presents, all came from places like Arrowine or Cecile's, where experts helped me pick them (frequently after a tasting). I can think of no other reason for it than temperature fluctuations. So yeah, maybe people do get wrapped up in it, but empirical evidence suggests that my storage conditions are sub-optimal.

Over the past year or so about 50% of the bottles I've opened have gone bad - not corked, though. Except for the ones I got as presents, all came from places like Arrowine or Cecile's, where experts helped me pick them (frequently after a tasting). I can think of no other reason for it than temperature fluctuations. So yeah, maybe people do get wrapped up in it, but empirical evidence suggests that my storage conditions are sub-optimal.

The key issue is temperature variability. If the temperature swings in your basement go from +/-10 degrees, then yes, over the years you should be concerned. I think it is more common for basements to experience temperature swings more along the lines of +/-5 degrees, which, while not ideal, should be ok..... As long as the average temperature doesn't get much higher than 70 degrees.